PDA

View Full Version : Before I Purchase I want to make sure I understand

DwightLee
April 4th, 2018, 13:29
If I subscribe to the "Ultimate Licence" my players will only need the free demo module.

Does that mean that all campaign material I purchase is also usable by them? Are their character sheets and the games I DM saved on my campaign. is there is disadvantage for them if they are only Players and not DMing yet?

When they create characters in my campaign will they use the modules I have even though I am the only one that owns the module?

Thanks in advance for any information

Andraax
April 4th, 2018, 13:47
While your players are connected to your server, they will be able to use your purchased content. Without their own license, they will not be able to use any content they have purchased themselves, nor host a game, only play.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2018, 13:47
Welcome to the forums!

If I subscribe to the "Ultimate Licence" my players will only need the free demo module.
Yes.

Does that mean that all campaign material I purchase is also usable by them? Are their character sheets and the games I DM saved on my campaign. is there is disadvantage for them if they are only Players and not DMing yet?
Yes (see below) and yes. The only thing as a player in your game, is that they can't purchase their own material to use offline in character creation.

When they create characters in my campaign will they use the modules I have even though I am the only one that owns the module?
You select with modules to share with the players and they have access to them when they are logged into your campaign. You shouldn't share every single thing with them - it's too much, but you should share the player specific modules and then share individual records (maps, items, story, etc.) as the campaign requires.

DwightLee
April 4th, 2018, 13:52
Thank you guys, some of my potential players are like "The Croods" they will be averse to anything new.

I wanted to be able to try this without their having to purchase anything.

I personally wanted a digital version of the core books, and thought Fantasy Grounds I can do that. :) I dont want to purchase them twice. My old D&D books are 2 generations old

damned
April 4th, 2018, 14:25
Thank you guys, some of my potential players are like "The Croods" they will be averse to anything new.

I wanted to be able to try this without their having to purchase anything.

I personally wanted a digital version of the core books, and thought Fantasy Grounds I can do that. :) I dont want to purchase them twice. My old D&D books are 2 generations old

Hopefully you and the next generation will be playing on Fantasy Grounds for long years to come :)

DwightLee
April 4th, 2018, 14:36
Hopefully you and the next generation will be playing on Fantasy Grounds for long years to come :)

That is what I am trying to find out. I was going to just purchase the ultimate licence outright ( and I still might ) but for now going with a subscription ( purchased 15 min ago ) to see how this goes.

I suspect I will be spending the next few weeks studying You tube videos on how to use this system before I invite my brother in for a tiny test game

But what the heck, I am retired, and can afford the time :)

I remember D&D as a supplement to the miniatures rules called Chainmail... my first full set was a white box with beige pamphlets ( I bet those are burred deep somewhere in the garage ) but it has been so long now I might as well be a RP Virgin

Trenloe
April 4th, 2018, 14:40
Join a game at the upcoming FG Con 12. Get to see how to play in FG hands-on and meet some fellow gamers!

(Link in my signature).

GunnarGreybeard
April 4th, 2018, 14:56
I remember D&D as a supplement to the miniatures rules called Chainmail... my first full set was a white box with beige pamphlets ( I bet those are burred deep somewhere in the garage ) but it has been so long now I might as well be a RP Virgin
You will probably find yourself in familiar company around here. Many of us go back to AD&D 1e and earlier.

DwightLee
April 4th, 2018, 15:07
That is good news, I dont want to be the only old guy here... Im 62

I have had the licence for less than an hour now and I am already impressed with the tutorial screens I just found in the sample game given, going though it page by page, just learned how to put percentile dice in a hotkey ( I like that )

I am starting from scratch here... but enjoying learning it

dulux-oz
April 4th, 2018, 15:14
I am starting from scratch here... but enjoying learning it

It might be (actually will be) worth your while to check out some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube) - if you haven't done so already. Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

DwightLee
April 4th, 2018, 15:22
It might be (actually will be) worth your while to check out some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube) - if you haven't done so already. Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless™ Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

I will be doing that, thank you, I was hoping I could add sound, occasional music and such at some point. I did notice I can access videos from the app itself. and I have already seen a few on YouTube before I purchased it.

I will look at the core of course, but end the end all my potential players will be interested in D&D 5th Edition

So far I really like what I see here, having a blast learning the very basic stuff

my own players are very familiar with Discord so that will probably be the voice system we use.

My plan is to learn for a while, put my brother thought the sample dungeon and then probably purchase all the 5E primary books and then for my first game purchase a product was looking at Tomb of Animation as a starting point perhaps, unless someone has a better suggestion

Bidmaron
April 4th, 2018, 18:11
You mentioned you wanted PDFs. You won’t get those with 5e. You might consider Pathfinder. It is 3.5 edition on steroids and you get free pdf with any purchases. I grew up with chain mail also but had to abandon WotC after the 4th edition fiasco (fairly common opinion but not universal).