PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwarding (1802) Not Working

DanTehViking
March 31st, 2018, 03:26
I have been attempting to forward the 1802 ports on my router, but it hasn't been working and the error it returns is useless. I am wondering if anyone could possible help me:

Router Information
Router Provider: Motorola
Router Web Service: ARRIS

Has the option to port forward under the advanced options, but only the option to forward by using IPv6 (which is partly problematic). I can filter by port IPv4, but not actually forward those ports under the options. (If someone has this same service and knows away around this that would be helpful.

Forwarding Menu
The forwarding advanced menu has the following base layout:
External IP: ::
Internal IP: ::
Port Start:
Port End: [blank]
Description: [blank]
Protocol: TCP/UDP/Both
Enabled: No/Yes

When going through these options I have placed my WiFi's IPv6 IP address, as noted by ipconfig in cmd, and 0:0:0:0:0:0:0 for external and then 1802 in both port options and enabled both protocols. Meaning it looks like:
External IP: IPv6
Internal IP: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0
Port Start: 1802
Port End: 1802
Description: FG Server
Protocol: Both
Enabled: Yes

[B]Result
When I enter this in the router returns an error of just "Oops" refresh the page or press back. That is it and nothing else comes up and as far as I can tell there is nothing else I can do.

Alternative Runs

I have also attempted using the base router IP for both IPv4 and IPv6 and when using IPv4 I have attempted the FG External IP, but all these result in the same failure as above.
Currently the IP is set to dynamic protocol
Have run all IPs with ":" before and after as it appears in the default state
I locked the IPv4 and tried that, but it still failed
I tried locking the IPv6, but it fails to acknowledge the gateway I enter, despite being copied from "ipconfig /all" in the console.

Help
I am trying to run a game, but this is proving difficult and the ports just aren't forwarding. Does anyone else have any advice, aid or help they can give to trying to fix this problem.

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2018, 04:20
So I have a Arris router from my cable company as well.

The port forwarding you want to setup is found: Firewall > Virtual Servers

It should look something like the attached image, except your internal IP number is different.

Note that you can not use IPv6 with FG. You must use a IPv4 address.

davywsr
March 31st, 2018, 04:21
Not familiar with your router and IPv6 port forwarding, but I guess some general rules about port forwarding may help.

"External IP" means where the traffic is coming from, so you should leave it blank or enter 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 (as 0.0.0.0 for IPv4), which means "the whole Internet", in other words, this rule applies to all incoming traffic.
"Internal IP" should be the LAN IP address of the computer running FG, as you have seen with ipconfig.

davywsr
March 31st, 2018, 04:29

It should look something like the attached image, except your internal IP number is different.

There's not support for IPv6?

A bit disappointed to hear that. I have voted that on the community wish list just now, hope it come out soon.

BTW, I clicked the attachment and it says "Invalid Attachment specified".

EDIT: Attachment is fine now.

LordEntrails
March 31st, 2018, 04:56
Yea, no IPv6 yet. You can search on the forums here for "Unity" and you will find a lot of posts and discussion about the upcoming version of FG that will be on the Unity platform. It will have new networking, including IPv6 and no need for port forwarding. But, their is no time frame for it, other than to say a date probably won't be set until 3 months prior to the release.

If your ISP is congregating or forcing you to use IPv6, their are a couple of ways to work around it, just let us know if needed.

davywsr
March 31st, 2018, 05:00
Just saw the Twitch video you posted in another thread, that looks truly awesome!

Hope to see FGU soon.:)

damned
March 31st, 2018, 13:42
Yea, no IPv6 yet. You can search on the forums here for "Unity" and you will find a lot of posts and discussion about the upcoming version of FG that will be on the Unity platform. It will have new networking, including IPv6 and no need for port forwarding. But, their is no time frame for it, other than to say a date probably won't be set until 3 months prior to the release.

If your ISP is congregating or forcing you to use IPv6, their are a couple of ways to work around it, just let us know if needed.

Im not sure there will be IPv6 support in FGU. 97% or some such similar volume of internet traffic is IPv4.

jasonthelamb
March 31st, 2018, 15:43
Im not sure there will be IPv6 support in FGU. 97% or some such similar volume of internet traffic is IPv4.

Except the concept of FGU should be future-proofing, and it is very clear that IPv6 is the future. Would be a shame if FGU didn't include IPv6 support going forward.

damned
April 1st, 2018, 01:11
Except the concept of FGU should be future-proofing, and it is very clear that IPv6 is the future. Would be a shame if FGU didn't include IPv6 support going forward.

The engine has IPv6 support.
Im sure there will be many things in FGU that are added later on and if IPv6 is not supported today Im sure it will be once other things are done.
Right now all computers can talk on IPv4 but most computers cannot yet talk on IPv6.

This is pure speculation on my behalf.

I think the big networking upgrades are likely to be concentrating on efficiency and having some sort of brokered connection mode so that Port Forwarding is not required.

LordEntrails
April 1st, 2018, 03:25
I think the big networking upgrades are likely to be concentrating on efficiency and having some sort of brokered connection mode so that Port Forwarding is not required.
This is effectively what Doug said on FG Friday yesterday, that networking was going to be changed so that port forwarding was not required. I don't know enough to know what the options are, but a brokered connection sounds reasonable :)

DanTehViking
April 2nd, 2018, 22:12

So I attempted to locate the Firewall > Virtual Servers setup/drop down, but it isn't there. Only Paternal Controls, Logs (remote and local) and Protection Level are available. The only place where Forwarding exists, for me, is under the advanced settings and then it auto selects IPv6 without an option for IPv4. If I can't find a solution I may have to use a VPN service for myself, and all my players, so we can circumvent this issue.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2018, 22:51
I guess a different version of the router software :( You might try calling tech support for your cable company and seeing if they can help you. I've had a few issues and once I get to tier 2 support they are pretty helpful.

DanTehViking
April 4th, 2018, 22:55
Part of the issue for that is the router and internet service isn't actually mine, but my roommates, and they don't know that much about this sort of thing. As such it may be simpler, for this coming session, to just use a VPN and avoid this issue entirely. With that in mind are there any good free easy to use VPN services that I can use to host around 7~8 people (including myself)?

Trenloe
April 4th, 2018, 23:09
With that in mind are there any good free easy to use VPN services that I can use to host around 7~8 people (including myself)?
We do not know of any free VPN services that only the GM would need to setup.

But, you can use Hamachi - but everyone needs to install it and the GM will need to create 2 networks to allow 8 people to connect. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi

Andraax
April 5th, 2018, 04:07
Some routers will let you setup a VPN on the router (so all your players would appear to be on your home network).

damned
April 5th, 2018, 05:54
Some routers will let you setup a VPN on the router (so all your players would appear to be on your home network).

You would need the public IP address to be accessible from outside. If you could do that then the Port Forward would also work.

Andraax
April 5th, 2018, 13:19
You would need the public IP address to be accessible from outside. If you could do that then the Port Forward would also work.

Some ISPs might forward the well-known ports for VPN when they won't forward an arbitrary port. Though I guess in that case you could run FG on that port instead...

Myrdin Potter
April 5th, 2018, 17:16
Can you provide the Arris model number and the cable internet carrier you use?