PDA

View Full Version : Best practices / advice ?

Varsuuk
March 26th, 2018, 19:22
Is there a downside to extracting <windowclass> definitions into their own .xml files?

In some cases, I find it easier to remember where a definition is that way plus it would help “clear mental clutter” for me when going to read it so I need not scroll past a lot of other things I am not trying to look at at the moment.

Perhaps this is another example of a non xml guy trying to shoe-horn ruleset creation into his prior C++ style of coding? (I’m one of those one class per for the most part)

Does it use more resources, slow something down, etc? Just not preferred for aesthetic reasons (which I then can ignore since it will be me maintaining this if it ever goes further.)

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2018, 19:55
There’s some overhead in file unzipping/loading. It will primarily affect load time. I usually keep all classes related to a single record type in a single file (ie story/table/etc)

Regards,
JPG

Varsuuk
March 26th, 2018, 20:50
Right, I forgot they were in pak/zip file since as I develop it’s in a plain folder.

I think then until I get a feel of what I will end up with, I will make it much more granular, encapsulating things that work together tightly. After done, can look at how to group them more similar to what you say. I don’t have a good feel and this gives me the benefit of finding making my initial creation easier to consume a little at time since I am mixing and matching and sonetimes I jettison things I grabbed.