PDA

View Full Version : Module Exporting - Custom Race (Module Loads, But Record is Empty)

ppostel
April 12th, 2018, 03:03
For the life of my I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

I successfully exported a custom class, but now when I am trying this with a custom race it it is not working.

I drag the links into the export window (race record, associated table records, and feature records). After exporting I restart FG, I go to a different campaign, and load the module. Instead of my custom race showing, it just says "New Race", with the name of my module next to it. When I click the link, it is an empty record. I have looked at the XML and it shows the associated ruleset as 5E, which is what it is supposed to be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 12th, 2018, 04:30
Can you post a ZIP file of the campaign used to create your module, as well as the module you created? We should be able to look at it, and use it to see what is happening.

Regards,
JPG

ppostel
April 13th, 2018, 03:10
Links provided. I was hesitant to do so before because it is the tabaxi entry from Volo's Guide to Monsters. I own the hardcover copy. I just didn't want to give anyone a free resource from Volo's, but I'd like to figure this out in the eventuality I do make my own custom races down the road.

The campaign is Tomb of Annihilation I am building from the hardcover, as I own it as well.

Thanks!

- Paul

Links removed - MW has a copy.

ppostel
April 14th, 2018, 15:35
Hi Moon Wizard,

Just checking into see if there were any updates.

Thanks!

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2018, 19:11
ppostel,

I must have missed the previous post, since I don't remember investigating this further. Can you send me a PM, or send to [email protected]? Please provide the link to the campaign ZIP and module file again, as well as the link to this thread for reference.

Thanks,
JPG

ppostel
April 14th, 2018, 19:22
No worries. I just sent you PM with links for the custom class module, the campaign, and this thread.

Thanks!

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2018, 02:28
Ok, this is an odd one. Using your campaign files, I am able to create the module without issue. However, the example module you sent me only has a partial race record for some reason.

Can you walk me through the exact steps once you open the Export window?

Here are my steps:
* Open export window. (Leave information as is.)
* Open Images campaign list.
* Drag Tabaxi image record link to export list.
* Open Table campaign list.
* Drag Tabaxi Obsessions and Tabaxi Quirks table record links to export list.
* Open Races campaign list.
* Drag Tabaxi race record link to export list.
* Click Export button to create module.

When I create using these steps, I can successfully open the module in another campaign, and create Tabaxi characters.

Thanks,
JPG

ppostel
April 17th, 2018, 18:11
Thanks Moon Wizard. I am at the office but I will compare my steps to yours and see where they differ. I’ll reply tonight after I do so.

Thanks again for the quick turnaround!

- Paul

ppostel
April 18th, 2018, 01:47
Hello Moon Wizard,

I am puzzled. When I follow your steps, FG tells me that the module exported successfully. I restarted FG, and loaded a different campaign. I then loaded the custom module, checked under the 'Races' button and there was no record at all...nothing. I am also puzzled as to why the race record was incomplete. What information was missing?

Perhaps some history will help:

- I typed in the tabaxi info from the Volo's hardcover into FG.
- I had a race from the PHB open and followed the same format, down to the text formatting under the 'Main' tab and putting links for the tabaxi traits under the 'Other' tab, under the 'Traits' heading.
- Once I had all the traits created under the 'Main' tab, I dragged them to the FG desktop (not sure what the proper term is), and then dragged them from the desktop into the 'Main' tab. I wanted it to look just like the race records from the PHB.

Now, when I tried exporting for the very first time. I dragged not only the tabaxi race link into the export window, but also all the tabaxi traits as well. I also dragged the tabaxi image, and the two tabaxi tables (Quirks and Obsessions).

This method worked for the custom class I typed in by hand.

I hope this additional information helps.

Thanks!

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2018, 06:11
I'm going to guess that dragging the racial traits links onto the export window is what caused the partial output. The export window is assuming that you are only dropping top-level record links (race, table, image). But, I'm guessing that it doesn't know how to handle sub-records (such as racial trait correctly), which should be ignored.

Here's a picture of what my export window looks when I'm able to export successfully.

In most cases, people just export all custom records of each type using the checkbox; so this kind of scenario doesn't come up very often.

I'll add a note to my development list to ignore subrecord drops in a future version.

Regards,
JPG

ppostel
April 18th, 2018, 10:17
Hmmm...when I followed your steps, that is exactly what my export window looked like.

I’m still puzzled why my steps worked for my custom class but not for the custom race.

So, if I understand correctly, I should be able to just drag the top-level race record and all of the sub-records should follow along?

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2018, 17:43
Yes, that's correct. If the record is not from one of the primary campaign lists, it shouldn't be dragged to the export window, since the export window may not know how to handle correctly.

Can you send me a link for the latest .MOD export file; where you are only dragging the Tabaxi race record, the 2 table records and the 1 image record to the export window?

Thanks,
JPG

ppostel
April 19th, 2018, 02:32
Sure. I'll do it in a PM.

Thanks!

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2018, 00:06
Ok, I took a look at your latest module that you sent me in PM, and it seems to be working just fine for me. I just dropped in my modules folder, started up my test 5E campaign, loaded the module in the Library Modules section, and everything showed up as expected. I also added the race to a new character via drag and drop, as well as reviewing the data files inside the module. Everything looked fine to me.

Regards,
JPG

ppostel
April 21st, 2018, 16:40
Hey Moon Wizard,

So, this is interesting.

Since you mentioned using a Test 5E I decided to give it a shot.

The custom module worked.

I then loaded up the campaign I originally entered the tabaxi info in, and it worked.

I then tried different campaigns I had already created from past games.

The custom module worked in all but one of them.

Now I’m really puzzled.

It’s working in the campaign I needed it for so all is good there.

Thanks for all of your help. Much appreciated! Your service and responsiveness has been awesome!

Is there any place I can go and give you official, proper recognition?

- Paul

Moon Wizard
April 21st, 2018, 21:08
Not really. I’m one of main developers and one of the owners in the company, as well as whatever hat needs to be worn each day. I appreciate the offer though.

Maybe a good review of FG and community somewhere? :)

Cheers,
JPG