PDA

View Full Version : Function Call Driving Table that is Missing the Functions

Minty23185Fresh
March 27th, 2018, 19:12
In the <masterindex> code I came across a really slick use of a table. The values in the table can be function (names). This allows one to execute different functions based on a variable's value. Very similar to the switch-case statement from other languages (which lua seems to lack).

I am trying to implement such methodology in an extension of mine, and have run across a peculiarity. Depending on how/when I set up the table, sometimes the functions are there, sometimes not.

A really stripped down example follows.

If the table is populated in a function, things are good:

local tOne = { };

function runThis()
tOne = {
["runfOne"] = fOne,
["runfTwo"] = fTwo,
["runfThree"] = fThree,
};

Debug.console("tOne=", tOne);
end

Here are the results (note the appearance of "fn" for each element).

Runtime Notice: s'tOne=' | { s'runfOne' = fn, s'runfTwo' = fn, s'runfThree' = fn }

But if the table is prepopulated in the definition, the functions aren't there, the table is empty.

local tOne = {
["runfOne"] = fOne,
["runfTwo"] = fTwo,
["runfThree"] = fThree,
};
function runThis()
end

Runtime Notice: s'tOne=' | { }

This seems like an early/late binding sort of thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has to do with scope. All my problems seem to boil down to that.

I tried populating the table in onInit() and things work fine, so that's probably the place to do it.

But why can't I prepopulate in the modular scope table definition? Anyone have any ideas?

Minty23185Fresh
March 27th, 2018, 19:12
For those interested in the application here's a little extra code that exercises it. (I populated the table in onInit).

function runThis()

local runF = tOne["runfTwo"];
runF();
end
function fOne()
local a = 1;
Debug.console("function ONE");
end
function fTwo()
local b = 2;
Debug.console("function TWO");
end
function fThree()
local c = 3;
Debug.console("function THREE");
end

And the results.

Runtime Notice: s'tOne=' | { s'runfOne' = fn, s'runfTwo' = fn, s'runfThree' = fn }
Runtime Notice: s'function TWO'