PDA

View Full Version : Modifier per Dice?

Oberoten
April 29th, 2018, 09:02
I am looking to expand the functionality of one of my rulesets with automatic fire rules. To be able to do this, I have set up a new Dice-roller which seems to work so far. But there are two things which I need for it to work, and the first is that I need to be able to put modifiers on each of the rolled dice (Multiple dice, decided by Rate of Fire) and then individualy check for sucesses.

Now I have an inkling this can be set up in the manager_gamesystem.lua to some extent but so far it eludes me. If there any form of trigger useable to get this behaviour? If not, where can I add one?

- Obe

shadzar
April 29th, 2018, 11:28
DORCore has exploding dice in it.

SW:EOTE has some strange dice functions in it.

might want to try looking in those?

does the RoF change once the dice are rolled?

3d6 for example, would the modifier be the same for all dice or does it change and each dice is rolled one at a time for say a burst fire?

you should be able to check RoF, assign a modifier, and apply it as a total from all dice....

RoF says modifier is +3 per dice.

3d6 rolls 3d6, then adds 9 (3*3) as the modifier.

if the modifier is depreciating, for 3d6..

RoF still 3, but decreases with each one, then 3+2+1 = +6 total modifier to add.

so you can just math it, then apply as a modifier to the total roll unless each die actually needs to be known which had what modifier. but the dice should come in the order they were rolled, so if you know the modifier method, you would know which die had what modifier...

3d6: 4,3,5 +6
would be
3d6: 4+3,3+2,5+1

so do you need the total of a mixed modified roll, or individual rolls from a multi-die roll with independent rolls with different modifiers?

Oberoten
April 29th, 2018, 11:45
DORCore has exploding dice in it.

SW:EOTE has some strange dice functions in it.

might want to try looking in those?

does the RoF change once the dice are rolled?

3d6 for example, would the modifier be the same for all dice or does it change and each dice is rolled one at a time for say a burst fire?

you should be able to check RoF, assign a modifier, and apply it as a total from all dice....

RoF says modifier is +3 per dice.

3d6 rolls 3d6, then adds 9 (3*3) as the modifier.

if the modifier is depreciating, for 3d6..

RoF still 3, but decreases with each one, then 3+2+1 = +6 total modifier to add.

so you can just math it, then apply as a modifier to the total roll unless each die actually needs to be known which had what modifier. but the dice should come in the order they were rolled, so if you know the modifier method, you would know which die had what modifier...

3d6: 4,3,5 +6
would be
3d6: 4+3,3+2,5+1

so do you need the total of a mixed modified roll, or individual rolls from a multi-die roll with independent rolls with different modifiers?

Idealy It'd drop the modifier into the die-result. So the 2d6+3(each) becomes 3+3 = 6, 6+3=9, etc.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2018, 16:27
If you’ve setup a new dice roll (action) then do the coding in there. You’ll need to look at the result of each individual dice roll.

Look at the MoreCore ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

There is a successes roll that looks at each individual dice result. You can use this to get an idea of how to check each dice, then add the modifier to the result of each dice when checking for a success.

Oberoten
April 29th, 2018, 16:29
Thank you. That does look very promising. :)

- Obe

Trenloe
April 29th, 2018, 16:32
More info on actions here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35531-Fantasy-Grounds-v3-X-CoreRPG-based-Actions-(dice-rolling)

Step 5 in post #2 is when the results of each die is available. You can do the coding to check for results then.

Depending how you want to handle the modifier, you would code for that in step 3, but store it in rRoll to use in step 5.

Oberoten
April 30th, 2018, 19:51

That solved it quite nicely. Thank you ever so much. My players will be happy with this.

- Obe

Trenloe
April 30th, 2018, 19:53
That solved it quite nicely. Thank you ever so much. My players will be happy with this.
Great to hear! :)