PDA

View Full Version : d20 Modern / d20 Future

DarkStar
April 20th, 2006, 13:07
I'd like to ask the people accustomed to d20 Modern rules a few questions. First, if I know only D&D, would I need to read another dozen of rulebooks to run a d20 Modern game? From what I see, if you know one d20 game (especially D&D) you pretty know all of them in terms of mechanics. There are different feats, skills and such. I am particularly interested in d20 Future games, I'd like to play (or run) in a sci-fi game set on some spaceship (spacestation), etc. I don't care for a specific campaign setting, I mean the generic d20 Future with a world evolving in my mind. :) I don't have a lot of time and would rather not read new books (unless they are very thin ;) ). I don't have necessarily to care about exact rules, but I'd like to have a chalk rock that I could build my game on.

Doswelk
April 22nd, 2006, 16:48
I'd like to ask the people accustomed to d20 Modern rules a few questions. First, if I know only D&D, would I need to read another dozen of rulebooks to run a d20 Modern game? From what I see, if you know one d20 game (especially D&D) you pretty know all of them in terms of mechanics. There are different feats, skills and such. I am particularly interested in d20 Future games, I'd like to play (or run) in a sci-fi game set on some spaceship (spacestation), etc. I don't care for a specific campaign setting, I mean the generic d20 Future with a world evolving in my mind. :) I don't have a lot of time and would rather not read new books (unless they are very thin ;) ). I don't have necessarily to care about exact rules, but I'd like to have a chalk rock that I could build my game on.

D20 Future is an add-on for D20 modern, so you'd only need those two books, the SRD will give you the mechanics but they are both very good books and also have example campaigns in them.

The rules are very similar it's just a bit easier to kill low level characters in D20 Modern / future than D&D as the Massive Damage threshold is the same as the PCs CON not 50 points.

D20 Modern is all I get to play these days, and I am not complaining.

Kalan
May 17th, 2006, 19:45
D20 Future is an add-on for D20 modern, so you'd only need those two books, the SRD will give you the mechanics but they are both very good books and also have example campaigns in them.

The rules are very similar it's just a bit easier to kill low level characters in D20 Modern / future than D&D as the Massive Damage threshold is the same as the PCs CON not 50 points.

D20 Modern is all I get to play these days, and I am not complaining.

Then again too - its also a lot easier to kill off the monsters in one hit - especially with the access to weapons that deal 2d10 or more damage right out of the box.

Of all the d20 variants out there, I vastly prefer the feel of d20 Modern - and like Doswelk, its all I currently play (well...run anyways)

DarkStar
May 17th, 2006, 20:52

I am using a variant rule for damage treshold in D&D 3.5, which is based on character's Constitution and Hit Dice. No one forces you to use 50 hit points method from the core rulebook. RPGs are so cool, because if you want to change some rules - you can. Wizards often encourage DMs to do that if they feel like doing so - it's your world, it's your game, the rules are yours.

DarkStar
May 29th, 2006, 14:31
In order not to double the threads, I'm attaching my new post here.

I am thinking of running a sci-fi game, and am particularly interested in the following settings:

- starships, space travel, vast universe
- postapocalyptic world, barren planet, radiation, etc.

Could you suggest anything in terms of RPG system I should use for either of the aforementioned gameplay styles?

Oberoten
May 29th, 2006, 15:34
I am using a variant rule for damage treshold in D&D 3.5, which is based on character's Constitution and Hit Dice. No one forces you to use 50 hit points method from the core rulebook. RPGs are so cool, because if you want to change some rules - you can. Wizards often encourage DMs to do that if they feel like doing so - it's your world, it's your game, the rules are yours.

No other hobby lets you decide so much what the "taste" of the game should be.