PDA

View Full Version : Character Sheet Import Question

eriadoc
April 28th, 2006, 21:47
OK, I am hosting my first game this weekend and I still don't know how to accomplish this. My players have rolled up characters on their local machines and sent the <charactername>.xml files to me via e-mail. I cannot get those to show up when the players connect to me. They only have the option to create a new character. They do not even have the option of playing a local character. I've searched the forums and come up with a bunch of cryptic info, but nothing that I can seem to piece together. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

kalmarjan
April 28th, 2006, 21:51
Place the xml into your db.xml file under the node for characters. Make sure the xml is well formed, and all should be well.

Sandeman

DarkStar
April 28th, 2006, 22:16
I don't know why you are doing this, anyway. Players can pick their local characters while connecting for the first time, when they become server characters. There's no need to touch XML.

eriadoc
April 28th, 2006, 22:23
I don't know why you are doing this, anyway. Players can pick their local characters while connecting for the first time, when they become server characters. There's no need to touch XML.

OK, this is how I would expect it to work, but that's not happening. I guess I am trying to figure out why. I mean, what's the point of having the players roll characters locally if they cannot select them for play upon entering a campaign? If you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Cypher
April 28th, 2006, 22:30
OK, this is how I would expect it to work, but that's not happening. I guess I am trying to figure out why. I mean, what's the point of having the players roll characters locally if they cannot select them for play upon entering a campaign? If you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

For players to create characters locally, and then use them in your game they must use the same ruleset. If you're using the d20-SRD ruleset, and they're creating local characters using the d20 ruleset, they will NOT be given the option to select their locally created character.

Hope that sheds some light.

eriadoc
May 2nd, 2006, 17:18
For players to create characters locally, and then use them in your game they must use the same ruleset. If you're using the d20-SRD ruleset, and they're creating local characters using the d20 ruleset, they will NOT be given the option to select their locally created character.

Hope that sheds some light.

This was the problem. Thanks a ton for the help everyone!