PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Modules/ Maps

Silverkin
April 22nd, 2018, 05:13
I've been playing pathfinder for a little over a year and got a decent handle of the rules. I'm fairly new to fantasy grounds but am learning how to use it. I wanted to put together some short sessions for a few close friends. Basically just a small dungeon crawl. The group prefers combat over role playing. This would be my first attempt at being a DM.

I have the FG Standard License. I've been searching for the last couple days for free fantasy grounds pathfinder modules. Basically I'm just looking to run a short dungeon crawl. A bunch of rooms connected to each other that the heroes could traverse. I've learned, through the help of the discord channel Fantasy Grounds College, how to propagate the dungeon with enemies and how combat works on the DM's side of things.

Is there anyone that has some maps I could use for a dungeon crawl? I was instructed that I could make the maps myself using dungeon painter online, but there must be an easier way at my first attempt as DM. Something as simple as this must be available somewhere. I've had no luck thus far, any help greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 05:15
Welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of community member's maps here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?90-Maps Look through all the various threads to see if there are some maps that match what you're looking for.

LordEntrails
April 22nd, 2018, 05:42
Did you try this (https://www.google.com/search?q=dungeon+maps&num=30&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS784US785&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja_qLUiM3aAhWQt1kKHX1WCsAQsAQIKA&biw=1400&bih=732)?

Silverkin
April 22nd, 2018, 07:37
Wow, great advice both of you.

I had a question beyond just maps. Do you know where I might be able to find free, short modules in a combat heavy situation?

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 13:09
I had a question beyond just maps. Do you know where I might be able to find free, short modules in a combat heavy situation?

Look at https://adventureaweek.com/ They have lots of adventures and many have been converted into FG modules for Pathfinder, 5E and recently Savage Worlds.

You get 2 free downloads a month (these can be PDFs or FG modules). You can get 1 month free with this code: AAW1FREE This will give you access to the web reader version of all the base adventures so you can look them over and decide which two you want to download in FG format. You may want to look at the "C" series - these are more classic style scenarios. "C01: Alagoran’s Gem" is a classic style dungeon crawl.

Silverkin
April 22nd, 2018, 22:24
Thank you - so I found a lot of small, good dungeon maps. I uploaded them onto fantasy grounds. I have an issue though, how do I use fog of war w/ these maps? I went layers --> enable mask and held shift then I drew a very wobbly line and it seemed to light up that 1 area. Is there a way i can make a completely straight line?

Is there a way to make it only light up/ show lighting effects for the areas the PC's are in and keep rest of the map black? How can I make it go fog of war after they leave that area?

Many thanks

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 22:35
Fog of war is purely manual. It doesn't move with tokens. The GM reveals/hides as necessary.

Unmasking without pressing any keys is a rectangle - so you have straight lines there. If you have straight lines to reveal, just draw as many rectangles as you need to unmask the whole area.

Silverkin
April 22nd, 2018, 22:40
Wow that was a fast response, thanks!

So I used a rectangle to unveil that area. Once they move onto next area I suppose I have a decision to just leave it lighted up or delete those masks? What's the general consensus on how to use this?

Looks like it's much easier just to leave areas that have been opened and only get rid of the light in that area if monsters go there - although that might cause me to give away things if they catch on to what I'm doing.

Edit: Found out I just press control to make areas black again - awesome!

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 22:42
So I used a rectangle to unveil that area. Once they move onto next area I suppose I have a decision to just leave it lighted up or delete those masks? What's the general consensus on how to use this?
I generally leave places the party has been revealed.

Looks like it's much easier just to leave areas that have been opened and only get rid of the light in that area if monsters go there - although that might cause me to give away things if they catch on to what I'm doing.
Use token visibility to hide NPC tokens the PCs can't see. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Visibility The players won't know a thing! ;)

Silverkin
April 23rd, 2018, 04:35
When I click on any of the tokens it seems to only give me the option of always invisible, always visible or mask sensitive visibility.

So for areas that the heroes have already uncovered i keep as visible. However if another NPC manages to find himself in an area previously discovered it shouldn't show up on the PC's map. However the only way I see to do that is to set that token as 'always invisible'. Is that the correct way of doing things? Am I missing anything?

Moon Wizard
April 23rd, 2018, 05:42
The visibility toggle in the combat tracker will toggle neutral and enemy tokens between invisible and mask-sensitive visible modes. Friendly tokens are set to always visible.

This means that neutral/enemy tokens are only visible on the map if they are both marked as visible in the combat tracker and within an unmasked area of the map.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2018, 14:42
So for areas that the heroes have already uncovered i keep as visible. However if another NPC manages to find himself in an area previously discovered it shouldn't show up on the PC's map. However the only way I see to do that is to set that token as 'always invisible'. Is that the correct way of doing things?
If you are using the mask, and leaving previously explored areas visible, all of the token visibility is pretty much a manual process for the GM. You, as the GM, need to decide when a NPC token is visible or not. If you don't want the token to be visible in previously explored areas, then you need to set it to always invisible. And, at some future point when the PCs can see the NPC, set it back to visible or mask sensitive visibility. This is a lot less work than re-masking as the PCs leave an area.