PDA

View Full Version : Encounter Auto-Scaling Extension

RoleforFun
April 21st, 2018, 17:03
Looking for some community feedback here because I have no knowledge of coding or how much something like this would be used by the general player base.

How difficult would it be to create an extension that will take a pre-gen encounter (like one in published adventure modules) and have an option to automatically scale it using the same monsters to the specific player group that is currently playing? I know it would need to take into account the number of players and their levels, along with the creatures in the encounter and their XP values according to the DMG. Anyone have a clue how feasible this is with FG's code?

Also, is this something you would like to see as an option? One possible implementation could have another button on the encounter screen which pushes out a "recommended" Auto-Scaled encounter the DM can use or modify as they see fit?

I thought it would be a very handy tool for the DM, would cut back on prep time and help account for last-minute changes to the party makeup for that session/encounter. I also believe this would be a great feature that would really set FG apart from other VTT's. Let me know what y'all think!

JohnD
April 21st, 2018, 17:39
Life never scales. This would be a difficult thing to do accurately as well. Equipment possessed and other things still make it subjective IMO.

Trenloe
April 21st, 2018, 17:40
This older extension might give you some ideas: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26180-Posting-chat-message-only-to-myself&p=233194&viewfull=1#post233194

Zacchaeus
April 21st, 2018, 17:52
And here's an updated version of the one Trenloe linked https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33131-5E-Encounter-Calc

RoleforFun
April 21st, 2018, 19:53
Thanks gents. This certainly is a step in the right direction, as it does the calculations for you. Simply up the numbers a bit, place the tokens, and you're good. I appreciate it!

damned
April 22nd, 2018, 02:49
Encounters make scaling very easy.
Missing a key combat character - just remove one or two NPCs before you add it to the tracker.
Players are cruising thru - after you add to the CT drag and drop a couple of the NPCs back int the CT and then to the map.

Its hard for a computer to know how hard the encounter should be.
Is it meant to be a distraction? A part of a process of attrition? The big bad battle?