PDA

View Full Version : Questions on editing for Class abilities

imjedi
April 29th, 2018, 20:05
Hey everyone, New here and maybe I am just trying to be more proactive that the ruleset is ready for. I am working on the Deadsuns AP and my group is largely interested in FG. To help push them over that edge, I was working on creating some of their characters so I can show them how the automation can help them in their game play as we are all new to the rules and having to look up rules, DCs, throw dice, etc... has been time consuming, and has taken a lot of our game time from us.

To this end I was trying to just take 1 or 2 of their characters to setup all their special abilities. Any help on what I am doing wrong would be great.

First, Operative.
Here I am trying to setup the bonus for Trick Attack (to be included in the weapon damage roll, or be a new option that can be rolled in addition as necessary. For weapons on that character's sheet, it appears I cannot edit the actual damage that is assigned in the damage section, which is not how the demos of the tool indicated this should work. Is this just not available yet with Starfinder? I assumed that was base functionality of editing, and not something that has to be designed for each ruleset. If I was to setup as a new action(under his actions tab) I was also hoping to set it up so that the skill(s) were right there and the DC was preset as 20+CR of enemy. Then they could just drop the die on the creature(which would grab the appropriate CR) and roll to see if the roll+skill succeeded. Again here, I was able to create a weapon, but not this additional DC roll stuff. I thought maybe setting it up as a spell, but that also seemed incorrect for the process. Maybe I just need to review how special abilities work in PF or 4E/5E to get an understanding of how I should be typing it in?

The second character I had hope to help automate is a Solarian. Here is Was hoping to better track his Stellar Mode and its related bonuses by level, Stellar Revelation abilities and the Damage associated (such as for Supernova) as well as saves allowed. Here again I attempted as a spell class ability, but ran into roadblocks trying to apply damage values.

Is this functionality something that should be working, and I simply am not doing it right, or is this not available yet, and I am spinning my wheels wasting time when I could be doing other stuff that would better aid my players?

-imjedi

Blahness98
April 29th, 2018, 22:36
There are a few ways to do the operative's trick attack. You can do it the way you describe pretty easy. You would first have to make a copy of the weapon your player would be using for his trick attack. Give this weapon a name to denote it is to be used for trick attack. After that is created, you can then use the magnifying glass on the right side of the weapon, you should see the damage section on the bottom. You can then click the +/- button then the + button to add another line of damage to the weapon. Then drag the trick attack dice to the box on the new line and you are done. As the player goes up in level, just adjust the dice in the box as necessary.

Another way to do the trick attack is via effects. If you look at my effects list post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42573-Effects-Lists), the way to automate trick attack with effects is there.

There really isn't a way to automate the confirmation roll of trick attack as it requires the player to know the CR of the monster they are fighting. The other issue would be the bonus to the skill the player uses for trick attack. The +4 (or +1 depending on the skill) would have to be added in manually using the modifier box or by using a skill effect that would expire after a single roll. Let me know if you need assistance with that.

As far as the Solarian goes, I have not played with the class that much. I have made effects for the class (see the post referenced before), but I haven't done the tracking. I can look into it when I get a little time this evening and post back.

imjedi
April 30th, 2018, 00:12
Holy crap. that's awesome. I can now see where I was going about it wrong. This helps a lot. If only there was a way to simply drag those actions to another play for easy copy/paste. oh well. Still amazing work.

Question on the weapon and feat stuff as well as the class actions. Ideally all that should be built into the base design right? Just curious if this is normal to have to create these interactions and have to remember to apply items from feats and weapons./ Like I noticed that the weapons in the ruleset all have their critical set for double damage, but are missing the bonus damage effects(such as the Azimuth Laser Pistol). Should we normally need to add the bonus damage for the burn effect? I tried to add this to the weapon itself, but that did not work as an only crit damage. it is applying all the time in my case.

Blahness98
April 30th, 2018, 01:21
You should be able to drag then entire spell entry over from my effects character sheets to a player character sheet. That would copy over all the effects that have been created.

As far as the weapon critical effects go, Russ is working on that so for now the player or GM will need to add the effects for weapon crits. For the feats and item bonuses, a lot of them can simply be placed in the proper boxes on the character sheet. Others depend on set conditions that are not always in play. It is easier to make them into effects that can be turned off and on when needed. The burn effect in this case would just be a simple DMGO: XdY (energy type) that can be removed when the effect is no longer in play.

Blahness98
April 30th, 2018, 06:11
The second character I had hope to help automate is a Solarian. Here is Was hoping to better track his Stellar Mode and its related bonuses by level, Stellar Revelation abilities and the Damage associated (such as for Supernova) as well as saves allowed. Here again I attempted as a spell class ability, but ran into roadblocks trying to apply damage values.

It appears the progression of the attunement was already in my effects listing for Solarian. Take a look at that effects sheet and let me know if you have questions. As I state in the post with my effects, that is just one way of doing things..

Samarex
April 30th, 2018, 06:16
Effects.
Yes thats the next big thing Im gong to tackle. I got spells parsing all there stuff except effects. So now I plan to hit effects. (Blahness PM your email we need to talk) .
Weapon damage. Right now you can add multiable damages but they all roll at once. So that works for rolling damage plus trick attack damage. But I have in mind to make it to where you can also have multible attacks that roll seperate so that you can have a weopan with a damage and a damage plus a damage so you xan create multible damage sections with out having to do multiable weapons of the same type.

imjedi
April 30th, 2018, 15:15
Effects.
Yes thats the next big thing Im gong to tackle. I got spells parsing all there stuff except effects. So now I plan to hit effects. (Blahness PM your email we need to talk) .
Weapon damage. Right now you can add multiable damages but they all roll at once. So that works for rolling damage plus trick attack damage. But I have in mind to make it to where you can also have multible attacks that roll seperate so that you can have a weopan with a damage and a damage plus a damage so you xan create multible damage sections with out having to do multiable weapons of the same type.

I think this is what I was envisioning. something that allowed my Operative player for instance to have this:

Azimuth Laser Pistol
Damage
1d4f + 1d4 burning(critical) - This would roll 1d4 unless a crit was rolled and in that case would instead roll 2d4 + 1d4 burning
1d4f + 1d8(trick) + 1d4 burning(critical) - This would roll 1d4 and 1d8 unless a crit was rolled and in that case would instead roll 2d4 + 2d8? + 1d4 burning

Alternatively, if the damage block worked like (1d4f)(1d4f + 1d4burn)(1d4f + 1d8trick)(1d4f + 1d8trick + 1d4burn) and then my player could just click the most appropriate based on his prior actions and rolls.

Samarex
April 30th, 2018, 16:37
I think this is what I was envisioning. something that allowed my Operative player for instance to have this:

Azimuth Laser Pistol
Damage
1d4f + 1d4 burning(critical) - This would roll 1d4 unless a crit was rolled and in that case would instead roll 2d4 + 1d4 burning
1d4f + 1d8(trick) + 1d4 burning(critical) - This would roll 1d4 and 1d8 unless a crit was rolled and in that case would instead roll 2d4 + 2d8? + 1d4 burning

Alternatively, if the damage block worked like (1d4f)(1d4f + 1d4burn)(1d4f + 1d8trick)(1d4f + 1d8trick + 1d4burn) and then my player could just click the most appropriate based on his prior actions and rolls.

Well fist off the Crit damage is automatic so if it is a Crit the 2d4 rolls automatic. So it would not have to be in the Line.
Second the attack string in the box for a weapon does not work like a NPC you cant just select a portion of it to roll. This is why they say make copies.
My Vision is to be able to make a Weapon that has the ability to have

Azimuth Laser Pistol
Damage 1
Dice Crit Effect
1d4f x2 1d4 burn

Damage 2
Dice Crit Effect
1d4 f x2 1d4 burn
1d8 trick x2 flatfooted

With this he has two damage boxes he just selects which one.
In either case is a Crit was rolled it would automatically do the x2 roll and also apply the effect to the creature.
The on thing for effects in weapon damage is that it does not have a place to put the effect in. This is something i will also add.

Blahness98
May 1st, 2018, 01:14

PM sent.