PDA

View Full Version : 5 E D&D Players use of monster manual?

Rabidbat
May 11th, 2018, 23:00
As a player in D@D 5E is it okay to look up monsters you encounter in the Monster Manual?

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2018, 23:14
You probably shouldn’t since that comes under the heading of meta gaming which takes away from some aspects of envpcountering them. Of course if you own the MM it is probably hard not to look.

LordEntrails
May 11th, 2018, 23:56
I don't give my players access, and as a player I don't want to know the details, takes away the mystery and fun.

damned
May 12th, 2018, 02:24
As a player in D@D 5E is it okay to look up monsters you encounter in the Monster Manual?

No. Its not.

Halfront
May 12th, 2018, 03:23
I fully agree with Zac, Lord, and damned...it would be really poor form to do that as the DM probably worked hard for the encounter and meta gaming just ruins the enitre experience. Just sit back and enjoy your DM's ride!

shadzar
May 12th, 2018, 15:16

Yes, after the game, not during it.

You may not always want to be a player, and if you have a question about how something works, you can read it and ask your DM to learn.

Just don't turn into a rules lawyer saying "but the rules say this..."

For example monsters could have been changed from the default MM listing, like in White Plume Mountain. the book says one thing, but the adventure says another.

The only way to learn about how something worked is to ask after the game.

NEVER read the GM books during the game unless it is 3.5 and you have to buy items from the DMG, or summon monsters from the MM, because that system is just a disorganized mess with where it puts what info.

also NEVER question the DM about how something works during the game. He has to keep the game going, not sto for every question, because there is more than 1 player. so take notes on tins you have a questino about and ask them later even if it isnt about a monster.

Bonkon
May 12th, 2018, 19:51
I am on the "No" train myself.
As a player it is up to the DM to let you know what your character knows, as Shadzar mentioned some monsters could be changed from the MM for a specific reason by the DM and, as a player, it is none of your business as to why :)

If you are going to also DM (Which I am doing for the first time on FG and 5E) you will have outside knowledge that could ruin an entire play session for your whole group and DM.

If you feel something is egregious and you know it, send a whisper to the DM with your concerns (Our whole group is new to 5E and our DM keeps thinking of monsters in 2E mode, like Drow and magic resistance working differently now).

Grommit57
May 12th, 2018, 20:26
As a general rule, NO, the PC's do not get access to the MM. That said I've been playing with the same group of six people for about 12 years now. I don't think there are too many monster in the manual that we don't recognize anyway. PC's at any level should stay in character. Just because you know something doesn't mean your character does. One of the things you have to deal with when you've played with the same folks on a regular basis.