PDA

View Full Version : Random Quantities in a Parcel

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2018, 07:57
I'd like to put a random quantity of items in a parcel. Something like 1d4 potions of oil.

I know I can do this with a table and have it generate a parcel, but is their a better solution?

What do people consider best practice for something like this in a module? Seems... easier to just make a parcel (linked int he story entry) with a quantity of 1 and in the text state the amount than to create a table with a random amount and have the DM have to create the parcel via the table. But, ...

What do others do?

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2018, 08:10
Create a table which outputs to a parcel. It’s the only way that I know of to do it, and the method I use in all of the conversations i’ve done.

damned
March 30th, 2018, 10:17
Create a table which outputs to a parcel. It’s the only way that I know of to do it, and the method I use in all of the conversations i’ve done.

Id love to see a video of one of those conversations.
There you are shneebing away on your pipe and havering away with Doug and out pops 1d4 healing potions!

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2018, 12:34
Id love to see a video of one of those conversations.
There you are shneebing away on your pipe and havering away with Doug and out pops 1d4 healing potions!

lol

hehaub
April 1st, 2018, 17:47

This is the way I do it also. I just build a small table appropriate for the parcel and link it into the story, then I can generate one on the fly for a bit of randomness. Sometimes I just build
a table with all the generic items that could be in a set area and let it choose what if found at a specific location, so I cut down on tables to track and populate

LordEntrails
April 1st, 2018, 19:10
Thanks all. If I could think of a generic table I would do that, but I think I'm going to need a bunch of single use tables.