PDA

View Full Version : Issues getting players connected to the GM - ESET problems?

pauljmendoza
May 11th, 2018, 02:04
At this point, over three weeks now, no one can connect, and the startup screen connection test is green for all of us. As far as I know all of my ports are correctly forwarded - and they were about a month ago, people were able to get on and game one night. Now I am so frustrated with this. One thing however, is I still cannot detect 1802 on canyouseeme, actually even when I did run games I couldn't get canyouseeme to show the port as open. I have ESET as a firewall, and it's disabled Windows Defender, I wonder if there is a conflict there?

Gwydion
May 11th, 2018, 02:21
At this point, over three weeks now, no one can connect, and the startup screen connection test is green for all of us. As far as I know all of my ports are correctly forwarded - and they were about a month ago, people were able to get on and game one night. Now I am so frustrated with this. One thing however, is I still cannot detect 1802 on canyouseeme, actually even when I did run games I couldn't get canyouseeme to show the port as open. I have ESET as a firewall, and it's disabled Windows Defender, I wonder if there is a conflict there?

Have you tried whitelisting fantasy grounds in ESET? Do you have a specific rule for it? Also, have you set your connection as private (vs public)? I'm around tonight and happy to try to jump on your table if you need to test something. Just PM me if you'd like. You can join me in my discord text chat as well. Doing some stuff around the house so not in voice, but can definitely help. https://discord.gg/ZbjZnh8

Gwydion
May 11th, 2018, 02:22
Have you tried whitelisting fantasy grounds in ESET? Do you have a specific rule for it? Also, have you set your connection as private (vs public)? I'm around tonight and happy to try to jump on your table if you need to test something. Just PM me if you'd like. You can join me in my discord text chat as well. Doing some stuff around the house so not in voice, but can definitely help. https://discord.gg/ZbjZnh8

Also, do you have a modem/router together or do you have a modem and a router? I have to forward from my modem to my router to my machine and sometimes the internal ip of my router changes and I have to update my forwarding rule...

pauljmendoza
May 11th, 2018, 03:25
Cool, I am going to jump back on to try some more shortly.

pauljmendoza
May 11th, 2018, 03:37
One thing I just realized as well, is that I am using a Wi Fi range extender. that had not occurred to me as a possible problem.

Nylanfs
May 11th, 2018, 14:22
That is going to be a problem, Unless you are using https://eero.com/ almost all other extenders (that I'm aware of) setup a separate network inside your network.

Gwydion
May 11th, 2018, 14:59
That is going to be a problem, Unless you are using https://eero.com/ almost all other extenders (that I'm aware of) setup a separate network inside your network.

That is interesting and something I was not aware of. He did turn it off and we still had an issue with the connection.... hmmm....

Trenloe
May 12th, 2018, 03:30
I've moved these posts to a new thread specific to this issue. Having them posted in the connection alternatives thread wasn't really appropriate for investigating a specific issue. Hope you get it fixed.

pauljmendoza
May 17th, 2018, 02:30
Thank you for moving them!
I am still trying to work through this, back at the computer tonight. Specifically not using the range extender. I had before but not after all of Gwydion's help.

Gwydion
May 17th, 2018, 03:04
Thank you for moving them!
I am still trying to work through this, back at the computer tonight. Specifically not using the range extender. I had before but not after all of Gwydion's help.

Keep us posted! I'm playing a game right now but will check in to see how it goes...

pauljmendoza
May 17th, 2018, 04:57
Still no go!

damned
May 17th, 2018, 08:58
pauljmendoza send me your email via PM and I will have a look with you.

Gwydion
May 17th, 2018, 12:55
pauljmendoza send me your email via PM and I will have a look with you.

Damned will get you sorted! Keep us posted.