PDA

View Full Version : Automatically calculating max hit points

negwe
April 2nd, 2018, 21:04
Hello there,
I'm not sure i'm posting in the right place but i need some help.

Here is the thing, i create a PC and choose a class.
The Max HP is calculated correctly, but if i change the CON value, it doesn't adjust the Max HP.

Is it a bug or the feature is note included with the SRD DD5E ?

I checked also the Health Cals - Test and add a modifier in the "Misc" box.
Apparently the bonus doesn't apply.

Can someone help me?

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2018, 22:59
Welcome to the forums negwe :)

I wouldn't call it a bug or a feature, it's just the way FG works. The character sheet is not fully interactive. Basically, when you add something to the sheet, it adds most everything for that moment in time. i.e. your hit points example, it adds the hit points max that are valid at that point in time. But, if you change something like Con, it doesn't go back and change the HP max. This is like if you add a class or level, when you remove that class or level, FG does not go back and remove all the traits, actions, and other modifications that were made to the character sheet.

For those people that like to play "what if" with their characters, it is usually better to use something like Hero Labs or PC Gen as those (I believe) are designed to not just add classes and level, but to remove them as well. Something FG has never tried to do.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2018, 23:00
Oh, there are several sources around (I think one of the stickied posts in the 5E forum) has a recommendation of the order in which characters should be created.

damned
April 3rd, 2018, 04:44
Roll your stats, choose your background, choose your race, choose your class....

negwe
April 3rd, 2018, 06:55
Thanks guys, for making this point clear.
BTW the other features are really nice.

damned
April 3rd, 2018, 11:21
Thanks guys, for making this point clear.
BTW the other features are really nice.

Hah - you will enjoy it once you get a little practice with it.

Make sure you always frag NPCs and PCs to the Combat Tracker and from the Combat Tracker to the map.
If your targeting and damage rolls arent doing their magic its most likely because of above. Always do the above.

Have fun!

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2018, 17:02
drag, not all games have frags!

Stormhound
April 5th, 2018, 00:58
I'm usually up for fragging a PC or two. But dragging is no fun, I'd much rather have them go running there of their own volition, all unwitting of the chaos to be unleashed upon them... ;)

damned
April 5th, 2018, 03:36
my typing skills seem to deteriorate on a daily basis...

darrellia
June 16th, 2018, 09:41
Hello actually what negwe is saying is a bug. In 5e "If your Constitution modifier changes, your hit point maximum changes as well, as though you had the new modifier from 1st level."

Am I answering to the correct part or should I just post in a bug section?

Zacchaeus
June 16th, 2018, 10:51
Hello actually what negwe is saying is a bug. In 5e "If your Constitution modifier changes, your hit point maximum changes as well, as though you had the new modifier from 1st level."

Am I answering to the correct part or should I just post in a bug section?

Hi darrellia, welcome to FG.

As explained above this isn't a bug. It is the way FG works. Fantasy Grounds is not a character creator such as HeroLabs or PCGen; so it doesn't 'remember' things like what you have added and it isn't reactive to things like changing CON. So whilst the rules for 5e state that your HP changes if your CON changes FG doesn't react to changes in CON (at least as far as recalculating hit points is concerned). The reason for this is that if it did then for those people that use different methods for calculating hit points FG would continually be resetting it. So HP are left fully editable to cover all the possibilities.

So, if your CON changes you'll need to manually recompute your max HP. HP are only calculated when you level up, based on what your CON is at the point of levelling up.