PDA

View Full Version : PayPal Phishers

Toadwart
April 19th, 2006, 07:04
Just for anyone who has a paypal acct. There are some bogus PayPal emails floating around lately.
If ya get one just forward it to [email protected] ([email protected]) then delete it.
As they say on their website. They won't send you links in an email, only ever log in by going to www.paypal.com (https://www.paypal.com/) directly and logging in from there...

Wavestone
April 19th, 2006, 21:19
Yes, very irritating. Its easy to see that the links doesnt go to paypal (paipal.com, or paypaal.com anyone?). Hopefully no one falls for it.. :)

Emongnome
April 20th, 2006, 17:43
Sadly, people do fall for it. I've gotten emails from my "bank" telling me to click on the link to check my account to make sure everything was ok. If it never worked, people wouldn't send out those scam emails. It's like all the spam out there: If people never clicked on their links and bought anything, it would go away. I just can't understand how you can get an email titled "Earnest it's robinson" (real example) offering "Vi@@ grA" at discount prices with a string of meaningless words at the bottom and consider it a legitmate consumer opportunity. "Well, that's the last time I buy beach-front property in Arizona!"

Honestly, though, no company (bank, credit card, online store) will send you an email like that. All non-online businesses will send you snail-mail if there are issues, never emails (probably the online ones as well, I don't know). I don't think banks and credit card companies actually keep people's email addresses, but I may be wrong. In any event, if you get an email like that from a company you make financial transactions with, call them or log onto their website manually to check it out. It never hurts to report these kinds of things as well. If you don't report it, it's harder for the authorities to do anything about it.

Emongnome

*Edit: Added second paragraph.