PDA

View Full Version : Any news on 1.06?

KyleC
April 30th, 2006, 21:33
As we are approaching May, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about version 1.06? The lack of recent news regarding its release has me wondering if it is further off than expected. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-KyleC

Cantstanzya
April 30th, 2006, 23:29
I was hoping to hear something as well. A quick update from the devs would be nice.

Snigwiddle
April 30th, 2006, 23:43
I just bought the Full version and a Light version...I've been haunting these forums for awhile and finally decided to take the plunge...I really hope the 1.06 patch is still on its way...i'm getting a little nervous about there not being any information about it...Any news at all would be appreciated very much...

LordTomar
May 1st, 2006, 00:10
About a week ago, on the FG IRC channel, Dupre talked a little about the 1.06 patch. It was only Cypher and myself active on the chat at that time, but from what Dupre said, they are doing internal testing on 1.06 right now, and that they should post it soon for beta testing.

If anyone wants, I can post the chat log.

Sigurd
May 1st, 2006, 02:16
Thanks Tomar,

Hearsay information may be unfair. I wish there was an official statement.

In all truth I think the silence from the developers is approaching silly.

In February there was a semi official statement that it would be done this quarter. Afterwords it was underlined that the quarter ended in March so it would be done at the end of March.

March passed with no official word that I saw and we have dead silence.

It is understandable that they do not want to have us live in their front pockets and bother them about bits and bobs. It is understandable that some dates slipped. I think everyone wants a good release more than a fast release.

On the other hand, as a user, I hope my enthusiasm for their product is supported with frank statements about whats going on. I really like this product, as does everyone eager for a patch release. Being kept in the dark, by design, is disengenuous. An official statement when the patch date slipped is overdue. An official monthly statement as to what is going on would be normal for many programs.

The message boards serve many good functions, including users helping users thereby lessening the burden on developers. I believe developers read these posts. I believe they let users help each other and save themselves some work. As much as I like the program and appreciate the developers work, I don't think they share enough about what is going on with the program for a user to meaningfully contribute to improving the program.

They certainly create a hole in my supporting the program when I talk to friends about it. I want to say "and they're working on....." but I can't. I notice other members putting their plans for the software on back burners until 1.06 comes out. Without a sense of involvement from the developers those projects tend to fall off the burners and into never never land.

So is 1.06 coming out - I think so.
I heard there was a Beta???
I heard ..... (I could make up anything here - without an official message nobody knows.)

More than that I just dont know.

Sigurd

Tailz Silver Paws
May 1st, 2006, 10:07
It’s a conspiracy I tell you, there is no 1.06 update, there never was, Smiteworks is really a front for a CIA operation to install a Trojan horse virus into our computers that will spy on us all!

Even now the CIA has been logging your games, keeping track of your adventures, watching your every move!

No party is safe, be on your guard!! :eek:

Stuart
May 1st, 2006, 11:27
I notice other members putting their plans for the software on back burners until 1.06 comes out. Without a sense of involvement from the developers those projects tend to fall off the burners and into never never land.

Agreed and this is beginning to become more than slightly concerning.:(

Wavestone
May 1st, 2006, 14:53
I believe Smiteworks are working hard on it.. I would not be surprised that some of the reasons behind the silence is that they want to finish the stuff before talking about it. Not posting about unfinished stuff..

Problem is, as some folks have posted, without communication, the users does n ot know whether the silence is just due to being busy, if there are big code problems, unrealistic ideas of deadlines, 1.06 going vaporware (hopefully not! :( ) or whatever.

I also get the feeling that patch 1.06 is less of a patch and more of a halfway rewrite of FG to accomodate all the stuff they had said they wanted in. Support for scripting and all that. Could be that it was a bigger job than they first thought

The last thing I read about the target date for 1.06, they said it was an April date. I think we should be entitled to at least a statement as to how affairs are now? Is a May date realistic, or should we look to "summer"?

Hopefully 1.06 is soon in coming - FG is a great product, and any improvements are welcome! :)

disco54
May 3rd, 2006, 09:47
They should know better. Gamers are the most ravenous fan base in the world. FG needs to have someone handle PR on the boards. Just have Goblin King or somebody spend a couple hours on a Tuesday updating a dev report. It's better to say your're going to be late, and explain why, then not say anything.

I'd rather that they spend another six months if we get robust scripting out of it.

cantrels
May 3rd, 2006, 16:28
They should know better. Gamers are the most ravenous fan base in the world. FG needs to have someone handle PR on the boards.

I could be hired :P

Jozie
May 3rd, 2006, 17:13
Would probably be lots of people willing to do it for free.

Dupre
May 3rd, 2006, 21:22
Worry not. 1.06 isn't vaporware or anything like it. It includes things we didn't originally plan to, but were forced to put those in now to avoid breaking the XML schema again later on.

Sigurd
May 3rd, 2006, 22:49
Now that makes sense!

Any chance we could get someone to post that sort of message in the 'City Hall' section now and then. Everybody supports you making that sort of judgement call, nobody wants an empty or burdensome patch. Silence however is very hard to get behind or promote.

Sigurd

Paradoxic
May 5th, 2006, 02:24
But... Modern software companies teaches us to avoid thinking of the future... why prevent a break now that you can fix later at twice the annoyance?

WolfStar76
May 5th, 2006, 18:55
Worry not. 1.06 isn't vaporware or anything like it. It includes things we didn't originally plan to, but were forced to put those in now to avoid breaking the XML schema again later on.

Thanks for the update. After all the worrying, I'm surprised more people haven't thanked you as well.

Griogre
May 5th, 2006, 19:17
After all the worrying, I'm surprised more people haven't thanked you as well.
Thanks Dupre. Oh ye of little faith... ;) I must admit I wasn't really worried about 1.06 being vaporware in the first place but I couldn't let Wolf think I was inpolite. :D

Patches are often late, and more triteness (but often true), the last 90% of the patch is the often the toughest for the developers to get done and 1.06 is a major patch; enough so, I'm surprised they didn't call it 1.1.

Why are patches late? Because they are mostly a "to do" list. On a non patch project if things get too late you cut features to shorten the development time. On a patch, if you really want to do everything on the list, then you just keep chugging until you hit the end of the list.

heruca
May 6th, 2006, 01:30
Heh, I think he meant the last 10%. :)

LordTomar
May 6th, 2006, 02:05
Well considering the first 10% is normaly figuring out what you want the patch to add... then Yes I do say the last 90% is the hardest part... that would be the acual programing.

KyleC
May 6th, 2006, 03:57
Not to engage in curmudgeonry, and certainly I appreciate Dupre taking the time to respond, but we don't actually know anything more than we did before his response. Is it possible to give us an estimate on when to expect the larger-than-originally-planned 1.06?

Thanks!
-Kyle

Griogre
May 7th, 2006, 04:43
Heh, I think he meant the last 10%. :)
:D Oopsy - Yeah like Heruca said - that last 10% that sometimes just refuses to go out the fricken door.

Spyke
May 7th, 2006, 06:21

I'm a little concerned about the 'again' in that statement. How will changes to the XML schema in 1.06 affect campaigns and modules based on the current release?

Spyke

BaldMike
May 9th, 2006, 01:25
I'm a little concerned about the 'again' in that statement. How will changes to the XML schema in 1.06 affect campaigns and modules based on the current release?

Spyke

THAT is a very good question! Since I'm not DM'ing, my guess is any impacts would be minimal for me but my DM works awfully hard already!

And by the way, I love the software right now and do appreciate the update. When 1.06 gets done, it gets done. I'm not worried about it, just enjoying the game I'm playin'.

Mike

richvalle
May 9th, 2006, 13:57
THAT is a very good question! Since I'm not DM'ing, my guess is any impacts would be minimal for me but my DM works awfully hard already!

And by the way, I love the software right now and do appreciate the update. When 1.06 gets done, it gets done. I'm not worried about it, just enjoying the game I'm playin'.

Mike

You know, thats the way I feel about it too. The software is good enough that I'm able to run a game every week. While I look forward to the new features (and I'm sure I'll wonder how we ever lived without them once they are in) I don't NEED them right now.

rv

Oberoten
May 9th, 2006, 15:33
You know, thats the way I feel about it too. The software is good enough that I'm able to run a game every week. While I look forward to the new features (and I'm sure I'll wonder how we ever lived without them once they are in) I don't NEED them right now.

rv

Alas, while the product is indeed good as it is. There are some gaming systems that become a bit more cumbersome when you can not easily put dicerolls and the like to handle behind the scenes. I for one is truly looking forward to the new scripting systems. If nothing else so for handling OOD (oodeles of Dice) happenings. And it would be VERY nice to have a /calc function as well if we are ever to run Phoenix command. ;)

Sigurd
May 9th, 2006, 16:49
I agree with you that changing the underlying XML is a pain, you have to understand that you often cant get improvement without change.

It sounds like the Devs are respectful of any changes they have to make (that is a very good thing) but they have to fix and improve the game. As good as it is, FG has some notable holes.

To reduce any alarm over incompatabilities, hold off on implementing major patch revisions for some discovery time by other players. I bet you'll hear about any problems, and workarounds inside of the first month.

It is impossible to please everyone with programming especially if you have to keep everything the same while doing it.

Sigurd

heruca
May 9th, 2006, 20:33
Phoenix Command, cool system. Never met anyone else who played it, though.

Oberoten
May 9th, 2006, 22:39
Phoenix Command, cool system. Never met anyone else who played it, though.

It was a bit of a PITA to play the times I have run it, but on a computer where calculations can be made QUITE a bit easier than in the head, it should be really nice.

Admittedly, I'd prefer to run with Neotech set in modern day for realism/speed factor even if neotech is kinda bogged down by oodles of dice and dice-splitting. Not too fond of too many tables.