PDA

View Full Version : Simple Dark Theme

Neovirtus
April 19th, 2018, 14:30
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share a little something I put together for my group. Several of my players expressed that the other themes available were a bit too bright (especially the 5e Wizards theme), and so I decided to make a "Night Mode" version of the Simple Gray theme.

If you have ideas for improvements please let me know!

Revisions
v0.3 - Theme for FGC (removed from post due to lack of testing)
v1.0 - Original Theme Updated for Unity, all future updates are for Unity unless otherwise specified
v1.01 - Theme updated for improved visibility of some icons
v1.02 - Increased size of "Close Window" icon, and the "Help" buttons (Special thanks to kevininrussia on the FG Discord for his contributions). Forum thread updated a tad.
v1.03 - Updated for compatibility with 02-2021 Ruleset Updates. Replaced Ship CT Icon for SFRPG Ruleset.

Neovirtus
April 19th, 2018, 14:49
Perhaps this should be in the Extensions Sub-forum? If so, maybe a mod could move it? Thanks.

Zacchaeus
April 19th, 2018, 16:17
Done.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2018, 04:34
Welcome to the forums! Nice first post *G* glad you are here!

Neovirtus
April 20th, 2018, 16:01
Welcome to the forums! Nice first post *G* glad you are here!

Thanks LordEntrails. Been lurking for a while, and more active on Discord. Seems like a great community (not that I would expect anything less from a TTRPG-centric group!).

Valyar
April 22nd, 2018, 09:40
I like this theme. If there is a way to select the font type and base color it can be used as universal theme for both sci-fi and fantasy games. Maybe some slider to control the base color, but I don’t know if there is such possibility with themes, like we have with the dices.

Maybe playing with the /light switch? :confused:

leozelig
April 22nd, 2018, 12:35
This is a great look, thanks lavoiejh! I think CoreRPG should adopt it (or one of the other "simple" themes) as the default.

ll00ll00ll00ll
April 22nd, 2018, 14:28
I can't tell you how happy this makes me... seeing these themes take on (an albeit small) life of their own. These first two themes were always meant as a jumping off point to do exactly what is happening here, make color / font changes, make different "flavors" of these, once the basic architecture was established. In my head it would eventually be something like the google chrome theme options. I only wish i had the time to dedicate to it myself... someday!

Neovirtus
April 22nd, 2018, 18:30
I've updated the OP with an updated extension (v0.3). Turns out I had gotten overzealous in my renaming of files and the inspiration check box wasn't appearing anymore. Thanks to Torment#0990 on the FG Discord for messaging me about the initial issue and helping me to find the mistake. Very glad to see that other people are finding that they like the modified theme. I'll continue to play with it, and make improvements as time allows. I've already got a small wishlist of changes going, so please let me know if there's anything you think of while using the theme and I'll add it to the list. Or, as Torment did, go ahead and fix it if you can, then just let me know so I can push it out to the community in this thread!

Neovirtus
April 22nd, 2018, 18:32
I can't tell you how happy this makes me... seeing these themes take on (an albeit small) life of their own. These first two themes were always meant as a jumping off point to do exactly what is happening here, make color / font changes, make different "flavors" of these, once the basic architecture was established. In my head it would eventually be something like the google chrome theme options. I only wish i had the time to dedicate to it myself... someday!

Thank you very much for the effort on the original themes. It says a lot that someone like me (i.e. a programming rookie) can go in and easily figure out what needs to be done to make it the way my group wants! I'm having a lot of fun learning with this stuff, and when I can't scratch the D&D itch, this allows me to do something tangentially related.

Neovirtus
April 22nd, 2018, 18:46
I like this theme. If there is a way to select the font type and base color it can be used as universal theme for both sci-fi and fantasy games. Maybe some slider to control the base color, but I don’t know if there is such possibility with themes, like we have with the dices.

Maybe playing with the /light switch? :confused:

I've learned since making this that you can alter the appearance of the whole tabletop using the /lighting command. My impression is that it is a nice feature, and a good way to make quick changes, but it can do odd things to text and in general just cause havoc with contrast. The built in red (campfire) and night daylight mood settings and up being a kind of pale red and relatively nice blue with this theme, but if you want some random color you'd need to play with the "/lighting HEXRGB" command

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2018, 18:48
A mood lighting extension is available here that extends the 4 standard moods: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21219-HoloGnome-s-MoodLighting-Extension-for-CoreRPG

I haven't used it for ages, so don't know if it is 100% compatible with the latest version of FG. It's fairly standalone, so hope it (mostly) works OK.

Neovirtus
April 22nd, 2018, 19:21
A mood lighting extension is available here that extends the 4 standard moods: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21219-HoloGnome-s-MoodLighting-Extension-for-CoreRPG

I haven't used it for ages, so don't know if it is 100% compatible with the latest version of FG. It's fairly standalone, so hope it (mostly) works OK.

It appears to work, from what I can tell. Just gives a bunch new preset lighting conditions using the /lighting command. Definitely good for those that want that feature. In general, I'm way too picky about contrast and color scheming to use that feature I think.

anfiach
May 7th, 2018, 00:31
A little tip. If you find colors that you like which are not the default ones you can type the command "/lighting (your color here)" into the chat and drag it to your hotkeys bar. Just edit the name on the button and you have instant access to custom lighting for your campaign.

Skillkoil
August 27th, 2018, 15:16
I love the theme and anyone who can work tangentially into a sentence is OK in my book! Well done!

Skillkoil
August 27th, 2018, 15:20
A little tip. If you find colors that you like which are not the default ones you can type the command "/lighting (your color here)" into the chat and drag it to your hotkeys bar. Just edit the name on the button and you have instant access to custom lighting for your campaign.

Anytime I use the /lighting color in chat it always just turns my screen black. Am I doing something wrong?

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2018, 15:23
The /lighting needs to be followed by a hex number eg /lighting F1F1F1. Each pair represents how much Red Green and Blue amounts are in the colour.

Skillkoil
August 27th, 2018, 15:25
The /lighting needs to be followed by a hex number eg /lighting F1F1F1. Each pair represents how much Red Green and Blue amounts are in the colour.

Thank you Zacchaeus!

Neovirtus
August 27th, 2018, 17:47
I love the theme and anyone who can work tangentially into a sentence is OK in my book! Well done!

Glad you like the theme Skillkoil. Happy to hear more people are getting some use out of it!

mlesnews
August 29th, 2018, 17:18
Thanks for this, great job!

Neovirtus
April 25th, 2020, 20:51
The first post has been edited to include a version of the Simple Dark Theme for Unity. Please let me know if you see any issues. Happy gaming!

Neovirtus
April 25th, 2020, 21:25
I think I had a mistake in the compression process, should be fixed now, if you happened to download it in the last hour.

Neovirtus
May 19th, 2020, 02:14
Updated to v1.02 with small changes to the Close Window and Help buttons. Hope you find the changes beneficial.

bmos
June 15th, 2020, 14:04
Just want to say i really like the yellow windows on the dice tower.
Such a charming little touch of color in a nice minimal theme.

Neovirtus
June 15th, 2020, 15:00
Haha, glad you like it. Can't take too much credit, for the most part all I've done is manipulate the base art of the Simple Gray theme.

StoryWeaver
July 1st, 2020, 16:41
Great themes!

Something that seems to have broken with a recent FGU update, is that the modifier buttons at the bottom left no longer change (give a graphical indicator) when they are pressed.

ps. Noticed this is the same with the Assets window buttons and attack modifier buttons on the lower left for D&D 5E. So it's a FGU bug. I'll report it in.

Neovirtus
July 2nd, 2020, 14:30
Hey Styrmir, yeah I've noticed some of the button press animations are borked as well. I believe I reported something similar, namely that some buttons don't properly reset after being pressed.

That thread is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58086-Button-press-visual-on-quot-Help-quot-button-not-releasing&highlight=

But it never got any responses!

Neovirtus
July 2nd, 2020, 14:31
Edit: double post

bmos
October 2nd, 2020, 21:28
Do you have a Photoshop (or other layered graphics program) resource file for the shortcut icons?
I have found a way to natively support multiple themes in an extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62418-Matching-Sidebar-Icon-to-Multiple-Themes) (by checking for loaded themes and changing extension sidebar icon accordingly) and am putting together a centralized location for these so that future extensions can very easily support a bunch of themes.

Neovirtus
October 3rd, 2020, 03:57
I have just reused the assets from the Simple Gray theme. I started to try to make a layered version of those icons and didn't have the patience for it.

bmos
October 3rd, 2020, 13:47
I have just reused the assets from the Simple Gray theme. I started to try to make a layered version of those icons and didn't have the patience for it.
Fortunately, patience is one of the few things I usually have an abundance of.
Here's a layered version (https://github.com/bmos/FG-PFRPG-Disease-Tracker/blob/master/graphics/resources/themesupport/simpledark_button_diseases.psd). I only added the plus and minus symbols a toggle-able options in the psd file for now.
I got the font very close but it is a little bit lighter (line weight, not the color) and some characters do have slightly different shapes.

Neovirtus
October 3rd, 2020, 21:47
Cool, I'll check it out.

sammyelal
February 7th, 2021, 10:49
Awesome theme really well done. I have a request could you remake the starship combat icon for the Starfinder ruleset to fit the theme pls?

Neovirtus
February 7th, 2021, 18:07
Thanks for reporting Sammyelal. I'll look into it.

Neovirtus
February 18th, 2021, 02:06
New version updated for compatibility with the ruleset update, and also fixed the Starfinder ShipCT icon. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other assets for Starfinder that don't have greyscale versions in the Simple Grey theme. I made this one from scratch because it's on the desktop and an eyesore, but I'm not photoshop wizard so addressing all the different icons is beyond my capabilities. I've put in a bug report with SW to see if they will update the Simple Gray theme with all the assets needed, then I can incorporate them here.