PDA

View Full Version : Can players whisper each other?

eriadoc
May 2nd, 2006, 17:21
I haven't yet found out how, yet this seems so basic; I'm sure I am simply overlooking it. Thanks in advance :)

LordTomar
May 2nd, 2006, 17:33
nope the whisper command only works for talking to the DM.

Though there is a way of sending messages to other players I heard about, but never tried it.

Cypher
May 2nd, 2006, 19:36
nope the whisper command only works for talking to the DM.

Though there is a way of sending messages to other players I heard about, but never tried it.

Really? Because I was a player and whispered to another player. If you just do /w message that goes to the DM, but if you do /w <character name> message it goes to that character.

Griogre
May 2nd, 2006, 22:28
Really? Because I was a player and whispered to another player. If you just do /w message that goes to the DM, but if you do /w <character name> message it goes to that character.
We tried this the other night and it did not work. Do you actually need the <>?

Cypher
May 2nd, 2006, 22:35
We tried this the other night and it did not work. Do you actually need the <>?

no you didn't need the <>

maybe the player I was messaging didn't get the message, but it appeared the exact same fuscia text a whisper has. I'll have to test this out.

Testing...

Results...

I'm a dope :p I was sending whispers to the DM with the player's name at the front. Hahaha. So yeah it looks like whispering among players is forbidden. Would be really nice if this feature was included.

LordTomar
May 2nd, 2006, 23:05
no you didn't need the <>

maybe the player I was messaging didn't get the message, but it appeared the exact same fuscia text a whisper has. I'll have to test this out.

Testing...

Results...

I'm a dope :p I was sending whispers to the DM with the player's name at the front. Hahaha. So yeah it looks like whispering among players is forbidden. Would be really nice if this feature was included.

Dont tell the DMs for my group... but if I need to send a PM to someone other then the DM, I just use ICQ/MSN.

Griogre
May 2nd, 2006, 23:07
It would be a nice feature. I believe it may show up in 1.06? The party in my game got split up last time and we could have used it.

Griogre
May 2nd, 2006, 23:10
Dont tell the DMs for my group... but if I need to send a PM to someone other then the DM, I just use ICQ/MSN.
Funny thing, I'm the DM and that's what I told my split party to do with Yahoo, but some are in 1024x768 and can't see a second app. :( I'm afraid to tell them to go to a higher resolution for fear of messing up their monitors. :p

heruca
May 3rd, 2006, 06:54
Does alt-tab not work with FG?

Griogre
May 3rd, 2006, 07:14
It does, but Alt tab is no help if you don't already have another app running. It wasn't that big a deal. The guy with that problem quit out of FG then switched channels on teamspeak then went back into FG.

I believe that an app like FG one of which purposes is to allow players and game masters to communicate - should allow whispers to and from everyone. My 2 cents.

DarkStar
May 3rd, 2006, 08:45
It does, but Alt tab is no help if you don't already have another app running.
In that case, press the Windows key, it will bring up the Start Menu, so you can run a program off it, open your My Computer, My Documents and other folders and also use the quicklaunch bar.

richvalle
May 3rd, 2006, 14:39
I'd agree only if the DM also gets all whispers. I don't think players should be 'passing notes' to each other with out the dm knowing what's going on. For one thing this encourages a 'us against the dm' sort of mentality.

rv

cantrels
May 3rd, 2006, 16:22
I personally would love to see the ability for whispers between players added to FG. As other folks have pointed out, there is *nothing* preventing these players from having private conversations using other software like ICQ, MSN, etc. or they could be in Teamspeak/Ventrilo or on the phone.

Therefore, why not add it into FG and make that communication less cumbersome? I know as a DM I could really care less if my players want to say without me knowing things like "hey, I think there's gonna be a rust monster in the next room, be ready" or "Hey man, I was hitting on Julie last night, blah blah" :P

It's just something that would be beneficial I think

Jozie
May 3rd, 2006, 17:17
I'd agree only if the DM also gets all whispers. I don't think players should be 'passing notes' to each other with out the dm knowing what's going on. For one thing this encourages a 'us against the dm' sort of mentality.

I say let them talk in private. The more they plan together the better. It should be players vs the DM. It is more important that the DM understand it is not DM vs player. DM facilitate the story and fill it with twists. The players are trying to outwit the DM's traps and oogies. It is a big part of the fun.

Our group uses MSN and Ventrilo with Fantasy Grounds. It has revived out playing sessions since we are so spread out.

Cantstanzya
May 3rd, 2006, 17:44
It does, but Alt tab is no help if you don't already have another app running. It wasn't that big a deal. The guy with that problem quit out of FG then switched channels on teamspeak then went back into FG.

I believe that an app like FG one of which purposes is to allow players and game masters to communicate - should allow whispers to and from everyone. My 2 cents.Please do a search on the forums for this. It has all been covered before.

BaldMike
May 4th, 2006, 03:38
My two coppers, but I have to agree with rv on this one.

I've been on both sides of the DM screen in my life and I definitely support the idea of FG being able to handle player to player whispers. However, the DM should have access to all.

A good DM won't use this against any player. He/she will just make sure that the rules are maintained.

LordTomar
May 4th, 2006, 06:30
I say let them talk in private. The more they plan together the better. It should be players vs the DM. It is more important that the DM understand it is not DM vs player.

My view is that its not players VS the DM or DM vs the player. In my opinion playing DnD is more of a group story telling. The DM creates the framework and the broad story, and the players help him flesh it out.

Because of this, my opinion is that the players shouldnt be able to communicate without the DM knowing. (though when I play Im guilty of using IM)

acmer
May 4th, 2006, 12:02
IM is a great tool. I use FG in windowed mode so I can see if someone sends a message. We had an orc in our party and I was the only one that could translate it to others. Worked well with MSN. Also if the party is split up for a while a group chat in MSN would work quite well.

If the DM had a choice in some options-window that he could hide or show the whispers in the beginning of a session from the DM it would be pretty nice. When the DM sees the players planning an attack he might somehow, unknowingly, make the enemy aware of the plan to a certain degree. Maybe he has not decided on the guards positioning or he balances the guards positions to undermine a diversion. In cases like those, the DM should react as a guard and not as an all-seeing god.

richvalle
May 4th, 2006, 14:52
I say let them talk in private. The more they plan together the better. It should be players vs the DM. It is more important that the DM understand it is not DM vs player. DM facilitate the story and fill it with twists. The players are trying to outwit the DM's traps and oogies. It is a big part of the fun.

Our group uses MSN and Ventrilo with Fantasy Grounds. It has revived out playing sessions since we are so spread out.

I guess, for me, I'm better at keeping things impartial vs trying to think of what happens in a split second.

If I know what the players are planning, I can thing about what the consequence of that plan is. I don't want to have a plan sprung on me where I have to stop the game and think about what happens.

I'll admit that is just my dm style though.

That post about having the guy translate for the orc is a good one. Though no reason the dm shouldn't see those.

rv

Craw
May 4th, 2006, 17:09
As a DM I'd be for a whole separate player to player window. The main window gets spammed enough with player banter (which is desireable, of course) that the DM can lose track of questions sent to the DM while looking at something else.

Cantstanzya
May 4th, 2006, 17:27
I say let them talk in private. The more they plan together the better. It should be players vs the DM. It is more important that the DM understand it is not DM vs player.It should not be players vs the DM or DM vs the players. At any time a DM can kill off a party or select players regardless of what the party does. So if it was DM vs player or players vs DM the DM would always win. The DM is a moderator of a story and an enforcer of the rules and should always be neutral. The player characters should not think that they are fighting against the DM, but against the creatures and storyline. Any good DM would not use the players plot/plans against them. Anyone that thinks it should be players vs the DM might be better off sticking to board games.

Griogre
May 5th, 2006, 01:04
While, it is not really important to me that I be able to monitor player plans and their whispers - I do agree with richvalle that sometimes knowing what players are planning can help speed the flow of the game, because while they make whatever plans they are making I can take a second to think about what the results might be. That way when they do whatever, I don't have to stop and think about it.

Despite this, I know some players prefer non monitored communications and it just doesn't matter much to me. I am much more concerned about the issue of more whisper messages running through the DM chat window causing me to miss other stuff.

The chat window can get crowded and scroll pretty quick - and this from a game that uses voice.