PDA

View Full Version : Would it be better to have...

Ganadai
April 20th, 2006, 09:57
Would it be better to have a single sticky thread where players looking for a game could post to so that DM's would not have to search through the forums for players? Possibly with an example format such as:

Name:
Days/Times available to play (GMT):
Interested in playing: (Fantasy / Modern / Sci-Fi? Campaign? Low/Mid/High level?)
Preferred Class(es):
Experienced gamer: (Beginner/Novice/Veteran)

Possibly even with a poll, such as the one shown above, on what times are best for people to play so new DM's would know what times most players are available.

Also, is it just me or does there seem to be an abundance of people who want to DM on Fantasy Grounds and not quite as many people who want to play.

Sigurd
April 20th, 2006, 11:07
Speaking only for me, my first reaction is No, and No.

The calendar is a good system. Its far better than one thread to check. People need to use it.

Although it may seem like there are a lot of DMs right now it took me quite a while to find a DM in my timezone with regular times I could commit too. Dont forget players have to work with the time in their work week and timezone to mesh with a DM.

I think these things go in cycles. A month ago there seemed to be no DMs and lots of players.

The community will grow and the games will be easier to find. Players and DMs need to be polite and considerate and they will find games or gamers.

ghedrain
April 21st, 2006, 18:35
I like the calendar however some of the games posted need to be deleted because they didn't get started or they're not running anymore.
It would be nice to see a list of players that are looking for a game and what times they can play. Sort of like an address book or something.

Ganadai
April 22nd, 2006, 00:04
I like the calendar however some of the games posted need to be deleted because they didn't get started or they're not running anymore.
It would be nice to see a list of players that are looking for a game and what times they can play. Sort of like an address book or something.

my sentiments exactly.

Cypher
April 22nd, 2006, 00:28
The Calendar is definately a great idea, but the DM needs to be the moderator of the thread. They should have the ability to delete the campaign when they have either finished it or cancel it.

It also needs more than one page for discussion. Older (not necessarily old either) messages get pushed off the bottom of the page. Without the ability to have a multi-page discussion you need to save any important posts to a GM Announcement.

Hopefully they can continue development of this fine tool, and it will become truly useful.

DarkStar
April 22nd, 2006, 09:02
I would say, once 1.06 is out, devs should work on the website, especially various 'helper tools' related to running campaigns.

ghedrain
April 22nd, 2006, 15:55
I would like the option to change the web page colors, the white background kills my eyes.

Spyke
April 23rd, 2006, 06:27
I'm pretty good at these things usually, but trying to translate my Tokyo availability to this is doing my head in! I keep getting distracted by the text labels, which only apply if you're close to the GMT timezone.

Also there seem to be two options missing: GMT Sat morning 6am to noon, and GMT Sunday night midnight to 6am. '12 PM' is also being used to mean both noon and midnight, which is a bit confusing.

To work for Asia Pacific players the days of the week need to be specified, as late Friday night in the UK is a very attractive Saturday morning in Japan, but Thursday night/Friday morning isn't so useful.

I'd actually be really interested in the results of this poll, hence my being a bit picky here.

Spyke