PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with wordin on custom feat for Natural AC

Varatta
April 4th, 2018, 12:32
Okay so I'm doing a custom racial feat for a race that can get a Natural AC bonus. I've looked at the wording for the Dragonborn racial feat (Xanathar's) and tried to imitate it but the character sheet isn't picking it up. The Dragonborn feat from Xanathar's includes bullet points which I haven't been able to recreate in my own entry, but I suspect that shouldn't be an issue as I thought the program looks for certain wording. The DB feat also has a bunch of other effects that I don't need. I also can't copy the Xanathar's text via copy/paste as it is read only =P. So I'm trying to type it exactly as is and it looks like it should be right ... still no dice.

Any tips? Has anyone found other sets of wording to allow for a feat to give a natural AC bonus?

Any tips are helpful. Thanks gang!

Varatta
April 4th, 2018, 12:33
Here is the text I'm using:

"While you aren't wearing armor, you can calculate your AC as 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit."

JohnD
April 4th, 2018, 14:32
An effect doesn't change the entries on your character sheet. It is applied by the combat tracker (assuming you've added it to your pc) when an attack is made.

For something like this, maybe just change your base AC on the PC to 13.

Zacchaeus
April 4th, 2018, 15:56
My experiments on this reveal that the feat will only work as expected if the name of the feat isn't changed. I suspect that the name is hard coded into the program rather than the parser looking for any specific language

Firstly you can make a copy of the feat by dragging it and dropping it back onto the feats window. You will now be able to edit the copy after you click the lock icon. As long as you don't change the name of the feat and of course the bit about the AC then it should work.

You get the bullet points by right clicking over the text and selecting paragraph type and then list.

Trenloe
April 4th, 2018, 16:07
I suspect that the name is hard coded into the program rather than the parser looking for any specific language
Yep, the 5E ruleset is coded to look for a class feature name of "draconic resilience".

Varatta
April 4th, 2018, 22:11
Okay, thanks all. Too bad about the feat name coding - wonder why that's different than other text-base coding (like with racial traits, etc). Maybe I don't understand this well enough yet. Either way it's disappointingly limiting. Anyway, to @JohnD's comment - how do we change base AC manually? I've not had any luck clicking in the base AC in the CS or the expanded view. I worry that if I use other AC modifier spots in the expanded AC section (like misc) then it may negate something (an item or whatever) that the PC gets later.

Zacchaeus
April 4th, 2018, 22:53
No, you can safely use the misc modifier.

Additional functionality was added for feats in the last patch. Certain feats not actually do things when dragged and dropped into the abilities tab. As far as I am aware there is no wording which will automatically parse out natural armour. All of such things (like the Barbarian and Monk) are specifically hard coded since they are exceptions to the normal AC calculations that FG does when armour/shields etc are dropped into the PC.

Varatta
April 5th, 2018, 03:15
Thanks @Zacchaeus!

esmdev
May 5th, 2018, 22:14
Is there a list somewhere of all the possible options for setting up various traits? Or the keywords and expected format? I've been looking for a bit now with no success.

LordEntrails
May 5th, 2018, 22:28
Is there a list somewhere of all the possible options for setting up various traits? Or the keywords and expected format? I've been looking for a bit now with no success.
No. The best solution we currently have is to copy the text from an existing 'official' source that works and then modify from there.

esmdev
May 5th, 2018, 22:30
No. The best solution we currently have is to copy the text from an existing 'official' source that works and then modify from there.
That explains why I can't find one.

Thanks for the info and quick reply! :)

Zacchaeus
May 5th, 2018, 22:35
There’s a couple of videos linked in this sticky for character, race and backgrounds which partly cover the wording used for some common traits and abilities.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

The best way to figure things out is to lion at existing traits and abilities. Drag them into the actions tab to see what happens.