PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Path Player Races and Items

Blacklamb
April 27th, 2018, 17:31
At the end of each adventure path book is an Alien Archive that sometimes they have player playable races in them. Also in the appendix they also have items that may be suitable for player purchase. I was wondering if there is a plan to make a player version of each book that I can share with my players, or maybe a combined player book that is sold at the end of the adventure, possibly discounted to free if you own all the books in the path.

Blahness98
April 27th, 2018, 17:54
You can always create them yourself if needed. As long as there is no fluff in the modules, I think you could release them for free. I have to re-read what can and cannot be released with the Starfinder-ogl.

Blacklamb
April 27th, 2018, 18:06
You can always create them yourself if needed. As long as there is no fluff in the modules, I think you could release them for free. I have to re-read what can and cannot be released with the Starfinder-ogl.

From my understanding you can not reference / use content from the adventure path books. The page for the Starfinder OGL says you may only reference.
StarfinderŽ First Contact™ (PZO9500-11)
StarfinderŽ Core Rulebook™ (PZO7101)
StarfinderŽ Alien Archive™ (PZO7105)
StarfinderŽ Armory™ (PZO7108)

Trenloe
April 27th, 2018, 18:29
From my understanding you can not reference / use content from the adventure path books. The page for the Starfinder OGL says you may only reference.
StarfinderŽ First Contact™ (PZO9500-11)
StarfinderŽ Core Rulebook™ (PZO7101)
StarfinderŽ Alien Archive™ (PZO7105)
StarfinderŽ Armory™ (PZO7108)
Look at the OGL in the individual product. For Incident At Absalom Station it is included in the OGL, but you are basically limited to game mechanics.

This is the Product Identity statement: Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity, as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 1(e), and are not Open Game Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper nouns (characters, deities, locations, etc., as well as all adjectives, names, titles, and descriptive terms derived from proper nouns), artworks, characters, dialogue, locations, plots, storylines, trade dress, the historical period called the Gap, the terms kishalee, sivv, and skyfire, and the Drift (the official Open Game Content term for which is “hyperspace”). (Elements that have previously been designated as Open Game Content, or are exclusively derived from previous Open Game Content, or that are in the public domain are not included in this declaration.)

So, for example, in part 2 of the Dead Suns AP - to be fully OGL compliant, you really couldn't reproduce the "Woioko" as a playable race and publicly distribute the FG module using that race name. You might have to call them something like "Ocean Dwellers".

There's a community use policy for Pathfinder (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fw), that allows more liberal use of Paizo Pathfinder product identity names, but I don't believe this has been extended to Starfinder at this point.

Blacklamb
April 28th, 2018, 04:34
That licensing issue was exactly why I was asking if Fantasy Grounds are going to add them, I know I can add them myself but if it’s something that is going to be done I’ll seve myself the time.

Illrigger
April 30th, 2018, 17:10
Had the same question myself. I was wondering if maybe Paizo was blocking them, or if they just didn't get added by the mod author.

I can add them for my group, but technically it's not legal to do so under the license, so not a great precedent to be encouraging, especially openly on the forums ;)

Trenloe
April 30th, 2018, 21:44
I can add them for my group, but technically it's not legal to do so under the license, so not a great precedent to be encouraging, especially openly on the forums ;)
You can create them for your group - as this is your own private use. Sharing from the GM campaign only allows access to the information when they are connected to the GM, the data shared is encrypted locally on the player side.

Copyright comes into play when you publicly share things. Like posting FG modules containing non-OGL material on the Internet.

Trenloe
April 30th, 2018, 21:52
There's a few things being mentioned in this thread.

1) Player modules for the player specific stuff.
I think this is a good idea - at least for each individual AP that needs it. Creating a module specifically for the whole campaign to share with the players might have issues - licensing, cost for those who own some but not all of the parts, player spoilers if something is available too early, etc., etc..

2) Modules covering data that is in the AP, for those who don't want to buy every part of the AP in FG form
I doubt this will be done - it hasn't been done for any other products that I'm aware of. And, it's really taking data from a product that is already there - if you want the info in FG, then get the other product. Sorry to be blunt, but I would imagine that is the way it will be viewed by the relevant people in Paizo.

If you really want the data in FG, and you already have the product in another form and don't want to purchase the FG version, then enter the relevant data into FG for your own private use.

Also, remember that if you own the PDF already, the cost of this PDF is subtracted from the FG module purchase - so, for those with the PDF, the cost is significantly reduced. But, only you can make the call if the cost vs. your time entering the data is good value for you or not.

Blacklamb
April 30th, 2018, 23:17
Number 1 is really what I'm looking for, much like Alien Archive has a players book. Having one for each of the AP books bundled in is fine. I know I can just type it all in the data is in the book, PDF, and FG module already, under the other tab of the NPC's who are playable races see the Ferran in Dead Suns book 2. Only reason I brought up one book sold with them combined is it prevents me from having to open up all the players books at least at character creation and item buying times.

Samarex
May 2nd, 2018, 13:45
There's a few things being mentioned in this thread.

1) Player modules for the player specific stuff.
I think this is a good idea - at least for each individual AP that needs it. Creating a module specifically for the whole campaign to share with the players might have issues - licensing, cost for those who own some but not all of the parts, player spoilers if something is available too early, etc., etc..

Me Personally as one of the developers, as you seen in Alien Archive and Pact Worlds I try when possible to create the players version of a module if there are any Items/Races/Classes anything that players would need to use, so that there is a way for them to access them providing the GM allows and shares the module with them.

I did not do the AP's so can't speak for him.