PDA

View Full Version : Video - Giving player control of an NPC

Zacchaeus
April 25th, 2018, 21:49
Since this subject comes up quite often here and on Discord here's a short video showing you how to give control of an NPC to a player and what pitfalls you should look out for.

Link here (https://youtu.be/eS5p68O5EuQ).

Stormhound
April 26th, 2018, 02:30
Another of your great short-and-to-the-point videos, and just in time for me to be able to use the info. Thanks!

1derwood
April 14th, 2020, 04:21
Thanks for trying, Zacchaeus! While that video would be useful if she were summoning a creature, it doesn't let you alter the NPC to give it the numerous buffs and abilities that it should have. Since this is issue has never been fixed, I'll try to figure out how to add everything into a PC. Since this is a common component to this class and many others I just thought I was missing something. I have been searching for an answer for to no avail, so I was just hoping I missed something.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2020, 10:12
I think I replied to you elsewhere on the NPC thing.

I believe that it was a Blink dog. So if making a PC character out of that NPC then start a new character sheet and just add in everything manually from the NPC sheet. There won't be anything to drag and drop so just type Blink Dog in the class, add the ability scores, skill proficiencies, and add in traits (Keen Hearing, and Teleport) and add in the Bite as a weapon attack. Click on the class and level magnifying glass and fill in the hit dice, adjust the hit points and add in speed and armour class into the Combat stats section in the middle of the first page. And that's about it.

1derwood
April 14th, 2020, 19:44
Ok. Thanks Zacchaeus.

AshNeedsALife
July 18th, 2020, 20:46
Thank you for easy to follow instructions and guides!

I'm coming back to D&D after a nearly 30 journey pool laying other RPGs, and OMG, things have changed! (Llife was very different before the 3E release. Imagine that �� )

Along with still learning the changes, I'm also new to the virtual world of TTG, and really appreciate the helpful advice offered.

Ashleigh
Being 66 is a bitch, but I'm told that so am I.

SmackDaddy
August 30th, 2020, 19:56
Thank you very much for this video! Very helpful indeed!

Bilbobolen
January 10th, 2021, 01:09
I do not see the shield which I use to share the familiar. Instead it is a box which gives the stat of of the creature. what option do I need on/off to get the dragon head/shield.

damned
January 10th, 2021, 01:37
Different themes will use a different icon. Use whatever icon is in the same position as the dragon head in Zaccs video.

ZelieDad
March 22nd, 2021, 14:18
I'm following along, but PC cannot move any of the NPCs that I've given to them. They can open the character sheet, do all of the checks, saves, attacks, etc., but cannot move them. I have tried toggling token lock mode on and off, and still no joy. Thoughts?

LordEntrails
March 22nd, 2021, 15:44
I'm following along, but PC cannot move any of the NPCs that I've given to them. They can open the character sheet, do all of the checks, saves, attacks, etc., but cannot move them. I have tried toggling token lock mode on and off, and still no joy. Thoughts?
Option "Party Vision & Movement", set it to "On".

Zacchaeus
March 22nd, 2021, 15:53
If you are using Unity then you'll ned to turn on Party Vision and Movement (in options). Otherwise players can only interact with tokens they own. (Shared NPCs are never owned by the player - the DM still owns it - it's only shared with the player).

ZelieDad
March 22nd, 2021, 16:12
I looked at options, but that one isn't listed on the help guide "?" link, but either way that worked. Thanks!

Darklochnagar
August 19th, 2021, 02:52
Since this subject comes up quite often here and on Discord here's a short video showing you how to give control of an NPC to a player and what pitfalls you should look out for.

Link here (https://youtu.be/eS5p68O5EuQ).

Thanks a million - that's brilliant. I'm DM-ing our group and finding FG both amazing, but also highly technical. Simple guides like yours are very much welcomed.

rpbryan
February 10th, 2022, 15:03
Does anyone know
(1) how to stop sharing the NPC with the player (other than the player ending their session or deleting the NPC)? Other record that are shared with a PC or the party show a "s" or "p" or have an right-click option to stop sharing but I can not find anything like that for a NPC shared from the CT to a PC portrait...

Also (2) any place for the DM to see how a NPC has been shared with? (I do not even see a note in the chat)?

thanks much

LordEntrails
February 10th, 2022, 15:51
Does anyone know
(1) how to stop sharing the NPC with the player (other than the player ending their session or deleting the NPC)? Other record that are shared with a PC or the party show a "s" or "p" or have an right-click option to stop sharing but I can not find anything like that for a NPC shared from the CT to a PC portrait...

Also (2) any place for the DM to see how a NPC has been shared with? (I do not even see a note in the chat)?

thanks much
Not that I can find. NPCs on the CT are unique instances from those that are in the NPC records list (i.e. they are copies) So it makes sense that they will not show on the NPC list as being shared. If you share directly from the NPC list, then the S/P shows up as well as the ability to unshare, But that has other issues as far as controlling the CT NPC (because the CT version is a copy).

Deleting the NPC from the CT effectively unshares it though as that record gets deleted.

Korvaak
October 15th, 2022, 00:48
Excellent video!

Thank's very much.