PDA

View Full Version : Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 11:14
Morning All,

I started building Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition back in September 2015. At that time I didn't know how to build a ruleset, I looked inside CoreRPG and CoC and found out 'how' to do certain things. I love Traveller, one of the best sci-fi games I've ever played (and I've played a lot!). I can remember first playing Traveller in the mid-1980's, then playing MegaTraveller and finally playing and running Traveller 2300 (or as it was known as later, 2300AD). So my plan was to create 2300AD so I can play it again, but I noticed that Mongoose version was based on the Traveller ruleset, so that's where I started. I started stop, added more, stopped, started and so on and after a year or so towards the end of 2016 I had built a lot of modules for FG (mostly CoC). Doug asked me if I could help them out, could I build the ruleset for 'What's Old is New'. So I did. I stopped Traveller, spent a year building that (was a lot to learn and WOiN is very complex) but I finished that and it's out in the store.

Which meant that I was free again. I've been talking to Mongoose about this ruleset as I back all their Kickstarter projects for the New Traveller. They want me to start on the New Traveller, but I explained I had to finish this off as the new ruleset could be built on top. So I picked it back up in late March and have basically re-wrote a lot of what I originally wrote to better fit the latest CoreRPG updates.

Just like WOiN, I've started simple, and over time I will fix issues and add development.

Version 1.0.8 is already in the system
Version 1.0.9 should be LIVE on Tuesday (26th Mar 2019)
Version 1.0.10. is currently in development, fixing and adding things - main focus is Psionic based attacks and Healing

So what does the Mongoose Traveller Ruleset get you?

Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition Rulebook. All parsed, created Careers, Homeworlds, Equipment (Armour, Augments, Communications, Computers, Medical Supplies, Robots/Drones, Sensors, Survival Gear, Toolkits, Vehicles and Weapons), Skills* and PSI Talents.

Character Sheets
Allow you to drag Skills, Equipment and Homeworlds onto the character.
Dragging a Homeworld onto the Character Sheet will add the Skill.
You can drag any Equipment onto the character and encumbrance is calculated.
An action tab includes attacks for Weapons and has the Character Status (Wound Track) frame.
Weapon attacks, you can create custom attacks.
PSI Abilities linked to PSI Talents.
Normal histories, Friends/Ally, Finances notes are also included.
Armour is supported. Drop it into the Equipment and it's added as armour IF it's worn. So you can stack armour (if the GM allows). This will show as 'Layered' in the Combat Tracker.
Weapon Attacks. Drop a Weapon into the Equipment tab and it's added as an attack, reading the skill to set the skill level.

Combat Tracker
Attack rolls and Damage Rolls are all supported.
Melee attacks will add either the Str or Dex DM (whichever is higher by default)
Ranged attacks will add the Dex DM by default.
Attacks are either Melee or Ranged (the Range is used to know which is which)
Targets are supported, drag the Crosshairs onto the target, or drag the attack/damage dice.
Armour is taken into account for Damage Rolls, however so is the Min Damage of 1 is an attack is made with 6+ Effect (if you roll 14 or more).
Armour has a resistance that reduces damage only against that Damage Type.
Wound Track goes down with Damage (starting on the Endurance stat). After End is 0, then the next damage affects the highest of either Str or Dex (and so on).
Modifiers take effect to the attack dice total being rolled.
The Desktop modifier adds to the attack dice total.

NPC's
NPC's have simpler character sheets - you can enter the UPP to quickly build them. Add in Armour, Add in Attacks (or Drag a weapon over the top of an attack) and add skills/equipment.

Party Sheet
The Party Sheet allows the GM to see a snapshot of the team. The Wound Track is shown as 3 bars, all stats are shown as well as Armour/Rating.

Skills
Skill rolls. Have to be associated with a Characteristic, which the DM then affects the total bonus before rolling.
Unskilled. Automatically added and set as -3.
Skills may be added manually (on the Character Sheet).

Other
The desktops include a series of quick buttons to set the Difficulty modifier quickly. For example, if it's an Easy roll (+4) when the roll is made the +4 will be added automatically.
Traveller styled Theme created by Damned.
3 Letter based token packs created by Die Hard Gaming. Pack 'B' is part of the ruleset, Pack A and Pack C are token modules.
Tables. Lots of tables are all part of FG, mostly for Career choices.
World Data. You can enter in Worlds using the UWP to quickly build the details out. (part of 1.0.6.).

There's more to it as well, but hopefully, everything added works nicely. Need some nice beta testing now.

There's a DropBox folder containing screenshots, found here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie80d3ryf53vuom/AABYujbdyJgVSUMhNUvt0Tija?dl=0).

You can also find other updates on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan) (I show most of my coding updates there)

*Now one thing I hoped would be in the initial release was Psionics. But if WOiN has taught me anything, be careful and do this correctly. That's what I'm doing, get the ruleset out there and for a future build add-in Psionics in a way that works.

What's next?

This is my current thinking Todo List. My priority is to fix issues that stop the game from being played. Once the ruleset has 'settled' down the Beta/Early Access will be removed and more updates will focus on adding new features.

Reduce PsiPoints when Psi based skills are used/attacks are made.
Careers. Allow drag and drop and prompt the user for which career assignment - prompt skill choices etc.
Spaceships. Add spaceships as data, then look and sharing a ship (once this feature is in FG).
Tables. See if it's possible to roll a D66.

The Little Black Books. (Does not include the Third Imperium)

It's not my intention of converting any of these.

I shall be jumping onto the New Traveller from March 2019, but this edition will still see updates as 2E and 1E share a lot of rules.

So here we have it, I'll be tweaking it over the coming week until the Theme is updated (Combat Tracker).

Cheers,
MBM aka Colin.

TriOpticon
April 16th, 2018, 11:34
This is great as I’ve been following it for some time!

How does one help test it?

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 12:10
This is great as I’ve been following it for some time!

How does one help test it?

Once the code gets over to FG and they pass it, they'll give a beta build to a few select people who can give it a test. Feedback will be direct with me.

So drop your details to jholloway (at) smiteworks.com as he'll organise the beta rollout.

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers,
MBM

damned
April 16th, 2018, 13:28
I think that would be jholloway@

Honken
April 16th, 2018, 16:47
I have seen you do some tweets about it. It is based on CoreRPG, right?

I am playing Mongoose 2e now with CoreRPG, it is simmilar enough so I might have a look at the beta.

/H

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 17:23
I have seen you do some tweets about it. It is based on CoreRPG, right?

I am playing Mongoose 2e now with CoreRPG, it is simmilar enough so I might have a look at the beta.

/H

Yes it's built on top of CoreRPG like all the newer rulesets.

The 2e stuff will be officially from Mongoose Publishing, the plan is to release everything over time.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 27th, 2018, 17:33
Evening all,

Been a busy week. I'd like to thank TriOpticon for all his feedback on the ruleset.

I'm going to push v1.0.3. tonight. This has a few bug fixes, some additional dev for NPC's and a series of tokens from Damned that fit the ruleset.

So all in all this week, added Vehicles (data), fixed typo's in the rulebook, fixed errors and added dev.

I'll take some more screenshots and add them to the DropBox later.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 1st, 2018, 14:29
Afternoon All,

Last night I sent v1.0.4. over to FG.

This is what 1.0.4. contained:

NPC - UPP was ignoring 0 values
PC's - Added rollable icons to attack/damage fields
PC's - Updated background colours to match NPC's (Dark Grey)
Equipment - Titles were showing Tl rather than TL
Skills - You can now add Skills and edit the title/body (formatted text)
Task Difficulty Average - Wasn't showing in the skill text in the chat manager
Reference Manual - Addressed 2 formatting issues

Also added 3 token sets that were created by Damian/Die Hard Gaming (who's also created the Theme).

I've updated Post #1 with the version details and added a screenshot for the token set in the DropBox folder.

Cheers
MBM

Logarus
May 4th, 2018, 16:24
I have run a couple of campaigns in Mongoose traveller and will be starting The Pirates of Drinax soon so was wondering how to get into the Beta test.

Logarus

MadBeardMan
May 4th, 2018, 16:39
Hi All,

Last night I sent v1.0.5. over to FG, it's now classed as 'Early Access'.

First thanks for the awesome feedback from the beta chaps, especially TriOpticon who's been the best I could hope for (hope you're feeling better).

This is what v1.0.5. contained:

Reference Manual - all images are now links, click on them to show the picture
Reference Manual - formatting issues at end of chapter fixed
NPC's - Added CareerPath field, for example 'Rogue (3)'
Party Sheet - Fixed issue with it not showing the Cash on Hand for each character
Party Sheet - Fixed the issue with the cash distribution not working
Weapons Data - Now shows Recoil/Heft, BlastRadius and Auto fields (depending on the weapon you're viewing)
Weapons Data - fixed issue with Cost field showing as the Magazine size
Encounters - Changed text to Battles (tool tips etc)
Quest - Removed from being a default GM button
Images - Removed/renamed some images

On top of those a number of tweaks to things.

Currently under conversion for this version of Traveller, the Tripwire Campaign. I'm converting this and starting to run it on Sunday, soon as I've play tested and addressed any issues it'll go upto FG.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 4th, 2018, 16:44
I have run a couple of campaigns in Mongoose traveller and will be starting The Pirates of Drinax soon so was wondering how to get into the Beta test.

Logarus

Hi Logarus,

Thanks for the question. The beta period is now closed. The ruleset is now marked 'Early Access' and will be in the store soon.

GL with Pirates. There will be an official conversion (guessing late summer) from Mongoose for that on FG, but from what I've read of it, you'll have few issues with this ruleset, the only thing that might be an issue is Animals use HitPoints, NPC's only support the Wound Track at the moment.

Cheers,
MBM

chumbly
May 10th, 2018, 00:20
YIPPPEEE YIPPPEEEE its in the store....

It shows up in the general list and under the Mongoose tag in the publisher filter.. Still needs to be added to the ruleset filter tag.

YIPPPEEE...YIPPPEE HUZZAH HUZZZAH.. I am really happy ty MaxBeardMan and Smiteworks.. my favorite rpg is finally in Fantasy Grounds as a supported ruleset.

Chumbly
Ad Astra ---> to the STARS!!!!!

Andraax
May 10th, 2018, 00:49
How do I get rid of the "delete" button on the CT? It is always on for PCs (works as expected for NPCs).

https://s3.silent-tower.org/ct.JPG

Logarus
May 10th, 2018, 03:23
When do you think a 2nd edition version will be out....

Logarus

MadBeardMan
May 10th, 2018, 07:43
How do I get rid of the "delete" button on the CT? It is always on for PCs (works as expected for NPCs).

https://s3.silent-tower.org/ct.JPG

Ah dang, seems a silly bug :( I'll fix that over the weekend with a few more bits, thanks for reporting it.

Cheers, MBM

MadBeardMan
May 10th, 2018, 07:44
When do you think a 2nd edition version will be out....

Logarus

Not sure yet, sorry, but it's on my list now.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
May 10th, 2018, 07:46
YIPPPEEE YIPPPEEEE its in the store....

It shows up in the general list and under the Mongoose tag in the publisher filter.. Still needs to be added to the ruleset filter tag.

YIPPPEEE...YIPPPEE HUZZAH HUZZZAH.. I am really happy ty MaxBeardMan and Smiteworks.. my favorite rpg is finally in Fantasy Grounds as a supported ruleset.

Chumbly
Ad Astra ---> to the STARS!!!!!

Nice :)

backwardoracle
May 10th, 2018, 17:45
Fantastic, I've been waiting for this for what seems forever :)

After tinkering with it for awhile now, might I make a few suggestions:

A couple of images are cut in half, one of them has no upper half?

Add the Survival & Promotion/Advancement to the career information will save looking it up in the reference manual.

Take off the worlds tab, its only used once for creation & can be easily referenced from the manual along with Background skills.

Could it be made into two modules? A players (for character creation) and Referee Book, that way you can unload a lot of tables you only need once.

A planets tab (similar to NPC's) would be extremely useful as it could not only contain the UWP, & details but could hold information on goods & services for trade & passengers.

I would like to see the Patron & Trade tables included, though.

Ships, really need ship data tab.

JohnD
May 10th, 2018, 23:18
Congratulations on the release.

MadBeardMan
May 11th, 2018, 06:57
Morning All,

Started on a new contract during the working week, and been bombarded by meetings (serves me right for working for a Government department).

I'll jump on all the feedback/issues over the weekend, but thanks for all the messages and things, you're ace folks.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 12:43
Fantastic, I've been waiting for this for what seems forever :)

After tinkering with it for awhile now, might I make a few suggestions:

Hi BackwardOracle,

First off thanks for picking up the ruleset and thanks a lot more for good feedback.

Let's go through your list one at a time.

'A couple of images are cut in half, one of them has no upper half'.
Can you include a screen shot please, so I can double check I've uploaded the correct versions.

Add the Survival & Promotion/Advancement to the career information will save looking it up in the reference manual.
Planned for a future update, possibly v1.0.7 which might drop end of this month.

Take off the worlds tab, its only used once for creation & can be easily referenced from the manual along with Background skills.
Ok good idea, I'll add that to 1.0.6. For the moment you can easily untick it from the Library screen.

Could it be made into two modules? A players (for character creation) and Referee Book, that way you can unload a lot of tables you only need once.
A great idea, how do you suggest it's split, personally I prefer the Referee to have the complete rulebook (with all the tables), and players only the Creation and Equipment Chapters, I welcome your ideads for a player module is a good idea.

A planets tab (similar to NPC's) would be extremely useful as it could not only contain the UWP, & details but could hold information on goods & services for trade & passengers.
Another great idea, and I'm already working on it (for Tripwire), I might get it finished for v1.0.6 which I'm working on at the moment, if not it'll be in v1.0.7.

I would like to see the Patron & Trade tables included, though.
I'll see what I can for the next version, it's a lot of time to add the tables, but I'll go through the other now.

Ships, really need ship data tab.
Coming soon(ish). At the moment, Starfinder is developing the Ships system within FG. I've had a look at the data elements and will soon add those to Traveller (v1.0.9 - next month maybe).

I hope these answers work for you, all are possible/being added now/future.

So let's see how much coding I can do over the weekend, and get an update over to Smiteworks.

Cheers,
MBM

Andraax
May 12th, 2018, 13:29
A great idea, how do you suggest it's split, personally I prefer the Referee to have the complete rulebook (with all the tables), and players only the Creation and Equipment Chapters, I welcome your ideads for a player module is a good idea.

My personal preference would be:

"Character Creation Rulebook" - everything needed only during character creation - career tracks, background info, etc.
"Player's Rulebook" - things the players are likely to use / need during play - items / armor / weapons, combat rules, etc.
"Referee's Rulebook" - everything else the ref needs during play - trade info, world creation info, etc.

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 13:39
My personal preference would be:

"Character Creation Rulebook" - everything needed only during character creation - career tracks, background info, etc.
"Player's Rulebook" - things the players are likely to use / need during play - items / armor / weapons, combat rules, etc.
"Referee's Rulebook" - everything else the ref needs during play - trade info, world creation info, etc.

Here's the Chapter from 1e:

TRAVELLER
CHARACTER CREATION
SKILLS AND TASKS
COMBAT
ENCOUNTERS AND DANGERS
EQUIPMENT
SPACECRAFT DESIGN
COMMON SPACECRAFT
SPACECRAFT OPERATIONS
SPACE COMBAT
PSIONICS
TRADE
WORLD CREATION

So for the Modules:

Character Creation Rulebook: Chapter 2, 3, 6 and 11.
Players Rulebook: Chapter 1, 4, 2, 3, 6, 10 and 11.
Refeere's Rulebook: Chapter 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Cheers,
MBM

Andraax
May 12th, 2018, 14:29
I'd leave 2 out of the players module. Also, anything that is in the players module doesn't need to be in the referee module - the referee can open both.

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 14:36
I'd leave 2 out of the players module. Also, anything that is in the players module doesn't need to be in the referee module - the referee can open both.

So taking that into account:

Character Creation Rulebook: Chapter 2, 3, 6 and 11.
Players Rulebook: Chapter 1, 3, 4, 6, 10 and 11.
Refeere's Rulebook: Chapter 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13

For me, I prefer just 1 module open if I can help it, save clicking through trying to find the right bit of info, but that's me. I'm open to how others play.

Cheers

backwardoracle
May 12th, 2018, 17:02
Here you go,

great :)

I'd say though the ref dosn't need Chapter one, :)

Traveller being very table heavy will become unwieldy with the extra Patron & Trade tables, you'll be scrolling through very many tables you won't need again. If at some stage you add the extra career books, it will be easier to swap in and out at creation.

backwardoracle
May 12th, 2018, 17:09
It might be an idea to have a word with deluxOz, his extensions could save a lot of work. It would be fantastic for setting up systems, passengers & trade.

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 17:10
Here you go,

great :)

I'd say though the ref dosn't need Chapter one, :)

Traveller being very table heavy will become unwieldy with the extra Patron & Trade tables, you'll be scrolling through very many tables you won't need again. If at some stage you add the extra career books, it will be easier to swap in and out at creation.

Cheers for the screeny, those were removed, odd they've reappeared in the ruleset, I'll tell them off.

Ok I'll remove Chapter 1 from the 'Ref's' module.

Traveller is table heavy, so anything that helps reduce them will be great.

Would people still want a 'full rulebook' (ie the way it is now) option? As it's there/done already, just for people who (like me) prefer the '1 module'.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 17:11
It might be an idea to have a word with deluxOz, his extensions could save a lot of work. It would be fantastic for setting up systems, passengers & trade.

Which of his many extensions are you thinking about?

Andraax
May 12th, 2018, 17:12
I already mentioned it to him; he said he would include support in his extensions if he was provided with a copy of the ruleset.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2018, 17:13
Would people still want a 'full rulebook' (ie the way it is now) option? As it's there/done already, just for people who (like me) prefer the '1 module'
Yup.

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 17:14
I already mentioned it to him; he said he would include support in his extensions if he was provided with a copy of the ruleset.

Ok he can ask James. Be nice though if you let me know which extensions, see if they clash with future plans or (better) they save me time not re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 17:15
Yup.

Phew, not just me and my brain then! Cool.

Trenloe
May 12th, 2018, 17:19

So, that would be Dulux officially supporting the ruleset in his extension then?

I think it's dangerous to produce a commercial product that relies on the use of a third party extension. No matter how good or well supported it is. Real life can take over and the developer can no longer have time to support it, or maybe even leaves the community - which has happened numerous times.

backwardoracle
May 12th, 2018, 17:40
Not knowing much about the programming or legal side, I was thinking if something like locations extension (or a simplified version) could be built in. Or as a interim measure until it could become part of the product.

To most of the people that I have been playing traveller with over the past 30 or so years, passengers & trade has been a large part of the game, just looking for a way to have it prepared ready.

MadBeardMan
May 12th, 2018, 17:45
Not knowing much about the programming or legal side, I was thinking if something like locations extension (or a simplified version) could be built in. Or as a interim measure until it could become part of the product.

To most of the people that I have been playing traveller with over the past 30 or so years, passengers & trade has been a large part of the game, just looking for a way to have it prepared ready.

At the moment, the 'ships' side of things are still in development within FG. Once they've been completed and Starfinder has them implemented then I'll look at building Traveller ships. My aim with those was to include a manifest section (for trade) and a staterooms section (for passengers) these are not going to happen in the short term (ruleset development takes time) so feel free to use any extension in the meantime.

Andraax
May 12th, 2018, 19:28
Ok he can ask James. Be nice though if you let me know which extensions, see if they clash with future plans or (better) they save me time not re-inventing the wheel.

I would like to use the following:

DOE: Locations Extension
DOE: OLE Extension
DOE: Organisations Extension
DOE: Sound Extension
DOE: Weather Extension

Andraax
May 12th, 2018, 23:55
Are languages supported? I tried to get the alternate languages in chat to work - I tried adding skills like "Language (Vilani)", just "Vilani", and putting "Vilani" in racial traits, but none of these are recognized when I put text into the chat window with a language of "Vilani" selected.

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 07:11
I would like to use the following:

DOE: Locations Extension
DOE: OLE Extension
DOE: Organisations Extension
DOE: Sound Extension
DOE: Weather Extension

All of these are good from my side, no real plans for anything like this from what I can see.

Are languages supported? I tried to get the alternate languages in chat to work - I tried adding skills like "Language (Vilani)", just "Vilani", and putting "Vilani" in racial traits, but none of these are recognized when I put text into the chat window with a language of "Vilani" selected.

Ah, knew I was missing something, I'll look into adding these.

Thanks,
MBM

superteddy57
May 13th, 2018, 07:15
I was toying around with adding custom weapons and items and didn't have the boxes for things like damage, magazine, and range for weapons as an example. Are these only available for the module items and not for custom content?

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 07:19
I was toying around with adding custom weapons and items and didn't have the boxes for things like damage, magazine, and range for weapons as an example. Are these only available for the module items and not for custom content?

Morning,

Those extra fields should 'appear' when the type is changed, it appears it doesn't, I'll get that sorted for you in the next update (working on that hoping it's this week).

Thanks,
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 08:15
Morning All,

Yesterday I started on v1.0.6. The aim of this version was to fix any issues reported in the initial release, plus start to add more features. Of course, issues found take priority but I'm happy to say that so far it's been not too bad (now I bet it goes mad).

Items for v1.0.6.

Fix the issues when clicking the Shortcut on Aliens, Homeworlds etc (DONE)
Fix the theme issue with the 'names' on all NPC's, Aliens etc (DONE)
Fix the Delete button on the characters in the Combat Tracker (DONE)
Removed the 'cut images' (DONE)
Add the World Data (WORKING)
Fix the issue when adding Weapons to show the Damage/Magazine

As you can see, I've started working on adding the 'Worlds' data, here's a screenshot of the basic layout completed. There's a notes tab as well, allows fully formatted text and links. I'm working on the UWP field, so it can update all the other fields.

Hoping to finish this version today as I'm back to work tomorrow, but free tomorrow night if needed.

Cheers
MBM

superteddy57
May 13th, 2018, 08:45
I hope I'm not causing you grief, but I also noticed when creating NPCs was the Attribute boxes didn't calculate past 15. Tried making a 30 str thunderer and it reverted back to 0.

As well when adding skills it would autocomplete, but with an extra letter of the one you typed. So Comms would then auto complete to Commss. It works fine if I don't add a space for the number and is fine with Comms1. Not sure if that intended and wanted to share.

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 09:12
I hope I'm not causing you grief, but I also noticed when creating NPCs was the Attribute boxes didn't calculate past 15. Tried making a 30 str thunderer and it reverted back to 0.

As well when adding skills it would autocomplete, but with an extra letter of the one you typed. So Comms would then auto complete to Commss. It works fine if I don't add a space for the number and is fine with Comms1. Not sure if that intended and wanted to share.

Hello, you're not so don't worry.

Where in the Rulebook is the value guide for beyond 15? As I can't locate it myself, as the Characteristic Mod goes upto 15 (+3).

Skills are a bit of a pain, it's intended for cut and paste really, but I might remove that and make it a list similar to PC's, not sure yet as feedback like this makes me decide these things.

Cheers

Andraax
May 13th, 2018, 11:48
Where in the Rulebook is the value guide for beyond 15? As I can't locate it myself, as the Characteristic Mod goes upto 15 (+3).

The modifier is +3 for values of 15 and above. 15 is the maximum value for an "unaugmented human" - however that leaves open the possibilities of "augmentations" allowing these to go higher. In addition, the creature creation tables have the ability to roll up to 7d6 for creature attributes (indeed, one of the example creatures has a strength of 22).

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 12:12
The modifier is +3 for values of 15 and above. 15 is the maximum value for an "unaugmented human" - however that leaves open the possibilities of "augmentations" allowing these to go higher. In addition, the creature creation tables have the ability to roll up to 7d6 for creature attributes (indeed, one of the example creatures has a strength of 22).

In v1.0.7 I'll be adding a new 'checkbox' to say the NPC is a 'Creature/Animal' to change the Labels for Edu/Soc.

I can't find the Creature in the Main Rulebook, so can you tell me which 'page' has this please.

Cheers

Andraax
May 13th, 2018, 12:19
In my book, page 73. The Thunderer. Actually I was wrong, it has *Endurance* of 22, it has a Strength of 30.

https://s3.silent-tower.org/creature.JPG

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 12:27
In my book, page 73. The Thunderer. Actually I was wrong, it has *Endurance* of 22, it has a Strength of 30.

https://s3.silent-tower.org/creature.JPG

Cool, thanks for the page (and image), so if the Stength is 30, will the 'Mod' still be 3? If so I can update the NPC today.

Cheers,
Col

Andraax
May 13th, 2018, 12:38
Yeah; it's clearer in the 2E rulebook where the table explicitly states that the modifier for "15+" is +3 (in the 1E rulebook, it just has "15").

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 12:41
Yeah; it's clearer in the 2E rulebook where the table explicitly states that the modifier for "15+" is +3 (in the 1E rulebook, it just has "15").

Cool, thanks very much, and yes, 2E is clearer for some things as well, been working on that last week.

So thanks for all your help!

backwardoracle
May 13th, 2018, 13:58
Excellent work :o, Could it be possible to be able to drag size the character sheet so events can be read more easily?

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 14:02
Excellent work :o, Could it be possible to be able to drag size the character sheet so events can be read more easily?

Yes, but that's a bit of work as it was a bit of a pain to align everything.

Just finished the Worlds Data form, all I have left is to rebuild the UWP if the values are changed manually. Should have that done in about an hour, then back to fixing some reported issues.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2018, 16:19
Afternoon All,

Yesterday I started on v1.0.6. The aim of this version was to fix any issues reported in the initial release, plus start to add more features. Of course, issues found take priority but I'm happy to say that so far it's been not too bad (now I bet it goes mad).

Items for v1.0.6.

Fix the issues when clicking the Shortcut on Aliens, Homeworlds etc (DONE)
Fix the theme issue with the 'names' on all NPC's, Aliens etc (DONE)
Fix the Delete button on the characters in the Combat Tracker (DONE)
Fix the issue with NPC's actions, when there are no actions the Weapon, Attack, Damage and Range labels are all still showing (DONE)
Removed the 'cut images' (DONE)
Add the World Data(DONE)
Fix the issue when adding Weapons to show the Damage/Magazine (WORKING ON)

World Data
There's a new sidebar button called 'Worlds' - note the old Homeworld sidebar button was known as 'Worlds' but it's renamed to 'Homeworld' (to fit on the button at a 1pt reduced font size).
Within the pop-up window you may create worlds, edit and delete as you would any other data.
Inside there's the UWP field (like NPC UPP's) to quickly enable you to add in the World Data from any source material that uses it. You can override the data and the UWP will be updated, please note be careful with Bases, Trade Codes and Travel Code, these are formatted to a specific way, very simply enter in this UWP and you'll see: 0602 A200400–B Z Z NI G - DO NOT enter the name as part of the UWP, otherwise it will not work correctly.
Do note the Bases and Trade Codes are codes and not 'human readable', for the moment use the Rulebook to learn these. I am looking at using a Hover over showing the 'Human Text', that's just an idea at the moment.

I'm using the World Data for the Tripwire campaign book, so I'll fix any issues found as I add them later tonight.

Cheers
MBM

superteddy57
May 14th, 2018, 04:23
A thing to add as well might be a NPC option for Patrons as well. Might make book keeping a bit easier for DM's. Is there a way to offer assistance with module making or with the project? I'd love to help in some way.

MadBeardMan
May 14th, 2018, 07:19
A thing to add as well might be a NPC option for Patrons as well. Might make book keeping a bit easier for DM's. Is there a way to offer assistance with module making or with the project? I'd love to help in some way.

Good Morning,

You're helping by replying here with issues and ideas. That's what I need now, unless you have access to a time machine....

Seriously though, I'll look into this, the idea of having 'options' for NPC's, or a 'type' makes sense, as these can be filtered out. I'll look into it.

Cheers,
MBM

superteddy57
May 14th, 2018, 15:40
Ok great! I'll give you a list next time since I'm converting all of my content I set up in MoreCore when I was playing there. I was actually working on a MoreCore extension for Traveller. Would that a big no no to continue working on that since now SmiteWorks sells this ruleset?

damned
May 14th, 2018, 15:42
Ok great! I'll give you a list next time since I'm converting all of my content I set up in MoreCore when I was playing there. I was actually working on a MoreCore extension for Traveller. Would that a big no no to continue working on that since now SmiteWorks sells this ruleset?

Its not a No-No. You can make extensions etc for games. The big advantage from a commercial ruleset (other than the polish and near-completeness) is the licensed material in full FG format. That is stuff you cant do in an extension.

ddavison
May 14th, 2018, 16:12
As damned said, feel free to continue working on your own version of anything we have in the store. The store options are there for convenience and as a way to allow legally sharing of content. You will always be able to build and share mechanics for games you like but any content you convert for use will only be usable by you.

LordNanoc
May 14th, 2018, 19:12
Hi!

Those are great news! I played Megatraveller in the late 1990ies and a bit D&D before that. After this I played mostly MMORPGs on the computer.
We have a nice little D&D group up and running now again and we're using FG.

I stumbled over Traveller for FG in my Steam account and bought it today. Strangely the rulebook doesn't appear in my FG window. I updated and everything. Doesn't help. Maybe it takes a while for the DLC to get to me?

Well anyways, thanks alot for your work.

Trenloe
May 14th, 2018, 19:43
I stumbled over Traveller for FG in my Steam account and bought it today. Strangely the rulebook doesn't appear in my FG window. I updated and everything. Doesn't help. Maybe it takes a while for the DLC to get to me?
Sync you FG account with your Steam account here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp then run a FG update. Even if you've done this before, try it again.

And Welcome to the FG forums! :)

LordNanoc
May 15th, 2018, 13:31
Sync you FG account with your Steam account ...

And Welcome to the FG forums! :)

TA mate. That did it! And thanks for the welcome :)

GunbunnyFuFu
May 21st, 2018, 01:02
I'm seeing an issue with adding careers. When adding a career, the new career box pops up, however, I can't type anything into the title, nor any text into the text portion. In addition, there is some garbled text there. Any idea of why this is?

GunbunnyFuFu
May 22nd, 2018, 01:27
Is it possible to add your own weapons and armor to the ruleset? It used to be you could right click->create item but that doesn't seem to work for this ruleset.

GB

MadBeardMan
May 24th, 2018, 19:32
Is it possible to add your own weapons and armor to the ruleset? It used to be you could right click->create item but that doesn't seem to work for this ruleset.

GB

I'm seeing an issue with adding careers. When adding a career, the new career box pops up, however, I can't type anything into the title, nor any text into the text portion. In addition, there is some garbled text there. Any idea of why this is?

Evening All,

Been busy with work, parents evenings, stroppy kid, a child away on residential, cricket and erm coding.

Careers are on the todo list, when I get around to these you'll be able to add them in and more, I'm hoping to get onto it in the next update as you've raised it.

Equipment, Weapons etc are the item I'm working on now for v1.0.6. I hoped to finish it last night, but I've not, I'll get back onto it over the weekend.

Cheers
MBM

GunbunnyFuFu
May 24th, 2018, 19:40
I know how RL can be. Thanks for your work in this ruleset...enjoying Traveller once again!

Thanks MBM!

GB

superteddy57
May 25th, 2018, 09:46
GunbunnyFuFu, how comfortable are you with working with the XML? You can add the blank careers and export the module. Open up the module with a zip program like 7zip and configure by hand the XML and save it. I am thinking of doing a Traveller Asset template module like the DnD 5e one to help in the mean time for module creation. I was able to come out with some templates to show the data correctly with the module. Mostly Careers and Items and leaving the rest for what changes are coming for NPCs and Worlds. I'm actually halfway through the Black Books and about to jump into the Supplements. Will certainly be getting my 2300 books done as well. Have a few solo campaigns I'm wanting to finish. If you have questions, I can try and help. I prefer making my modules with straight XML instead of in Fantasy Grounds.

GunbunnyFuFu
May 25th, 2018, 10:26
Superteddy,

I'm very comfortable with XML, having worked with it extensively as a Community Developer. The only issue that I have is that the module resides in the Data Vault in an encrypted format, meaning I can't look at the XML to figure out the data paths and how things were added, the data paths, etc..Otherwise, I'd be hand coding all the careers, skills, weapons, armor, and equipment from the 2300 AD base book into FG.

Thanks,

GB

superteddy57
May 25th, 2018, 11:00
Gotcha, sometimes hard to tell someone's level. Wasn't trying to call it into question. :)

I was able to figure out a few good templates for the things you described. Might see some changes to it once code gets changed, but works well so far. Well some of it I added since I like to have that without pulling up the reference manual my books. It comes out perfect when I check it in Fantasy Grounds. Not sure what I can share here. Am I able to show snippets of module code I use without any direct information to the game? Don't know if the code itself can be shared?

MadBeardMan
May 25th, 2018, 18:03
I know how RL can be. Thanks for your work in this ruleset...enjoying Traveller once again!

Thanks MBM!

GB

GB (ace name btw), thanks for the kind words.

Back from a week of working with Civil Servants (as we call those who work for the Government), they do my head in, sooooo much red tape.

Anyway, taking a break for dinner and then back into the coding chair tonight, reminds me, I need a new coding chair, this one has done me proud for the last 20 years, time for a new one.

Cheers,
MBM

superteddy57
May 27th, 2018, 17:13
One question that I have been mulling over since you mentioned more resources are going into the 2E ruleset and supplements. Will 2E be a separate second purchase as a whole new ruleset or one packaged with 1E when you have it completed?

damned
May 27th, 2018, 23:24
Im 90% sure that 2E will be a completely separate product/purchase.
Like Call of Cthulhu 6E vs 7e.

MadBeardMan
June 1st, 2018, 10:12
Im 90% sure that 2E will be a completely separate product/purchase.
Like Call of Cthulhu 6E vs 7e.

Yes 2E will be a different product as it's pretty much a huge reboot for Mongoose.

Personally I hope it's a reduced purchase for those who own 1E.

Cheers,
MBM

GunbunnyFuFu
June 1st, 2018, 21:13
Question...I'm attempting to add weapons to the base ruleset. I can right click in Items to make a new item (weapon), however, the resulting box isn't a weapon data box, it's just a standard item box.

How do we add weapons that we can drag/drop (IE how can we get our added weapons to look like the box on the right?)

The item box with the newly added weapon is on the left in the picture..the built in weapon box is on the right.

Thanks,

GB

superteddy57
June 2nd, 2018, 01:02
I've been doing that by hand for now with XML GB. Some have been coming out ok and others, well still on the drawing board. I think I've come up with the needed fields for Ranged weapons, Melee weapons, and Grenades. Armour is still eluding me as it fails to show the protection value even though I've placed it in the XML. Still toying with it, but I think it was one of the items being worked on for 1.0.6. The only other weapon type I would like to add is a template for Support weapons as they require more fields. I've worked around it by adding the table to a simple item entry.

Andraax
June 2nd, 2018, 01:06
Err, why don't you just take a similar weapon, drag and drop it back onto the items window, then open and edit your new copy?

Edit: Never mind - just noticed that the copy doesn't contain all the fields.

GunbunnyFuFu
June 2nd, 2018, 04:44
OK..here's a small issue. I can't seem to drag the PC from the Party Sheet to the Combat Tracker..attempting to drag the token of the player on the party sheet just moves around the party sheet box. When dragging the PC directly to the Combat Tracker, their stats are not carried over with them. Neither is armor, it appears.

Andraax
June 2nd, 2018, 05:17
You don't drag PCs from the party sheet to the tracker. You drag them from the portrait bar (upper left) or from the "Characters" window *to* either the CT or the Party Sheet.

damned
June 2nd, 2018, 05:29
Your first item is standard behaviour for all CoreRPG rulesets.

MadBeardMan
June 2nd, 2018, 13:50
Question...I'm attempting to add weapons to the base ruleset. I can right click in Items to make a new item (weapon), however, the resulting box isn't a weapon data box, it's just a standard item box.

How do we add weapons that we can drag/drop (IE how can we get our added weapons to look like the box on the right?)

The item box with the newly added weapon is on the left in the picture..the built in weapon box is on the right.

Thanks,

GB

Hi GB (your forum name makes me think of the Lenore comics, which is a good thing).

The version I just pushed will go into TEST on Tuesday for a week, then be live, the Equipment will respond and update the fields to match the gear type.

Once it's live, I'll post here saying it's live.

Ideas for 1.0.7 though please dear sir!

Cheers,
MBM

notrichman
June 2nd, 2018, 22:15
i have been wanting an excuse to buy a license for fantasy grounds... this weeks sale for FG and the fact that this module for lbb traveller is available made me pull trigger (please note your module is probably the only game related purchase i have made in the past two years that wasn't on sale - killed me inside tbh - THAT is how much i wanted this)... I am off to dive into it!

notrichman
June 2nd, 2018, 22:55
well crap... this is not the traveller i thought it was... i thought this was first edition traveller from 1977. The images used in the store are identical to the real 1E covers, but the rules are not. I had no idea that mongoose was a completely different thing. Live and learn I guess... what is the return policy for fantasy grounds modules?

in a million years it would have never occurred to me that someone (mongoose) would publish a ruleset and call it first edition and have it actually be the 9th edition :)

Trenloe
June 3rd, 2018, 00:31
I had no idea that mongoose was a completely different thing. Live and learn I guess... what is the return policy for fantasy grounds modules?
When I read your previous post just now I thought "Oops, it’s not LBB Traveller!" Anyway, SmiteWorks have a very good return policy. Email [email protected] with details and I’m sure they’ll sport you out.

And welcome to the FG forums!

Just as a FYI - you can pretty much play classic Traveller with Mongoose Traveller - it’s set in the same time period (no rebellion, hard times, virus, etc.) and is fairly close to the original in feel. The main thing being it's more "modern" in terms of a task system (not just a bunch of many different 2d6 rolls that classic Traveller had) and has a more structured combat. There are obviously other differences as well, but you can pretty much pick up any classic Traveller adventure and run it with little/no changes with Mongoose Traveller. Give it a go!

MadBeardMan
June 3rd, 2018, 05:28
i have been wanting an excuse to buy a license for fantasy grounds... this weeks sale for FG and the fact that this module for lbb traveller is available made me pull trigger (please note your module is probably the only game related purchase i have made in the past two years that wasn't on sale - killed me inside tbh - THAT is how much i wanted this)... I am off to dive into it!

Good Morning, and first, thanks for finding the excuse to pick up the license for FG just for this.

Today I start on 1.0.7, just sorting the Spacecraft data first....

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
June 3rd, 2018, 05:33
well crap... this is not the traveller i thought it was... i thought this was first edition traveller from 1977. The images used in the store are identical to the real 1E covers, but the rules are not. I had no idea that mongoose was a completely different thing. Live and learn I guess... what is the return policy for fantasy grounds modules?

in a million years it would have never occurred to me that someone (mongoose) would publish a ruleset and call it first edition and have it actually be the 9th edition :)

Morning again,

This is why I was called 'Mongoose Traveller 1st Editiion', there's a lot of Traveller rules these days, I own Traveller T5 (Far Future Enterprises) as well.

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
June 3rd, 2018, 17:45
TBH, its very close to the original, with a few updated items, why not give it a try?

Andraax
June 3rd, 2018, 17:54
Actually, it's so close, I bet you can play the original rules with this ruleset...

notrichman
June 3rd, 2018, 18:53
thanks trenloe for the support information - i am going to contact support for the refund...

"This is why I was called 'Mongoose Traveller 1st Editiion'"
unfortunately madman, the store doesn't call it this...

In the store it looks like this...
"Traveller 1E Ruleset (Mongoose)"

I think more flags would have went off for me if it actually said "Mongoose Traveller 1E (not the first edition released in 1977)" or something similar.

I still have my start up box from then and the character build process is very different... which pretty much makes this a no go for me and the guys i want to run for.

I don't want to argue about how similar others might feel it is... its not the 1st edition of traveller I was expecting. Good luck with your project.

Andraax
June 3rd, 2018, 21:22
You can make your own characters and just enter the values into the character sheet. There really is no automation for character creation. You *can* run CT with this ruleset.

Not trying to change your mind, just putting out the correct information in case someone else reads this.

Logarus
June 10th, 2018, 18:40
Noticed a problem, when a pc sets a characteristic to 15 or above the DM shows 0 not 3, if you do the same for a NPC it has the correct DM. How can I fix this, I can't just override I have tried to unless I am doing it wrong.

Can you help.

Logarus

MadBeardMan
June 10th, 2018, 18:46
Noticed a problem, when a pc is set to a characteristic to 15 or above the DM shows 0 not 3, if you do the same for a NPC it has the correct DM. How cab I fix this, I can't just override I have tried to unless I am doing it wrong.

Can you help.

Logarus

It's a bug that's been reported, and I've fixed it today. As the mods are auto calculated you can't override. The only workaround is to use a modifier when making dice rolls with that stat, I know this isn't great, or set it to 14 for +2, and remember to add one.

I'll try and finish 1.0.7 as soon as I can so the fix is out there. Soon as I have I'll make a post as normal.

Cheers,
MBM

Jon Petur
November 27th, 2018, 05:42
any new information about Mongoose Traverller (2e) rulesets. or future timing

thank you in advance

esmdev
November 27th, 2018, 14:05
any new information about Mongoose Traverller (2e) rulesets. or future timing

thank you in advance

Not at the moment, but there are some comments from Moon Wizard here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46715-Is-there-a-future-for-this).

MadBeardMan
November 28th, 2018, 07:52
Good Morning All,

Sorry for the lack of news and stuff from me, been in 'broken tooth' hell for too long. It was removed last week, so I'm feeling better, i.e. no one 'kicked' my jaw today.

About '2e' I'll email Mongoose later as I'm waiting for a few things.

But I'll re-read this thread tonight after getting back from work and answer the other questions.

Cheers
MBM

GusRPG
October 23rd, 2021, 06:07
Hi, i just bought the 1e of Traveller to play with the old books ( I also have the FG 2e) , its great to have this version also!

PD: There is a kind of typo in the Reference Manual in Character Creation --> Marines, in the Career Progress table, in the Support Row, it reads in the survival column 'End 5+ Edu' and the advancement column '+7' ; and it should read 'End 5+' and 'Edu +7', respectively.

Just a nit pick, great ruleset!