PDA

View Full Version : Starfinder Starships Update

Samarex
April 20th, 2018, 03:03
Good Morning all.
Wanted to bring you all up to date on the status of Starships in the SFRPG Rule Set.

With the upcoming weekly update 1.0.9 (Pending a good test). you should see the following update to Starships.

Updates the bulk of the character starship records and fields. Users can now build custom player starships by dropping starship components (frames, power cores, thrusters, systems, expansion bays, shields and weapons) from the Core Rulebook module. A future update will allow users to create starships using the example starship records from the Core Rulebook and other modules as well. Player characters can be added (by the host) as crew members and assigned a crew role, each with their own discreet set of actions (actions are displayed but not enabled in this update).

The sheet when shared with all connected players will automatically assign ownership of the sheet and fields as follows:

gm - host - entire sheet/all fields
captain - player who created the sheet - entire sheet/all fields/all crew actions
pilot - player assigned to the Pilot role - pilot actions
engineer - players assigned to the Engineer role - engineer actions/main sheet Shields/System Critical Damage*
science officer - players assigned to the Science Officer role - science officer actions/main sheet Arc Shields SP*
gunner - players assigned to the Gunner role - gunner actions

* will be enabled this coming weekend.

When creating a new starship, a Step-by-Step Guide will be displayed for reference. I have summarized it below for quick reference. Give it a whirl and shout if you hit any issues, if you follow the guide, it should work. Lost count of the number of ships that have created using all base frame types but not every permutation has been tested so there maybe the odd hiccup.

Starship Build Notes (for Captains only).

Hint: This window will remain open until the ship has been assigned at least a name, tier and frame. When adding items, see chatwindow for build status.

To build a ship:

Step 1: Name the Starship
Step 2: Assign a Tier Level; this will assign max Build Points.
Step 3: Assign a Frame (see Starships list); this will assign size and maneuverability
Step 4: Assign a Power Core (see Starship Items list); this will assign max PCU.
Step 5: Assign Thrusters (see Starship Items list); this will assign the ships speed.
Step 6: Assign other Systems (see Starship Items); these will be listed in the Systems and Expansion Bay lists.
Step 7: Assign Shields (see Starship Shields); this will assign SP and will auto-balance their distributio to each Arc.
Step 8: Assign Weapons to ship mountpoints (see Starship Weapons).
Step 9: User who builds the starship should add their own PC in the 'Captain' role.
Step 10: With Users logged in and assigned to a PC, ask the GM to add PCs to Crew and selects the role. Each player's crew role action panel can be accessed by the respective player only (as well as GM).
Step 11: Share the sheet to all players

Talen
April 20th, 2018, 03:36
Looks great Russell. With this update, does this mean everything related to starship combat that will be provided is be ready except rollable actions and the ability to use Core rule book starship records?

Samarex
April 20th, 2018, 03:58
Looks great Russell. With this update, does this mean everything related to starship combat that will be provided is be ready except rollable actions and the ability to use Core rule book starship records?

It will but not in this push. But everything gets listed.

We are taking it Step by Step.

Blahness98
April 20th, 2018, 05:25
Looks really good Russell. Pass my compliments to the other developer you are working with on this. Can't wait to see how the changes will play out.

Talen
April 20th, 2018, 11:20
It will but not in this push. But everything gets listed.

We are taking it Step by Step.

I think I follow, but let me ask it another way. With the next update, what is still planned but won't yet be available? I'm interested in what the full functionality will be....but specifically concerned with when we will be able to track hull, shield and systems damage. Regardless, I'm very excited to give this a spin. Thank you!

timdog88
April 20th, 2018, 17:20
It is getting harder and harder to resist buying into this rule set. This update looks really cool.

Samarex
April 20th, 2018, 23:27
Looks really good Russell. Pass my compliments to the other developer you are working with on this. Can't wait to see how the changes will play out.

Thanks I will be sure to paas it on

Samarex
April 20th, 2018, 23:48
I think I follow, but let me ask it another way. With the next update, what is still planned but won't yet be available? I'm interested in what the full functionality will be....but specifically concerned with when we will be able to track hull, shield and systems damage. Regardless, I'm very excited to give this a spin. Thank you!

Plans are a full Combat tracker supported Starship system. But he needed to get the starship char sheet done first so he had all the tags required to interact with the CT

xanstin
April 21st, 2018, 00:56
Incredible work. This ruleset is coming along nicely.

Gwaihir Scout
April 21st, 2018, 03:53
Looking good!

ddavison
April 25th, 2018, 21:07
David Middleton will be doing a walkthrough and feature review for the Starship sheet tonight at 7 PM EST on our twitch channel. Join us LIVE and ask questions during the stream.

https://twitch.tv/fantasygrounds

Talen
April 26th, 2018, 01:10
Just watched the stream - cant wait to try starship combat with the new tools - they look great and its clear alot of thought went into the design.

xanstin
April 26th, 2018, 03:17
Not sure if its enabled yet, but the gunnery crew action bonus isn't calculating properly just shows 0 for all crew regardless of DEX+Piloting or BAB

timdog88
April 26th, 2018, 13:08
Any way I can catch this on YouTube?

Talen
April 26th, 2018, 14:23
You can still view it on the fantasy grounds channel on twitch. I'm not sure if there are plans to put on YouTube.

timdog88
April 26th, 2018, 14:24
Nevermind, I found it on twitch. This looks pretty sweet. Good job everyone!

iquitous
May 3rd, 2018, 18:55
How is the "portrait" under the ship changed? I find when I change it, it also changes the character that was on the ships portrait as well.

Blacklamb
May 3rd, 2018, 22:00
How is the "portrait" under the ship changed? I find when I change it, it also changes the character that was on the ships portrait as well.

I put that in the bug thread, the first ship sheet shares it's portrait with the first character in the list, the second to the second and so on.

opfor6
May 4th, 2018, 23:03
how do you add a second or third power core onto the sheet?

Octavious
May 5th, 2018, 07:15
how do you add a second or third power core onto the sheet?

Hi opfor6, make a copy of your main power core then type in the heading of the 3 power cores you are to use ex (Gateway Heavy, Gateway Light, Gateway Heavy) then change the bp cost and total pcu fields to reflect the total of all three. then drag and drop to your sheet , don't forget to add the 2 pcu expansion bays .

Samarex
May 5th, 2018, 08:25
Hi opfor6, make a copy of your main power core then type in the heading of the 3 power cores you are to use ex (Gateway Heavy, Gateway Light, Gateway Heavy) then change the bp cost and total pcu fields to reflect the total of all three. then drag and drop to your sheet , don't forget to add the 2 pcu expansion bays .

Thats a work around, but I put the request to allow for multiable power cores

opfor6
May 5th, 2018, 17:24
My thanks to you both for the assistance!

llothos
May 24th, 2018, 06:13
just opened it up tonight to play around with starship part and I'm still a little new to FG in general but I can't figure out how to remove some of the components of the starship, normally you just click on the edit and there is a minus sign beside items to delete. This seems to be absent for Drift drive, shields and sensors. I tried dragging the item out to the desktop, using shift and doing the same and still not working. Is this a bug or what am I doing wrong and what is the proper way of doing it?

Looking good so far and really liking this ruleset (first one I didn't wait for a sale for :) as I felt it was worth the cost). One thing that would be a nice addition to the starship items section is to include more tabs along the top to bring up tables for items in the book (currently only shows shields and weapons), I think it could make building starship a little easier without having to either click the link or open the reference manual and navigate to that section manually. Ignore this last part if it's already a planned feature.

Blahness98
May 24th, 2018, 13:50
For shields, drift engine and sensors, I just clear out the text of the old item I put in and drag in the new item. It will update the sheet and the link to the new item. You will have to go into the build point and power usage sub screens to remove the old modules from those screens.

Personally, I have built the starships outside of FG using the JSON builder (https://jamesturneronline.net/starfinder-ship-builder/) and then building inside FG once I got the ship the way I want it. That way I know the ship is built correctly and allows me to catch errors in the FG build.

As a side note, I have dropped the drift drive power usage to 0 to get the correct power useage to match what I get from JSON builder. This is because the drift drive is only active when everything else is off.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2018, 15:08
just opened it up tonight to play around with starship part and I'm still a little new to FG in general but I can't figure out how to remove some of the components of the starship, normally you just click on the edit and there is a minus sign beside items to delete. This seems to be absent for Drift drive, shields and sensors. I tried dragging the item out to the desktop, using shift and doing the same and still not working. Is this a bug or what am I doing wrong and what is the proper way of doing it?
I don't think this has been implemented yet. Resetting the ship build doesn't remove these either. Dragging a new entry to the ship will overwrite the old one.

Samarex
May 25th, 2018, 02:05
I don't think this has been implemented yet. Resetting the ship build doesn't remove these either. Dragging a new entry to the ship will overwrite the old one.

I do believe that Zeph is working on the correction of removing items from the Starship sheet.

Aquitaine
May 26th, 2018, 22:28
I think I was able to remove a part by opening up the full "parts on this ship" list and then editing the list and deleting the item.

Octavious
June 20th, 2018, 22:55
Any news on when the starship portion will be completed.. Combat tracker.. etc.?

merkvah
July 11th, 2018, 01:11
EDIT: Sorry, my bad. PEBCAK. Apologies.

ddavison
July 11th, 2018, 02:58
We apologize for the delays. There were some health issues that created an unforeseen delay.

Samarex
July 11th, 2018, 03:02
We apologize for the delays. There were some health issues that created an unforeseen delay.

Thanks for the update Doug, we will work thru this and get the update as quickliy as we can.

Blacklamb
August 20th, 2018, 23:07
Do we have any updates on this? I'm about to start a new campaign and would love to know if FG is close to having this or not.

damned
August 20th, 2018, 23:40
Do we have any updates on this? I'm about to start a new campaign and would love to know if FG is close to having this or not.

I dont believe so.
The dev doing this part of the code has been unwell.

UltimateGM
April 22nd, 2019, 00:25
Am I missing something? Where do I find the starship frames to drop into the ship creator?

Please delete this post I posted in the wrong section of the forums. I apologize!

xanstin
April 22nd, 2019, 01:28
Am I missing something? Where do I find the starship frames to drop into the ship creator?

Please delete this post I posted in the wrong section of the forums. I apologize!

Frames are under the starship button. The parse places NPC ships from modules in this tab making it less obvious but look for the ones from the book like Explorer, Light Freighter etc. (Not PC Starships button)

UltimateGM
April 22nd, 2019, 15:13
Frames are under the starship button. The parse places NPC ships from modules in this tab making it less obvious but look for the ones from the book like Explorer, Light Freighter etc. (Not PC Starships button)

Thanks for letting me know about the frames. One other thing that has me a bit off. I like the way you can add PCs to the ship but is there something like that I can use for NPC ships or do I need to just add their bonuses to the ship statistics or is that already added. For instance if the players are flying through space and there is an android flying a ship and the players are attacked does the ship already include statistics for the pilot or do I need to look at the androids pilot, computers, engineering skills and add those bonuses to the ship when firing ect? Thanks I know this is a lot but I am going to be running a Starfinder game soon and wanted to add as less number crunching as possible or at least get those numbers ready in an added story panel if needed.

xanstin
April 23rd, 2019, 00:52
The functionality of the PC ship crew isn't operational, don't trust any of those DCs nor do the dice work. The premade NPC ships under the crew section will show the fixed crew and their bonuses with skill included. For example a ship may have:

Captain Computers +5 (1 rank), Diplomacy +5 (1 rank), Engineering +5 (1 rank), gunnery +5
Engineer Engineering +10 (1 rank)
Gunners (2) gunnery +5
Pilot Piloting +6 (1 rank)
Science Officer Computers +5 (1 rank)

This indicates each manned position including the fact you have 2 gunners. I haven't found anything in the rules that allow you as a DM to move people around like players probably as a balance thing.

There is no easy way to setup all of this with automated rolls for anyone currently. You will have to use the virtual tabletop and treat it as such like you were in person (ie. use the premade digital sheet Starships or PC ships and roll manually adding bonuses in the modifier box the horror :p). Some workarounds are create each ship in PC ship option to have a ready place to track damage and shields, or create people NPCs and create that skill list under the NPC skills to make them rollable.

If you use the NPC route you can also setup weapons and say Guns (AC) use EAC and anything TL related uses KAC so players can target and roll from their sheets after setting up custom weapons. You can go out further and make an NPC with the player ship and share it which allows players to drag and drop the rolls from it onto the tracker against the enemy ship manually adding their bonuses on the bottom left. Lots of workarounds, none fun or quick ;)

In this example (Most labor intensive ahead of time) you can drag this as an NPC into the combat tracker which enables facing for the hex space map. You then share it with the player by dragging the entry into the chat and set it to green friendly. This allows players to open the sheet and drag the rolls from the sheet onto another NPC in the tracker to apply roll. Some notes to consider - You still have to manually add individual player bonuses before using rolls. For NPCs you can prepopulate rolls for gunnery and such. You will also have to raise the EAC and KAC to include the bonus for the pilot. I used EAC for AC and KAC for TL of the ship so if you want to target AC (guns) you set damage to any Energy weapon such as fire. If you want to target TL (missiles) set to standard B,P,S damage.

For some of the items like AC/TL you can pre-make a modifier for the suspected pilot that adds a static bonus (Piloting ranks) to the EAC and KAC to the PC ship. "AC: 5" for example. Some other tips is in your mind set each shield facing to a value in the CT for easy tracking with mousewheel editing. Init (initiative is meaningless in starship combat in a general sense outside of piloting round) can be the crit threshold, SP Front face, RP Port, Tmp Stbd, and Sbd Aft shields.

But as you can see no easy way, but lots of options if you are persistent and use the ruleset to your advantage.