PDA

View Full Version : sound extension

Sgain
April 20th, 2018, 03:36
Hi folks;

I'm wondering - how many GM's use the DOE Sound Extension in their games?

I'm asking because I've been converting 5e adventures to FG and SW and I wondered if people who were going to buy the modules might want to have pre-made sounds included with the module.

Thanks

Talen
April 20th, 2018, 03:38
I use it along with Dulox Oz's sound module. The idea of the sound links built in to future adventures would be welcome as well.

Sgain
April 20th, 2018, 04:06
Isn't th DOE: Sound extension Dulox Oz's sound module?

might be a problem though since sounds are not supported by Smiteworks...dang I never thought of that. (I added the 'not') Sorry for the confusion.

Trenloe
April 20th, 2018, 15:44
You'd need permission from Dulux to use data that relies on his extensions in a public module.

Also, a word of warning, including data that needs a third party, community extension, might cause issues in future. What happens if the extensions the data relies on is no longer available/compatible?

Many community developers have come and gone over the years. Even ones that seem like they are here to stay sometimes leave - real-life can change people's situations.

Including data that requires additional code that is not official code supported by SmiteWorks, or is not code that you own and can control, is (IMHO) a big risk for a paid for product. The possible implications should be thought about closely. If someone has paid for a product, they will expect the product to continue to work through future versions of FG. If you decide to do something like this, I'd recommend you clearly detail the needs for any other FG code, and that you are not responsible for the maintenance of that code - so the data may not be fully operational if that code becomes obsolete.

dulux-oz
April 20th, 2018, 15:57
Isn't th DOE: Sound extension Dulox Oz's sound module?

No, the DOE: Sound is a (free) Extension (written by me) that allows FG to play sounds via a 3rd Party Sound Application, the DOM: Soundlink Library is a (paid) Module (also written by me) containing a collection of Soundlinks for use with the DOE: Sound Extension and the Syrinscape Sound Application.

might be a problem though since sounds are supported by Smiteworks...dang I never thought of that.

Sounds are NOT supported by Smiteworks / Fantasy Grounds - it is the DOE: Sound provides sound support (via a 3rd Party Sound Application).

What Trenloe says is good advice.

As per the License for the DOE: Sound Extension any product, etc, of the Extension is available for use for personal, non-commercial purposes only. I have negotiated a commercial use license with one other developer, so I'm not totally against this concept, but that's something I look at on a case-by-case basis.

Sgain
April 20th, 2018, 19:00
thanks folks, I was just trying to come up with some ideas about stuff. Good points. And yep, screwed up my 'not' supported post. Thanks for the help.