PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds shared Installation Files

Tielc
May 10th, 2018, 14:53
Greetings,

Right now I have Fantasy Grounds installed on my desktop computer. I believe I was told I could run it on a second machine for when I need to travel for work for instance. However, licensing aside, I have a question about the actual content files themselves.

To avoid having my work locked to a single machine I set my data directory during installation to a Dropbox folder on my Desktop (ie. D:\Dropbox\Fantasy Grounds). This worked back in the day when I used MapTools anyway. When I install Fantasy Grounds on the laptop and point to the synced folder on that machine (also D:\Dropbox\Fantasy Grounds), will I see the same Campaigns, Characters, etc. on the other machine. Rather, will I have a synced content across both computers? I'm heading out of town and basically need to know if I have to manually copy campaign files around from machine to machine otherwise.

Trenloe
May 10th, 2018, 15:06
Do not use a cloud sync (or any other sync service) like this on your live data. FG constantly writes to a bunch of campaign files when it is running and the sync service can cause corruption of this data due to 2 different applications updating the FG data files at the same time.

The recommendation is to setup an offline copy (when FG isn't running) or to manually backup to Dropbox from one computer and then to manually copy the changed data from Dropbox onto the other computer (again when FG isn't running).

You can use other methods USB drive, shared network drive, etc.. But don't use active backup/sync apps on your live FG data.

Some ways of setting up a backup script here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35578-How-to-back-up-AppData-folder-to-OneDrive-automatically I'm sure damned posted something more up to date recently, but I can't find it with a quick search.

Tielc
May 10th, 2018, 15:10
Alright, good to know, thank you for the warning. I'll look at moving my data out of dropbox on my desktop later today then.

damned
May 11th, 2018, 14:56
Alright, good to know, thank you for the warning. I'll look at moving my data out of dropbox on my desktop later today then.

If you insist on pointing it to DropBox - pause DropBox on all machines whenever FG is running.