PDA

View Full Version : Module Export questions

loserbrewer
April 24th, 2018, 02:56
I have a few questions about module exporting. I hope they are not too dumb, but put a lot of work into an adventure, and don't want to mess it up.

When exporting there are two options: Read Only? and Player Module?

I am guessing that Read Only? creates a .mod file that cannot be edited.

A Player Module can be edited? is this correct?

Once I export a module, can I reopen the campaign and modify, and write over the previously saved .Mod file?

Any help is appreciated.

John

Mortar
April 24th, 2018, 03:01
Both will create a .mod file. Read only will create a db.xml file that the players would not normally have access to. Player Module will create a player accessible module, unless you disable its loading for players by dragging the red x onto it in the module load window.

Within the campaign, to make edits to locked data you will need to make a copy of the data with the campaign. Drag the entry's button back into the list its on. You can edit your local content to your heart's content and not ever affect your data

damned
April 24th, 2018, 03:02
Its an adventure module?
Read Only.
You cant update the module permanently from a new campaign using that module.
If you want to change it come back to the pre campaign, update the info and re-export.

loserbrewer
April 24th, 2018, 03:09
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. It is a 5e adventure module that I am working on.

Moon Wizard
April 24th, 2018, 03:14
I’m just going to clarify, since there seems to be some confusion.

Here are the suggested settings for different module use cases:

* Reference modules (ie rulebooks) for Players and GMs = Read only set to On and Player set to On

* Reference modules for GM only = Read only set to On and Player set to Off

* Adventure modules = Read Only set to Off and Player set to Off

Here’s what the settings do:

* Read Only = Determines whether the GM can edit the module data (changes are not actually applied to the module data, but overridden just for that campaign.)

* Player = Determines whether the players can access the module automatically or not. This just affects the default behavior of the module in a new campaign, and can be overridden by the GM on a per campaign basis.

Regards,
JPG

loserbrewer
April 24th, 2018, 04:43
Thanks for all the help. I exported my adventure, using the following settings: Adventure modules = Read Only set to Off and Player set to Off. Loaded on to another account and all worked as it should. Went back to the original campaign and made changes, exported again, reloaded the module on another account, and all my changes were present!

Thanks again,

John