PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat... any value?

Gix
April 11th, 2018, 04:04
I get riding the horse lets you use its move... yay 40. I get horses have some HP...

But they don't scale that I can see, so when I have 100 HP they will still be down at 30 or whatever they are at...less I think.

So where's the great benefit to cavalry. Where's the "its easier to hit unmounted foes in the face so you do more damage" or "you can bowl them over" etc.

Surely Im missing something... because PHB is super light on info.

LordEntrails
April 11th, 2018, 04:57
Nope, I don't think mounted combat is very well detailed. And from what I've read, not particularly useful.

I could be wrong though as I'm not very proficient on the rules for it. But I think MC ends up costing you actions in the end unless you have a feat for it.

Gix
April 11th, 2018, 05:53
The Dragoon subclass from Xanathar...Everything else tends to go in the right direction, though I might forgo advantage on mounted attacks in favor of extra damage.

lostsanityreturned
April 11th, 2018, 19:22
Mounts act separately but under your control, giving you huge movement /mobility options each turn.
Every mount has dash, dodge and disengage on top of their normal movement and separate from your own.

Also warhorses and riding horses move 60ft, with mounted combatant feat they are well worth it. Upgrade to a flying or intelligent/independent mount when viable.

Throw some heavy armour barding on a mount and feel happy. Even happier if a beast speech warlock takes inspiring leader and gives a rousing speech to your horse to keep it happy and alive.

Gix
April 12th, 2018, 04:21
I am reading that the player has to hold an action to attack thereby losing their bonus action (on forums) but I don’t see that in the book

lostsanityreturned
April 12th, 2018, 11:52
I am reading that the player has to hold an action to attack thereby losing their bonus action (on forums) but I don’t see that in the book

It doesn't take any action to control a mount, the only restriction regarding controlling a mount is that you are limited in what actions you can take outside of moving (dash, dodge, disengage)
Controlling the mount has no action attached to it though.

You as a player do not have to hold any actions. A horse may also attack and move of its own free will (the DMs choosing of course) as long as you are not controlling it as a player that round.

epithet
April 13th, 2018, 19:07
The rider and the controlled mount move on the same initiative, so there is no need to hold an action.

Crawford goes into exhaustive detail in this interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99tX6tmc73Q