PDA

View Full Version : Drift Engines and PCU ratings

Octavious
April 15th, 2018, 08:11
Hi,

I think I have this right but asking for some input on drift engines. The rule books states for( PCU ratings of drift engines) the ratings are minimum PCU to operate them . Since the PCU consumption of drift engines are so high I am assuming you can have a drift engine as long as you have a power core that is the same or higher of the drift engine PCU and you don't have to reserve all that PCU for drift engine only..

In other words a medium frame can have a max power core of 300 and a 5 drift engine that is 200. So you can use that 300 for other things, but when you need the drift engine you must shut down 200 PCU of items in order to use it..

That's how I see it as a "minimum pcu demand" for drift engines.. from what I can read I think this is correct ..

any discussion on this is most welcome.. thanx

Blahness98
April 15th, 2018, 14:58
This is also a debate on the Paizo forums. It appears that with the lack of specifics, the debate can go both ways. Granted, I would say as long as the power core was able to produce more than what the drive required, it could be installed. You would just have to cut power to all other systems in order to free up that power. And you couldn't use it in combat as there are rules preventing that use.

Samarex
April 15th, 2018, 16:06
This is also a debate on the Paizo forums. It appears that with the lack of specifics, the debate can go both ways. Granted, I would say as long as the power core was able to produce more than what the drive required, it could be installed. You would just have to cut power to all other systems in order to free up that power. And you couldn't use it in combat as there are rules preventing that use.

Just dont cut Life Support and Coffee Maker and Im good.

Topdecker
April 15th, 2018, 19:48
INTO THE UNKNOWN reads as if the drift engine is necessary to both enter and exit drift space, with the undead crew of the Endless Threnody trapped in drift space until they get the parts necessary to repair their drift drive.

Some systems might require you to have a warp engine engaged to remain in warp travel (Star Trek), but Starfinder's drift engine seems to be more of a phase shift / matter exchange. Hopefully they do a better job of explaining it, but for now, I am going to go with Into the Unknown's approach since it seems to be rather clearly defined there AND that adventure has been recently revised. (I suppose it is also possible that the drive provided propulsion once you are in the drift.)

Octavious
April 15th, 2018, 20:35
Topdecker, right you are about into the unknown.. you need the drift engine to enter and exit the drift at the drift beacons locations .. but after you enter the drift no drift engines are necessary. You use thrusters to navigate the drift once you are in . The Endless Threnody was trapped in the drift because of drift engine failure but they did use thrusters to move off from their original location to set up the ambush.So in essence you only need the drift engine to enter and exit the drift..so you could divert power from the thrusters ( or any other system) to the drift engine if you need the extra PCU to work it since you don't need thrusters to enter or exit the drift. Just hope nothing is waiting for you in there while your engineer fiddles with things to get the power back to all the other systems that was shut down.

thanx everyone for the good info on this subject.. appreciate it . helps me with this project Im doing ..