PDA

View Full Version : Simplifying foraging with a macro

HappyCerberus
May 1st, 2018, 17:15
Is it somehow possible to simplify foraging for the group? I'm running Out of the Abyss and the NPCs get to forage, which takes a lot of time. I would prefer this to be a single click.

Is it possible to setup macros like this in Fantasy Grounds?

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2018, 17:57
I suspect you mean effect rather than macro

The easiest way to do this would be to make a group roll from the party sheet. Set the DC you want and then roll a survival skill (or whatever other skill) check.

HappyCerberus
May 1st, 2018, 18:04
I suspect you mean effect rather than macro

The easiest way to do this would be to make a group roll from the party sheet. Set the DC you want and then roll a survival skill (or whatever other skill) check.

I'm not sure, I'm not yet used to the Fantasy Grounds naming.

The problem is that only some characters are supposed to roll. This will not change that much, but I don't know how to set it up.

Trenloe
May 1st, 2018, 18:07
If only specific characters are supposed to roll then you can drag the skill roll for each PC who will roll to the hotkey bar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Hot_Keys). It won't be a single click for all rolls, but you can quickly click all the rolls you need in a row.

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2018, 18:15
Shouldn't the players be making these rolls anyway? Following on from what Trenloe says above the players can also drag the skill into their quick bar and make the roll from there. Note, however that hot keying a skill check is not dynamic; so if the character should increase their skill at some point they would need to re-apply the hot key.

HappyCerberus
May 1st, 2018, 18:20
I'm just using Fantasy Grounds as an aid to run the campaign with a local player view that I project on second monitor for the players.
Also this is for NPCs, they do roll for their own characters.

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2018, 20:29
Have you tried the hotkey bar? I think that's what you'll want. Drag the skills from the NPC (if they have them) there. You can also make your own roll in the chat window and before hitting return drag it to the hotkey you want. You can even right click and rename the roll.

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2018, 20:59
What I'd suggest if this is for NPCs is to create a 'Dummy' player character and control that yourself in your second instance. Give this NPC whatever skills you think are appropriate and just roll the skills on that PC for all of the NPCs. In other words just make one roll on that character and use the result for all of the NPCs.

HappyCerberus
May 1st, 2018, 21:36
What I'd suggest if this is for NPCs is to create a 'Dummy' player character and control that yourself in your second instance. Give this NPC whatever skills you think are appropriate and just roll the skills on that PC for all of the NPCs. In other words just make one roll on that character and use the result for all of the NPCs.

I have considered doing just that, but this screws with the statistics, which for foraging in a survival style campaign, actually matter. You end up having a very binary difficulty. Some days are trivial, some days everyone is starving.

El Condoro
May 1st, 2018, 22:25
Does the foraging add to the fun of the campaign? If not, or if it's only a very minor effect on the overall campaign, consider dumping it or modifying to a single roll with a simple effect. For example, a single skill check DC to avoid one level of exhaustion for that day. Personally, while I like the realism of foraging and wilderness checks like navigation, I find they add little to the fun and I tend to simplify things enormously and narrate results.

hehaub
May 17th, 2018, 00:29
If I am understanding what you are after, you could just make a couple tables, one with the items to forage and one for the check.
Like this I set the DC to 15, and it rolls on the forage table to know what was found.

Zacchaeus
May 17th, 2018, 09:06
I think the OP needs something more granular than that @hehaub. The roll needs to be a skill check which obviously has a bonus or minus depending on the abilities of the character and also the DC might also vary depending on the terrain. This means that there are enormous variations within any one party as to the expected results. Rolling on you table will give an exactly 1 in 4 chance every day of finding food which might be brutal. Changing the DC will still just give a flat percentage which isn't necessarily going to be what you want.

He's also playing in a specific environment in a specific campaign and he is using the details on that campaign for finding food. As he notes in one post this is an important part of the campaign that he and his players are enjoying.

DragonsDen13
May 19th, 2018, 08:08
Maybe you could do it as the 'one roll' thing but create a modified foraging table that gives you a wider range of results:

1-5 they find nothing
6-9 they find enough to feed 1 or 2 people
10-13 they find enough to feed half
14-19 they find enough to feed entire party
20 they find enough for two days

Or something along that lines?