PDA

View Full Version : Please Sell Me on FG

M0rB1d
April 2nd, 2018, 03:26
Hello, I have been eyeing FG for the last few months, To both use to DM for at home, and to be able to play more.

My only reservation is I have no idea how easy it is to find a group I could join? and was hoping you could let me know your experience with FG.

dulux-oz
April 2nd, 2018, 03:39
Hi M0eB1d, and Welcome! to the Community,

It depends upon the game you want to play and whether you are the GM or a Player.

As a GM, you pretty much have very little trouble no matter what system you play - obviously, the more popular the system (ie DnD 5th Ed, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder/Starfinder) the easier it is, but even for more obscure games I've had little trouble finding Players.

As a Player, it might take a while, again, depending upon which system you want to play. If you stick with the most popular systems then you'll have a lot of competition for a slot in a game. If you branch out and consider some more "rarer" systems then there are less Players looking for a slot and so you may be more likely to find something.

It also depends upon where you live (ie what Time Zone you are in) and which days/hours you are available to play. The more flexible you are in this regard the easier it will be to find a game. As an example, I run a game in Australia (at 05:00 UTC) and I'vre got a couple of giuys from the USA who enjoy the game so much they are willing to play from around 10pm to 2am Saturday night (their local time).

Anyway, jump in with the Demo License and play some games for free (including the upcoming FG-Con - someone else will give you the rundown on that) and see how you go.

Good luck

Cheers

damned
April 2nd, 2018, 05:09
Its always easier to find players than it is to find a GM.
There are always many more players than GMs.
Ive never had difficulty finding a game but its part persistence and part luck.
Be active on the forums and apply for games that fit your availability.
Try one shots and Con games (see my signature) because people always prefer to play with people they know and like.
So playing one shots and con games and even playing games that may not be your perfect genre/system but fit your availability widens the pool of people you know and who may extend further invitations to you.
Popping in on a forum and announcing you are here and you want to play might work for you... but most likely the players that actively respond to advertising GMs will get the spot(s).

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2018, 19:05
Jump in on something on FG-Con, you can do that with the demo license so you won't need to spend any money :)

Also, when you do decide to go in, SmiteWorks does a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can always try it out without risk. And, though I'm a proponent of the one-time license, their are also subscription licenses you can go with too.

Though their were lots of reasons I chose FG a few years back, the three primary reasons (which are still imo valid) were;
- I play 5E DnD, FG has all the official products so I only buy them on FG.
- GM prep time, prep time as a GM on FG is reported by many to be much less on FG than other platforms.
- This community, exceptionally friendly, active, and helpful.