PDA

View Full Version : RAW or cooked?

shadzar
April 20th, 2018, 23:47
Do you play your games of choice as only RAW? Do NOT pass GO, do NOT collect $200, or do you change even the littlest thing in the system, adventure, quest, whatever when you play?

Nylanfs
April 21st, 2018, 00:12
Primarily unless I find something I really don't like I leave most game systems the way they are.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2018, 00:47
I change lots of things. But I almost always use all of the automation that FG does without changing it. Insisting on "doing it my way" does not add value to my game.

jfos
April 21st, 2018, 03:33
Cooked, I utilize some of the out of the box content... but why stay so "vanilla" that any yahoo player can go buy/download and read, then meta game the adventure.... So yeah, cooked.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2018, 04:48
Cooked, I utilize some of the out of the box content... but why stay so "vanilla" that any yahoo player can go buy/download and read, then meta game the adventure.... So yeah, cooked.
Do you chose to play with yahoos? Am I just fortunate that I chose who I play with and I only play with people I like and think they want to have the same type of fun as me?
DM/GMs are in demand. Be particular. Find the right group. Run the right game. No point in drama unless that's your type of fun :)

jfos
April 21st, 2018, 17:20
Do you chose to play with yahoos? Am I just fortunate that I chose who I play with and I only play with people I like and think they want to have the same type of fun as me?
DM/GMs are in demand. Be particular. Find the right group. Run the right game. No point in drama unless that's your type of fun :)

My kids invite their school friends... it gets interesting on "kids night" sometimes, no one gets to pick their kids friends, but the kids love it and thats all that matters to me. Some 10 year old trying to tell me how I was supposed to tell the intro cause hes read it 500 gagillion times... yeah, F that, easiest to avoid by changing it up. My "adult group" is running T1-4 atm.

shadzar
April 21st, 2018, 18:59
10 year old trying to tell me how I was supposed to tell the intro cause hes read it 500 gagillion times

meta-gamers https://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/emoticons/v1/360/1.0

Bonkon
April 21st, 2018, 20:35
Good Day All :)
I like to keep to the rules but am not opposed to bending, breaking, removing, or changing them if it advances the fun factor of the game.
I am also one that if I am playing a new system I have never tried, I like to follow RAW until I understand them then modify if needed.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2018, 21:53
My kids invite their school friends... it gets interesting on "kids night" sometimes, no one gets to pick their kids friends, but the kids love it and thats all that matters to me. Some 10 year old trying to tell me how I was supposed to tell the intro cause hes read it 500 gagillion times... yeah, F that, easiest to avoid by changing it up. My "adult group" is running T1-4 atm.
Ok, I agree given your situation :)

Valyar
April 22nd, 2018, 10:49
“Yahoos” is term for random players? :)

LordEntrails
April 22nd, 2018, 16:25
“Yahoos” is term for random players? :)
No, 'yahoos' is a term that is fairly hard to define. But in this sense it means players who are not mature, or respectful or others, or polite, or are just selfish.

sorvan76
April 23rd, 2018, 15:44
I change lots of stuff. My players have a thirst for combat, so I always look to add more encounters for them. I'm relatively new to full-time FG gaming (not really possible to pen and paper anymore due to folks not being able to meet up anymore). I have ended up having to make quest encounters tougher as the party have been earning more XP than they're supposed to. For example, we're only mid-way through Legacy of the Crystal Shard and the party are already level 4 with quite a lot of custom content added. That's what I love about FG, though. It's a fair learning curve, but there is always the scope to add content on the fly - and there is a lot of support on this forum on how to do it. Really appreciate the contributors who have put in the effort to make this possible. :)

Ken L
April 23rd, 2018, 20:07
If I'm at a FLGS for encounters or a hosted event I run RAW. On my personal games I do have a few house rules.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
April 24th, 2018, 21:02
RAW all the way.

I do SOME modifications, but most of them are in the Dungeon Master Guide (5e) as optional, like lingering injuries, or the alternative rules for rolling initiative every round, etc.
D&D is very stupid sometimes, but it is high magic.
I learned to stop trying to fix everything and just accept that the system is not made for some things, specially any kind of realism.

in general, 5e skills can cover everything.

I am dying for DMing a Song of Ice and Fire RPG session to see what it will do about the realistic aspect, unfortunately, it has no ruleset.