PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Reference modules

BnaaUK
May 13th, 2018, 00:16
Hi

I've been thinking about revisiting one of my favourite editions of D&D which is 3.5. The modules that FG provides for it are great, but they're a little out of date with how FG works now. They don't drag and drop information into the character sheet the way the Pathfinder or 5e offical rules do.

I've attempted to make some but getting the information to populate a character sheet proves to be very difficult. I thought that it might be similar to how the PF core rules worked but it seems that things like races made officially follow different rules to the modules you can make with the interface. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2018, 02:10
There are no plans to update the 3.5E material, since we can’t get any official materials.

When the 3.5E ruleset was built, you just entered the information directly on the character sheet just like you would around the table.

Regards,
JPG

damned
May 13th, 2018, 03:00
The official pathfinder ruleset has features that are not in the 3.5e ruleset so updating the source/module material wont help as the ruleset doesnt have the ability to do the extra functions.

BnaaUK
May 13th, 2018, 10:17
I noticed that the Pathfinder core rules could populate the 3.5 character sheet, so I thought that it would work. Disappointing.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2018, 16:54
The official pathfinder ruleset has features that are not in the 3.5e ruleset so updating the source/module material wont help as the ruleset doesnt have the ability to do the extra functions.
That's actually not the case. All of the code is in the 3.5E ruleset. The only thing the PFRPG ruleset has is PF specific class data in data_common.lua. There's a 3.5E data_common.lua that has base class data too.

@BnaaUK - I recommend you see what you can do using the PFRPG basic rules race and class data in 3.5E - you'll be able to copy the class record and modify for 3.5E. You can open the PFRPG Basic Rules module in a 3.5E campaign if you use this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension Hopefully this will give you the format you need to create working drag/drop record for 3.5E.

BnaaUK
May 13th, 2018, 17:22
That's actually not the case. All of the code is in the 3.5E ruleset. The only thing the PFRPG ruleset has is PF specific class data in data_common.lua. There's a 3.5E data_common.lua that has base class data too.

@BnaaUK - I recommend you see what you can do using the PFRPG basic rules race and class data in 3.5E - you'll be able to copy the class record and modify for 3.5E. You can open the PFRPG Basic Rules module in a 3.5E campaign if you use this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension Hopefully this will give you the format you need to create working drag/drop record for 3.5E.

Thanks for the advice. Though the PF core rules do open in the 3.5 ruleset anyway.

I hadn't actually considered modifying the existing PF data for 3.5.

damned
May 13th, 2018, 22:33
My apologies - I had thought the Official PF ruleset had more drag n drop and automation...

Trenloe
May 13th, 2018, 22:53
My apologies - I had thought the Official PF ruleset had more drag n drop and automation...
There's no "official" PF ruleset as such - i.e you don't get a new ruleset if you purchase the official Pathfinder core rules module. The ruleset that comes with Fantasy Grounds as standard is the PF ruleset that everyone uses.

The Pathfinder OGL (Basic Rules) module that comes with Fantasy Grounds has recently had the drag/drop functionality added to it. As Moon Wizard mentioned, there are no plans to do the same for the 3.5E OGL material included with Fantasy Grounds. So - the best approach is to start with the Pathfinder class, race, etc. make a copy and then edit as required.