PDA

View Full Version : How to set up the visual sense on map

Giulymani
April 6th, 2018, 18:20
Hello guys,

I'm quite struggling with a little problem during combats in FG. Basically, I'd like to know whether PCs can explore maps using their senses (visual sense). Basically I'd like to set up that as they walk they can explore hidden parts of the map, without GM has to highlight that part of the map a PC finds out.

How can it be set up?

Thanks in advance.

Giuly :)

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2018, 18:25
That capability is typically called Dynamic Line of Sight. FG does not have Dynamic Line of Sight. The GM has to manually remove the mask image as they wish to reveal parts of the map to the party they wish to reveal.

One concern with dynamic line of sight is players moving their tokens and moving them back or "changing their minds" after they have learned or uncovered what is in some room/area.

Giulymani
April 6th, 2018, 18:29
Thanks a lot :)

One concern with dynamic line of sight is players moving their tokens and moving them back or "changing their minds" after they have learned or uncovered what is in some room/area.

So they are able to cheat up if the want? :D

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2018, 18:55
So they are able to cheat up if the want? :D
It depends on how DLoS works. Can the player just move their token and have the map revealed? Or do they have to have their move approved by the GM? And does it reveal the map for all characters or just certain characters? How about different types of vision?

And then think about rule implications, if you implement DLoS with a pure mathematical model, that doesn't match the assumptions of the rule system (for instance in most fantasy systems, a player knows where a creature is on the map even though their character may not be able to see it (hidden, obscured, etc). Not that these things can't be addressed with DLoS, but I'm just pointing out that their are drawbacks to it depending upon how you play.

Do note, FG is currently being re-written to a new engine (Unity) typically called FGU for now. It will (probably) have DLoS. You can search the forums here for "Unity" and/or "FGU" and get more discussion on it as well as proof of concept videos etc.

seycyrus
April 6th, 2018, 22:55
I also think that FGU will include DLoS,

but just to get it off my chest to everyone who pushes it so hard.

It ruins immersion and is unrealistic.

When you wander in a cave, you don't have a top-down understanding of how everything connects and scales. What about the chance of getting lost? I highly doubt that even the most RP of players will intentionally have their characters take the wrong turn, instead of just automatically knowing which way they want to go.

damned
April 7th, 2018, 00:13

but just to get it off my chest to everyone who pushes it so hard.

When you wander in a cave, you don't have a top-down understanding of how everything connects and scales. What about the chance of getting lost? I highly doubt that even the most RP of players will intentionally have their characters take the wrong turn, instead of just automatically knowing which way they want to go.

I think at some point we are likely to see some sort of 3d options available...
But only when they are well and truly ready...

Gix
April 9th, 2018, 17:21

I agree. Rewrite FGU as a first person only interface :P

seycyrus
April 9th, 2018, 22:13
I agree. Rewrite FGU as a first person only interface :P

Yeah, I know...it's all relative.

It's just that I fear players marching their tokens across the entire map, back and forth, so that their line-of-sight exposes EVERY last square inch of the map. Rinse-and-repeat for each map I show. One step closer to being the computer.

LordEntrails
April 10th, 2018, 00:18
Yeah, I know...it's all relative.

It's just that I fear players marching their tokens across the entire map, back and forth, so that their line-of-sight exposes EVERY last square inch of the map. Rinse-and-repeat for each map I show. One step closer to being the computer.
Metagaming like this will be quickly apparent, and can quickly be handled with numerous techniques. And then you can always lock token movement.