PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to just watch a game?

Ganadai
April 19th, 2006, 13:58
I just got FG a few days ago and was wondering if it is possible to join and just watch a game. If it is possible, would anyone with a game scheduled before Saturday 4/22 mind me joining to watch for awhile? Just PM me with the unique alias. Thanks.

kalmarjan
April 19th, 2006, 15:45
LOL

Would that be before my game?

If you would like, tonight we could hook up, if you are cool with an 11:30 EST timeframe. I can go through some of the stuff with you.

Sandeman

Ganadai
April 19th, 2006, 17:28
LOL
Would that be before my game?

:) Yes, but not because of your game.

If you would like, tonight we could hook up, if you are cool with an 11:30 EST timeframe. I can go through some of the stuff with you.

Naw, I have the FG interface down. I'm more interested in seeing how the players and DM interact online vs. in a home game, how the DM uses the FG tools, how FG is percieved by the players vs. the DM's view, and just basically learn little tricks from people to make the game run smother. I've read quite a bit in the forums, but would like to actually see it first hand before I run my own game. Thank you though. :) Just anxious to actually see it in action.

tfelts
April 19th, 2006, 18:38
Ganadai,

If you decide to have Sandeman connect tonight I might be able to swing it also and we could run a short roleplay followed by short combat sequence...As far as how it compares to a home game....I would say very similar. I've only played one FG session (it happened to be with Sandeman) and I would say I enjoy it more so than face to face for a variety of reasons:

1) I'm a very 'quiet' person and face to face rarely interact 'in character', FG makes it so much easier!!
2) You can see everyones responses on screen and nothing gets lost...if someone says something it is there!
3) People seem to stay more focused to the game and not an tangents!!
4) From a player POV the DM can assume many different roles and its not visible as being only ONE person

I'm looking forward to Saturday Night!!!

Later,
Tim

Cypher
April 19th, 2006, 18:39
Naw, I have the FG interface down. I'm more interested in seeing how the players and DM interact online vs. in a home game, how the DM uses the FG tools, how FG is percieved by the players vs. the DM's view, and just basically learn little tricks from people to make the game run smother. I've read quite a bit in the forums, but would like to actually see it first hand before I run my own game. Thank you though. :) Just anxious to actually see it in action.

Nothing beats experience.

You're going to have to find what ideas work for your game to achieve the style you're looking for.

I prefer a game where the pace is quite high so I use tricks to speed up the mechanical parts of play. Other people seem to like a much slower paced game so they don't care if certain aspects are run slowly, so they don't care about the methods I use.

I know it's a bit of a cliche'd answer, but a lot of "how the game is played" comes down to the DM's personal style (hopefully modified somewhat to accomodate the styles of the players).