PDA

View Full Version : Question: About the Language

ondercanergumus
April 20th, 2018, 06:05
I was reading the reference manual. But i couldn't understand something about elves:

"Elves hunt game, gather food, and grow vegetables, and their skill and magic allow them to support themselves without the need for clearing and plowing land."

What is "elves hunt game" ? Sorry to disturbed you about this. My main language is not english. I was trying to translate it. So can you help me guys?

Atua
April 20th, 2018, 06:26
Game in this instance are wild animals like deer.

ondercanergumus
April 20th, 2018, 06:53
Game in this instance are wild animals like deer.

Are you sure? Because i think elves are not carnivore.

damned
April 20th, 2018, 06:58
That is what the term game means in this context.

ondercanergumus
April 20th, 2018, 07:02
That is what the term game means in this context.

I think you may be right, but are you sure or you are just trying to guess? :)

Bonkon
April 20th, 2018, 08:04
I have never read or heard that elves did not eat meat. That would be a DM decision for their game. :)

Nylanfs
April 20th, 2018, 14:11
a (1) : animals under pursuit or taken in hunting; especially : wild animals hunted for sport or food
(2) : the flesh of game animals

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/game

Andraax
April 20th, 2018, 14:49
I think you may be right, but are you sure or you are just trying to guess? :)

Having spoken English for most of my life, and also having hunted for a number of years, I can assure you that the phrase "Elves hunt game" means that Elves track down and kill wild animals for food.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2018, 23:23
I think perhaps part of the confusion is that in some mythos (and maybe Lord of the Rings?) elves are vegetarian. But, yes, this phrase means that elves in 5E eat meat :) (unless the DM says otherwise of course!)

ondercanergumus
April 21st, 2018, 04:41
Having spoken English for most of my life, and also having hunted for a number of years, I can assure you that the phrase "Elves hunt game" means that Elves track down and kill wild animals for food.

Thank you friend! :)

ondercanergumus
April 21st, 2018, 04:43
I think perhaps part of the confusion is that in some mythos (and maybe Lord of the Rings?) elves are vegetarian. But, yes, this phrase means that elves in 5E eat meat :) (unless the DM says otherwise of course!)

Yeah, that's makes sense. Thank you!

GavinRuneblade
April 28th, 2018, 22:08

I don't recall anything in the lord of the rings saying the elves are vegetarian. They do revere Orome the Valar of the hunt, and they make bows which are useless for vegetarians. But I also don't recall anything specifically about them eating meat.

Stormhound
April 28th, 2018, 23:53
I don't recall anything in the lord of the rings saying the elves are vegetarian. They do revere Orome the Valar of the hunt, and they make bows which are useless for vegetarians. But I also don't recall anything specifically about them eating meat.

Even vegetarians have to defend themselves against orcs, but I don't recall them being such and have certainly never run them that way.

Andraax
April 29th, 2018, 03:18
From the Hobbit - Flies and Spiders (when they encountered the elves on the road):

There was a fire in their midst and there were torches fastened to some of the trees round about; but the most splendid sight of all: they were eating and drinking and laughing merrily. The smell of the roast meats was so enchanting that, without waiting to consult one another, every one of them got up and scrambled forwards into the ring with the one idea of begging some food.

From The Lays of Beleriand, we know that Thingol served mead, wine, and various types of meat at his table:

On a time was Turin at the table of Thingol there was laughter long and the loud clamour of a countless company that quaffed the mead, amid the wine of Dor-Winion that went ungrudged in their golden goblets; and goodly meats there burdened the boards, neath the blazing torches.

dulux-oz
April 29th, 2018, 03:25
The only Elven mythos that I am aware of that are vegetarian (& I could be wrong about it because it was decades ago when I read these) was the Elfquest mythos.

GavinRuneblade
April 30th, 2018, 01:25
The only Elven mythos that I am aware of that are vegetarian (& I could be wrong about it because it was decades ago when I read these) was the Elfquest mythos.

https://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ07&p=3

"We should have killed one of the zwoots and saved the meat instead of letting them go in the desert."
Elfquest's primary elves, the wolfriders, live like wolves. The sunfolk are balanced like us real-world humans and they are the only ones who practice even a little agriculture. Go Backs and the elves of Blue Mountain eat a lot of meat but not as much as wolfriders.

LordEntrails
April 30th, 2018, 03:23
Dulux was wrong! Dulux was wrong! Nanny nanny boo boo!!

dulux-oz
April 30th, 2018, 03:38
https://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ07&p=3

"We should have killed one of the zwoots and saved the meat instead of letting them go in the desert."
Elfquest's primary elves, the wolfriders, live like wolves. The sunfolk are balanced like us real-world humans and they are the only ones who practice even a little agriculture. Go Backs and the elves of Blue Mountain eat a lot of meat but not as much as wolfriders.

There you go, I was wrong - in my defence I did say it was decades ago when I read Elfquest :)

Thanks for correcting my memory.

Trenloe
April 30th, 2018, 03:40
Thanks for correcting my memory.
I wish someone would find mine. No idea where it’s gone.

dulux-oz
April 30th, 2018, 03:42
Dulux was wrong! Dulux was wrong! Nanny nanny boo boo!!

Yeeessss, I was wrong, and there's no shame in that.

Of course, what is the score now: 99% right? 99.9%? 99.9999%? I don't know, but I assume its something like that.

(And at this point, a "lesser" man would be threatening a certain Vrusk - but not me. I'll just bask in my natural "rightness" :p )

viresanimi
April 30th, 2018, 12:48
Being wrong about "something" isn't shameful. Being wrong about ElfQuest IS!

hee hee

Vires Animi

dulux-oz
April 30th, 2018, 13:27
Being wrong about "something" isn't shameful. Being wrong about ElfQuest IS!

Several

DECADES

Ago!

LordEntrails
April 30th, 2018, 17:19
It's ok Dulux, we know you are senile...

dulux-oz
April 30th, 2018, 19:25
It's ok Dulux, we know you are senile...

Yeap, that's right, I'm senile...

...so when XP is "forgotten" to be awarded, you'll know why, won't you?

LordEntrails
April 30th, 2018, 20:22
Yeap, that's right, I'm senile...

...so when XP is "forgotten" to be awarded, you'll know why, won't you?
Ahh, I'd worry you would plan that out, but given our next session is 2 weeks out, you won't remember that long *G*

dulux-oz
May 1st, 2018, 03:40
Ahh, I'd worry you would plan that out, but given our next session is 2 weeks out, you won't remember that long *G*

That's what Post-It Notes are for.

LordEntrails
May 1st, 2018, 05:19
That's what Post-It Notes are for.
Uh oh... Maybe I can bribe your daughter to strategically remove the right ones...