PDA

View Full Version : LFP - 5E Princes of the Apocalypse - Wednesdays 8-11 PM EDT/GMT-4

leozelig
May 8th, 2018, 13:53
Game Information

Ruleset: D&D 5E
DM License: Ultimate
Day: Wednesdays (weekly)
Time: 8-11 PM EDT/GMT-4
First Session: May 16, 2018 (character creation and brief game session)
Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms, northeast of Waterdeep
No. of Players: 4-7
Play Style: Combat-heavy with opportunities for roleplay depending on tactics (stealth, disguise, etc.)
Voice Chat: Discord, FG server to start

Prologue
A terrible threat gathers in the North. Throughout this region of the Forgotten Realms, savage marauders bring destruction. Monsters are on the prowl, preying on flocks, rampaging through croplands, and attacking homesteads and travelers. In settlements, discord and suspicion grow. Sinister strangers lurk in the shadows, whispering about how everything is soon to change. This year brought an unseasonably warm and stormy spring. Tales spread of flooding, windstorms, wildfires, and tremors.

How to Apply
Read posts #2 and #3 and reply to this thread with the following information:

Preferred race, class, and alignment
Experience with D&D and FG
Brief character concept – maybe 2-3 sentences, nothing too elaborate

leozelig
May 8th, 2018, 13:53
Player Expectations

Respect your fellow players and DM. Disruptive players will be issued a warning or asked to leave the game.
Approach the game with a cooperative spirit and allow everyone a chance to shine.
Show up on time and stay engaged throughout the session.
Occasional absences are expected – please notify the group ahead of time whenever possible.
The DM’s decision is final with respect to rules interpretation. Players may offer suggestions but must be willing to accept the ruling and move on with the game.

Character Creation
Source Material: Player’s Handbook, Elemental Evil Player’s Companion, Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide, and Xanathar’s Guide to Everything.
(Note: I own the first three FG modules, but not Xanathar’s Guide.)
Starting Level: 3
Ability Scores: Standard array or point buy.
Alignment: No evil characters.
Factions (optional): Players can choose a connection to one of five factions:

The Harpers: A scattered network of spellcasters and spies. The Harpers advocate equality and covertly oppose the abuse of power. Bards and wizards are their most prominent members.
The Order of the Gauntlet: A military organization of paladins, clerics, and monks. Members are faithful and vigilant seekers of justice who exact swift retribution against those who violate the law.
The Emerald Enclave: This group of wilderness survivalists preserves the natural order while rooting out unnatural threats. Many are barbarians, druids, and rangers.
The Lords’ Alliance: A shaky compact of aggressive political powers concerned with mutual security and prosperity. Fighters and sorcerers are prevalent among alliance agents, often glory hounds seeking personal recognition.
The Zhentarim: This shadow network seeks to expand its influence and power base throughout Faerun. Rogues and warlocks fill the ranks, but the faction recruits any who can conduct its business without too many moral reservations.

leozelig
May 8th, 2018, 13:54
About the DM
I started playing D&D in the early 80’s, migrating to CRPGs like the gold box series and Baldur’s Gate for some time before returning to the tabletop around 10 years ago. I have hosted and played many games on FG using various rulesets, although I am not a professional DM by any means. I enjoy the shared storytelling element of RPGs and encourage players to offer ideas to enhance their enjoyment of the game. I will work to create an immersive and challenging adventure for everyone. In return, I ask that everyone bring a relaxed and friendly attitude to the table!

More About Play Style
Published modules typically present a more structured storyline than homebrew games, which is not to say that multiple paths forward are not possible, but those who delight in running off the rails at every turn might find this adventure overly constraining.

Some players enjoy roleplaying and interaction more than others, and I will do my best to appeal to individual player preferences in that respect. Players are encouraged to form ties with the various NPCs encountered during their travels and to incorporate their characters’ traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws into the game.

I prefer to run my games according to the rules as written with no special house rules. Dice rolls will resolve most (but not all) non-combat actions. Some encounters are resolved in the “theater of the mind” so players must be comfortable with a narrative style of combat. Above all, please remember that nobody enjoys a rules lawyer!

PC death is not a frequent occurrence in my games (and is rarely permanent), but parts of the adventure can be quite challenging. If you are particularly sensitive about the prospect of PC death, then this is not the game for you.

ANerdNamedLomax
May 8th, 2018, 14:41
CG Halfling Barbarian because there aren't enough in the world.

I've been playing dnd since the 5th edition starter box first released and fell in the love with the game immediately. I have messed around with fantasy ground and have a good grasp of the basics (character creation, how to use skills, attacks, etc) but I have not used it to play an actual game. I have seen numerous videos on youtube.

(Still working on a name) When he was a child, his village was slaughtered and was found by a group of Orc (can be changed to fit your RP needs) Barbarians who raised him as their own. Although he wasn't gifted with their innate strength, he found ways to prove his worth and has been fully recognized as one of their own.

I hope that you will add this Halfling to your story so that he may further show the world his Bravery and make a name for his tribe.

Tozzax
May 8th, 2018, 15:49
NG Gnome Wizard

Extensive D&D knowledge, primarily as DM, but putting that aside for a while.

Extensive FG knowledge, but always something new to learn

Minalin is an anthropologist who spent his academic career studying (living with) goblin societies. He spent multiple generations and became well regarded in the various goblin villages he studied. While still a scholarly type, his time living with goblins has given him a bit of an edge. His fighting style is reflective of his time with goblins, so not typical wizardry. He can be part of the Harpers, if it's necessary.

Sterling191
May 8th, 2018, 16:29
CN Half-Elf Rogue

Extensive DnD Knowledge (started out with 2E back in the stone age)

Moderate FG Knowledge. Been using it ~6 months and can hold my own, but highly advanced stuff is likely beyond me.

<Name TBD> is about as plain as they come: have a job and need a blade? He's your elfling. Growing up on the docks of Neverwinter meant a rough existence, and he's got the scars to prove it. But he's always got his eyes open for a leg up, and the next job. If you've got the gold that is.

Flamestrike
May 8th, 2018, 17:55
NG High Elf Paladin of Mystra

Been playing DnD since the old redbox basic days, played a ton of 2nd ed in high school, played one campaign until about level 7 in 3rd ed, one game of 4th ed and a handful of other 5th ed game here. Played a lot Pathfinder Society games as well.

Fairly low on the Fantasy Grounds knowledge. I do own an ultimate license, I just havent spent enough time with it.

Sangir has been granted a vision of impending doom by the Mystra, the Goddess of Magic and Mysteries, and has been directed to head north of Waterdeep and report back to his church anything regarding the disturbance he finds.

xAxTragicxEndx
May 8th, 2018, 20:14
I'm willing to throw my name in.

CN Half elf Divine Sorcerer with a slight dip into warlock at appropriate level

My experience with d&d is limited to 5e only. Been playing irl for a few months and really enjoy it. Looking to join a more permanent campaign as apposed to a one shot so this sounds great. I'm a graduate of the Fantasy Grounds College so my experience is limited but good. Standard License.

Haven Enedir
Growing up seeing the pain and death of the world around him, Haven realized that he was doomed to watch the world suffer. Then a spark ignited in his soul filling his being with divine essence. Some (insert whatever group helps the story) view his power as a threat and wish to see him destroyed. Realizing that he still needed the power to help himself so he can help others, Haven made a pact with the hexblade. This choice has given him the freedom to save a life, or take one as needed.

kerrigaj
May 8th, 2018, 21:43
I would love to join the adventure:

Half-Orc, Fighter, CG
Played DnD since the early 1980s. 5E and FGF (before that, Roll 20) for three years.

Wyk Thakk
Wyk grew up hard in the bitter Frozenfar region of Northwest Faerūn. His father was an unknown Orc raider and his human mother was butchered during another Orc raid not four years ago. Wyk was an adolescent at the time and will never forgive himself for his failure to defend his mother, and the only true moral compass he has seen. Wyk's soul burns with a passion to find and destroy his father, while seeking comradeship from those who might, one day, come close to his mother's grace, strength and honor. Wyk doesn't make friends easily, but would die to defend those he is sworn to.

Kendryek
May 8th, 2018, 23:34
Ooh pick me!

Half-Elf or Human (Variant), Cleric 1/Wizard 2 Battlefield Controller, CG

I'm new to DnD 5E and FG playing over about 6 months.

Grenzyliak/Grennickson -
Orphaned and taken in by librarian acolytes of <insert god of knowledge> Gren was raised as a formal cleric. This pious life of solemnity and slow contemplation could not contain Gren's powerful and overabundant curiosity towards the outside world and all things arcane. After reading all 4,427 tomes available to his library, Gren orchestrated his escape from his sheltered life. With his newly "borrowed" over-sized set of cleric's gear, Gren is eager to find his wizardly place in a world finally at his fingertips.

leozelig
May 9th, 2018, 02:41
Wow, great to see so much interest!

I count 7 players, which I will call a full party. If anyone else wants to claim a spot as an alternate, feel free to post your interest here. Sometimes people drop out after a few sessions for one reason or another, so you never know...

leozelig
May 9th, 2018, 04:00
Current Party
NG Gnome Wizard (Tozzax)
NG Elf Paladin (Flamestrike)
CN Half-Elf Sorcerer (xAxTragicxEndx)
CG Half-Orc Fighter (kerrigaj)
CG Human Cleric 1/Wizard2 (Kendryek)
CN Human Monk (Bretton)

Alternates
CN Human Paladin/Barbarian (Crankshot)
CN Halfling Rogue (Skillkoil)
NG Half-Elf Fighter/Sorcerer (PureHatred)

I will make the server available in the evenings this week so you can test your connection and knock out the initial download, which can take awhile. If you aren't set up on Discord, try to get that rolling and check out the FG channel before the first session.

You can roll up as much (or as little) of your 3rd level character as you want before 5/16/18. During the first session, we will set up your character sheets and work out any technical hiccups at the very least. If things go well, we can kick off the adventure!

Host Server Alias
brawny bard idle luck

Discord FG Server
https://discord.gg/bqWmkqb

xAxTragicxEndx
May 9th, 2018, 04:05
I like the mix in this party so far. Good mix of classes.

kerrigaj
May 9th, 2018, 12:24
Excellent - I'll PM an export of Wyk for you to verify and upload to your server. I used a point buy system to generate it. leozelig, I'll follow up with a background for your input before I share it with the group.

leozelig
May 10th, 2018, 00:16
Definitely a good mix of classes. The races make for an interesting group photo, no doubt! :)

I will try to have the server up around 7 PM for the next few days at least (server alias = brawny bard idle luck). If you prefer, kerrigaj's method works also...

kerrigaj
May 10th, 2018, 00:20
Definitely a good mix of classes. The races make for an interesting group photo, no doubt! :)

I will try to have the server up around 7 PM for the next few days at least (server alias = brawny bard idle luck). If you prefer, kerrigaj's method works also...

Thanks. I hope to dial in soon. What's your handle on Discord and I'll PM you the character? Can't send files using FG that I know of.

Looking forward to meeting you!

leozelig
May 10th, 2018, 01:18
Discord handle is also leozelig. I will be afk while the server is up.

kerrigaj
May 10th, 2018, 02:02
Discord handle is also leozelig. I will be afk while the server is up.

Great - thanks. I just recreated the character on your server. Let me know if you have any comments or queries - I'll work on a richer background tomorrow. BTW, I have Xanthar's Guide - not sure if I can share it with you in any way?

Anyone in the party think of a reason why they may know a young battered half-orc, let me know and we can perhaps develop backgrounds that overlap.

Crankshot
May 10th, 2018, 03:15
I would like to put my hat in as an alternate. Variant human Oath of Conquest Paladin/Totem of the Bear Barbarian multiclass, chaotic neutral barbarian levels came first as a means of survival, then he found religion. thus paladin. I've been playing dnd since 3rd Ed, and using FG for almost 3 years.

leozelig
May 10th, 2018, 11:55
I would like to put my hat in as an alternate. Variant human Oath of Conquest Paladin/Totem of the Bear Barbarian multiclass, chaotic neutral barbarian levels came first as a means of survival, then he found religion. thus paladin. I've been playing dnd since 3rd Ed, and using FG for almost 3 years.

Done! I anticipate some turnover during the early stages before the group stabilizes. That sounds like a fun character :)

xAxTragicxEndx
May 10th, 2018, 18:07
Great - thanks. I just recreated the character on your server. Let me know if you have any comments or queries - I'll work on a richer background tomorrow. BTW, I have Xanthar's Guide - not sure if I can share it with you in any way?

Anyone in the party think of a reason why they may know a young battered half-orc, let me know and we can perhaps develop backgrounds that overlap.

If you read the description on Haven we could work a backstory together. I've seen the pain and death in the world. I'm trying to help people now. Could spin a found you near death type thing and since were both half breed we hit it off. Lol.

And let me know what you find out about sharing XGE. My classes are out of that book since I have it irl but if I need to buy it on FG then I will.

kerrigaj
May 10th, 2018, 18:54
If you read the description on Haven we could work a backstory together. I've seen the pain and death in the world. I'm trying to help people now. Could spin a found you near death type thing and since were both half breed we hit it off. Lol.

And let me know what you find out about sharing XGE. My classes are out of that book since I have it irl but if I need to buy it on FG then I will.

There aren't many half-elves North of the Spine of the World, but this could work if you're an outcast from the South. If you're a young half-elf and were close to my (human) sister before her disappearance and treated her well, you'd have a friend for life...

If I haven't heard earlier, when we first play I'll ask leozelig whether I can share my XGE with his players at all.

xAxTragicxEndx
May 10th, 2018, 19:04
I'm willing to run with that story. I planned on making my character a world traveler since he wants to help those in need and the big baddies see his divine sorcery and a bad thing. I'm good with the close friend of the sister approach. Could actually help give me a reason to travel. Looking for a lost friend and helping those I meet along the way.

leozelig
May 10th, 2018, 22:20
You guys are onto something, definitely build on that!

Here's a thought... Haven wouldn't necessarily need to be in the Spine of the World. Wyk (kerrigaj's PC) has wandered south out of the Spine of the World by the start of this adventure, presumably in pursuit of his sister or tracking the orc horde. Maybe the trail led to Haven and then went cold, drawing them both into the Dessarin Valley where the adventure is set. Haven might have encountered Wyk's sister while gathering material components for a spell - she had an affinity for herbalism, or he was charged with protecting her at some point as she fled the Spine of the World and knew that she was bound for the Dessarin Valley, but didn't actually accompany her that far.

I am assuming all of the PCs have some previous experience with each other when they arrive in Red Larch, where the adventure begins (in the year 1491 DR). Whether we hash out the details of those connections or leave it ambiguous is up to you. I have found that the "strangers in a tavern" trope makes some players uncomfortable so I want to avoid that, and inspiration for a character background often reveals itself during the course of the adventure and not always at the beginning.

xAxTragicxEndx
May 10th, 2018, 22:23
I'm game for anything. If you guys have a certain role you want me to fill them I'm good with that. Not a huge fan of the "he was charged with protecting her at some point as she fled the Spine of the World and knew that she was bound for the Dessarin Valley, but didn't actually accompany her that far" because that makes me sound terrible. Lol.

Bretton
May 10th, 2018, 22:34
Human, monk, CN.
I have played/Dm'd DnD since 2ed was new. I have used FG as a demo before steam and just started really "learning" its functions through the FGC.
Character is a shadow monk, stealthy more from a deep fear of capture by the dojo that destroyed my monastery. High flying sneak attacker when forced into it. When not in danger he loves to make noodles (see movie, they call me Bruce).

Brett

kerrigaj
May 10th, 2018, 22:37
Love the creativity! How about something along these lines:

We need a rationale why Wyn could be South of The Spine of the World: Escaped from / sold into slavery by the Orcs?
A rationale why Haven is connected with her: Was she the servant of an unsavory sorceror who spent the winter at a library where Haven was researching something? Did Haven grow to respect (love?) the resilient herbalist?
A rationale why Wyk and Haven are friends: Did Haven write to Wyk once he knew about her tragic separation with news of her fate? Did Haven do everything in his power to keep her at the library pending Wyks arrival, but fall foul of the fell sorceror? Did Wyk travel South with all haste only to miss her by a couple of weeks? Did Wyk and Haven resolve to set out in pursuit of Wyn, only to discover the trail went cold around Red Larch?

This, or something close, would work for me!

kerrigaj
May 10th, 2018, 22:38
Human, monk, CN.
I have played/Dm'd DnD since 2ed was new. I have used FG as a demo before steam and just started really "learning" its functions through the FGC.
Character is a shadow monk, stealthy more from a deep fear of capture by the dojo that destroyed my monastery. High flying sneak attacker when forced into it. When not in danger he loves to make noodles (see movie, they call me Bruce).

Brett

Welcome Master Lee.

leozelig
May 11th, 2018, 00:11
Human, monk, CN.

Brett

Oh man, I loved that movie when I was a kid! I will add you to the alternates list and send you a PM if we end up with an open spot.

leozelig
May 11th, 2018, 00:19
I'm game for anything. If you guys have a certain role you want me to fill them I'm good with that. Not a huge fan of the "he was charged with protecting her at some point as she fled the Spine of the World and knew that she was bound for the Dessarin Valley, but didn't actually accompany her that far" because that makes me sound terrible. Lol.

Nah, I was just thinking you were enlisted to get her to a certain destination before she continued on with another protector ;)

leozelig
May 11th, 2018, 04:26
The question arose about starting equipment at level 3...

According to the DMG, you get standard equipment based on your background and 1st level class. I think it's reasonable to allow spell casters the required material components for their starting spells. We discussed allowing one character to have a couple additional items, but actually I don't think he has the necessary proficiencies, so let's just keep it simple and say standard equipment + material components for starting spells.

We also spoke briefly about resource tracking (food, water). If you guys are interesting in that, we certainly can do it, but I don't usually get bogged down with that level of bookkeeping.

Post your comments if you have any strong feelings one way or another about either of these...

xAxTragicxEndx
May 11th, 2018, 04:33
I'm not too worried about the book keeping aspect of it. It's supposed to be fun, not tedious. And I'm good with that. Next time im in I'll remove the items until I can buy them legitimately.

leozelig
May 11th, 2018, 11:10
I'm not too worried about the book keeping aspect of it. It's supposed to be fun, not tedious. And I'm good with that. Next time im in I'll remove the items until I can buy them legitimately.

Actually I overlooked Hex Warrior, so the proficiencies are not an issue. Go ahead and keep those items since it ties into your class, xAxTragicxEndx. In general, go with standard equipment, and if anyone wants something beyond that, let me know. We also decided an arcane focus was reasonable. After a few sessions, it won't matter either way.

I like how things are shaping up - this should be fun!

kerrigaj
May 11th, 2018, 17:00
if anyone wants something beyond that, let me know.

Only non-background equipment I purchased was a Case for 20 x crossbow quarrels. Trust that 1 GP purchase is OK... ;)

Bretton
May 12th, 2018, 01:35
Roger that Leo

kerrigaj
May 12th, 2018, 16:01
We also spoke briefly about resource tracking (food, water). If you guys are interesting in that, we certainly can do it, but I don't usually get bogged down with that level of bookkeeping.
It's pretty easy to do if set up as an action on the character sheet (I normally only track food unless there's a desert crossing or similar). Rations are also heavy! Also, the variant encumbrance rules are pretty good.

Skillkoil
May 12th, 2018, 18:35
I know i am super late to the party but I thought I would throw my name in just in case.

CN Halfling Rogue Azkin

I have been playing RPG's since the early 90's and I am fairly proficient with FG.

Azkin is a brand new member of the Zhentarim and is looking to overcome his small stature and huge chip on his shoulder, by proving his worth to them. Unfortunately, he is not very brave and is fighting every instinct to run.

leozelig
May 13th, 2018, 03:38
I know i am super late to the party but I thought I would throw my name in just in case.

CN Halfling Rogue Azkin

I have been playing RPG's since the early 90's and I am fairly proficient with FG.

Azkin is a brand new member of the Zhentarim and is looking to overcome his small stature and huge chip on his shoulder, by proving his worth to them. Unfortunately, he is not very brave and is fighting every instinct to run.

Gotcha Skillkoil, I will put you on the list!

leozelig
May 15th, 2018, 03:24
I have set up a Discord channel for the game:
https://discord.gg/bqWmkqb

Six players have set up character sheets, which is a good sign - thank you all for doing that! We should be able to log a respectable game session with the time saved :)

PureHatred
May 18th, 2018, 01:57
I would like to apply as well. NG Half-Elf Fighter/Sorcerer Vincent Valrel, Raised to fight with the rapier, lives to duel and prove his families skills are the best. Thinks lowly of magic users, however he's got a secret, and he's going to have to face a hard truth that an uncontrollable power is growing in him and someday he will either come to terms or be consumed by it.

leozelig
May 18th, 2018, 02:41
I would like to apply as well. NG Half-Elf Fighter/Sorcerer Vincent Valrel, Raised to fight with the rapier, lives to duel and prove his families skills are the best. Thinks lowly of magic users, however he's got a secret, and he's going to have to face a hard truth that an uncontrollable power is growing in him and someday he will either come to terms or be consumed by it.

Ok, PureHatred, I will put you on the list, which you can find in post #12...