PDA

View Full Version : Defense Roll

thwright
April 7th, 2018, 05:33
For the D&D 5E ruleset, what would an effect look like to switch Armor Class from a flat 10 to having to roll a d20? (Opposing Attack vs Defense Roll)

I have tried an effect of the following, but I am not seeing the change; I add the combatant to the combat tracker, apply the effect, and have a monster attack him, but I can't seem to apply it.

Defense Roll; AC: 1d20 -10; [SELF]

I see the following applied in the chat log.

Defense Roll; AC: -10; [SELF]

Can an AC effect receive a die roll in benefit? Is something wrong in the trait?

Additionally, as I have only recently picked up FG, is the best way to prepare a bunch of character effects to create a Template Character and drag-and-drop them to new characters (or import the template), or is there a better place to store them?

LordEntrails
April 7th, 2018, 05:51
Hey thwright, welcome to the forums.

I'm pretty sure their is no way to make AC a variable. Have you looked at the effects wiki page? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

But if I'm wrong about this, one of our effects guru's will be along shortly with a different answer or some other creative alternate.

thwright
April 7th, 2018, 06:01
Thank you!

Just found it, actually.

AC (N) [range], opportunity (T); Armor class

(N) = Only numbers supported for value attribute

Seems I may have to think of something different for my homebrew then ;)

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2018, 08:47
Indeed AC will not accept dice strings. If all that you want to do is roll a d20 then just roll one into the chat box and compare it to the NPCs roll. If you need modifiers then maybe your best bet would be to create a skill for it. Combat would still need to largely be a manual thing though since FG doesn’t automate opposed skill rolls.

damned
April 7th, 2018, 10:22
Create a Custom Dice that rolls

<customdie name="d920">
<model>d20</model>
<menuicon>num20</menuicon>
<script>
function onValue(result)
return math.random(20)-10;
end
</script>
</customdie>

Each time the character is to be attacked they would roll the custom dice and the GM would drag the result to the modifier window and then roll the NPC attack.

thwright
April 7th, 2018, 13:29
I'll give it a go and see how it works out! Thanks!

Would the custom die need to be an extension?

damned
April 7th, 2018, 13:35
I'll give it a go and see how it works out! Thanks!

Would the custom die need to be an extension?

Yes.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2018, 14:13
If you're going to roll 1d20-10 then just type /die 1d20-10 in the chat window and drag to a hotkey slot. Then you can roll easily from the hotkey. No custom dice, no extensions.

damned
April 7th, 2018, 14:36
If you're going to roll 1d20-10 then just type /die 1d20-10 in the chat window and drag to a hotkey slot. Then you can roll easily from the hotkey. No custom dice, no extensions.

I was thinking, and thinking, and thinking... and I knew there was going to be an easier way than a custom die!
Addled and punch drunk!
Thats my excuse and Im sticking to it.

thwright
April 7th, 2018, 14:44

I realized that one after I fiddled around with the extension for a bit. :P

I suppose it will have to do!