PDA

View Full Version : Newcomer Questions

Devil Dog
March 26th, 2018, 00:50
Hello,
I do not yet have a license, but plan to get one soon. My question is concerning the Cthulu Keeper's book. Does the purchase through Fantasy Grounds come with a pdf version of the book? Or is it simply the rules converted into the Fantasy Grounds system [with a pdf needing to be purchased separately]? Also, I assume it that it provides 'drag and drop' capability for items and the like? thanks.

Actually, one more question. Do the various modules offered by Fantasy Grounds come with a pdf file of the module? Or does the module pdf file need to be purchased separately?

dberkompas
March 26th, 2018, 01:38
As far as I know, you do NOT get a PDF. However, the entire manual is included, not just the rules 'converted' as you said.

There is a 'Reference Manual' link in the module that has the entire text/images.

Dave

LordEntrails
March 26th, 2018, 02:52
Hey Devil Dog, welcome to the forums. Just to be extra cautious, is this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=CHAFGCOCCOC7ERS the product you are talking about?

If so, as Dave says, it does include a "Reference Manual" section (you can see this in the second screen shot). Reference Manuals are digital book formats, so you can read the book "page by page" (or in this case, section by section) inside of FG. But, also as Dave says, their is not PDF version that you can use outside of FG.

rghogg
March 26th, 2018, 03:08
We have a group of 6 to 8 people who play 5e regularly on a weekly basis, DM generally switches off between 2 or 3 different DM's because we like to take turns playing verses DM'ing. my ? is if we buy the ultimate license will we be able to download the software on multiple laptops or do we have to choose one as a main laptop.

JohnD
March 26th, 2018, 03:19
We have a group of 6 to 8 people who play 5e regularly on a weekly basis, DM generally switches off between 2 or 3 different DM's because we like to take turns playing verses DM'ing. my ? is if we buy the ultimate license will we be able to download the software on multiple laptops or do we have to choose one as a main laptop.

You might want to take a look at the 4 for the price of 3 option on Steam in your particular situation. That way everyone will have a Standard license and any of you can DM so switching off won't be a big deal.

DLC will still be tied to whoever buys it however, which may or may not be an issue for your group.

Others may have other opinions. :)

rghogg
March 26th, 2018, 04:07
do you have a link to that offer? cant seem to find it?

rghogg
March 26th, 2018, 04:09
found it thanks

rghogg
March 26th, 2018, 04:19
Does Steam complete bundle come with ultimate license or do you still have to purchase license seperately?

JohnD
March 26th, 2018, 05:18
Does Steam complete bundle come with ultimate license or do you still have to purchase license seperately?

Assuming you are talking about this; https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/256/Fantasy_Grounds_DD_Complete_Bundle/ then;

The D&D Complete Bundle for Fantasy Grounds contains everything released for online play through Fantasy Grounds for Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition. It contains the core Fantasy Grounds program that allows you to play or host games for any other non-Demo Fantasy Grounds user. You can further upgrade this package with the Ultimate upgrade and allow for Demo users to connect and play within your games for free.

So, that would be the Standard license, not the Ultimate - but you can buy the upgrade to Ultimate separately.

damned
March 26th, 2018, 06:05
The Complete Bundles are bundles for a specific game system and include all the official DLC for that game system - eg for Dungeons & Dragons or for Castles & Crusades.
The bundles dont include the base license (standard or ultimate).
EDIT: The Steam Version of the Complete D&D Bundle **does** include the Standard FG License as well.

On Steam you cant buy an Ultimate in one item - you need to buy a Standard and Upgrade to the Ultimate. This is just because a tiny fraction of Steams products have different versions of the same product so the system is not setup to understand them.

The only legal solution in your case is having the software on the one persons computer. The license is actually per person rather than per computer etc or per group.

Buying Standard Licenses for each person is the best way when many of them take turns at GMing. The challenge you have is that DLC is not shareable/lendable etc. If DMJohn runs D&D and DMSusan runs CallOfCthulhu and DMRaj runs Savage Worlds thats easy - they each buy the DLC they want to use/run. If DMKim also wants to run CallOfCthulhu they would also buy the ruleset and any DLC they wanted to run.

My group runs lots of different systems and different members have completely different items in their DLC (we all have D&D of course) depending on what the GM likes to run.

Its a harder sell value wise but the FG platform really does deliver a great experience.

Depending on when you ping me - I can try and load up a Cal of Cthulhu table for you to log into and have a look for yourselves.

Devil Dog
March 26th, 2018, 13:52
Thanks, this answers my question. I have not run CoC before and thus would need to familiarize myself with the rules. Sounds like I would be able to do this with the Fantasy Grounds purchase.

I have some follow up questions.
1. Does the same hold true for modules? That is, a reference manual link is provided so that I am able to read the module?

2. What are the system requirements for running FG? I wasn't able to find them on the website.

damned
March 26th, 2018, 14:07
Thanks, this answers my question. I have not run CoC before and thus would need to familiarize myself with the rules. Sounds like I would be able to do this with the Fantasy Grounds purchase.

1. Does the same hold true for modules? That is, a reference manual link is provided so that I am able to read the module?

2. What are the system requirements for running FG? I wasn't able to find them on the website.

Hi Devil Dog - reference manuals for modules is a pretty new thing.
Im currently working on Horror On The Orient Express, between other projects, and it will have full reference manual content as well as the standard story content etc.
Ive done the first 2 books and am half way through #3. No ETA. Most of the other CoC modules do not have Reference Manuals.
The Story format has exactly the same content but each section opens in its own window and feels less like reading a book.

damned
March 26th, 2018, 14:11

Oh yeah.
System Requirements...

I recommend a 64bit OS with 8GB RAM.
It will run on 4GB - especially CoC - however with systems like D&D and Pathfinder in particular where there are many more books and people tend to gather many more tokens and maps memory does become a limitation.
FG uses an older game engine at this time and can support a max memory use of around 3GB.
CPU wise - not too taxing - minimum cpu benchmark of about 3000, of course a computer that does more will be better for all the other things you are likely to use it for.
Graphics wise... something that runs DX9 nicely.

JohnD
March 26th, 2018, 14:19
The Complete Bundles are bundles for a specific game system and include all the official DLC for that game system - eg for Dungeons & Dragons or for Castles & Crusades.
The bundles dont include the base license (standard or ultimate).

On Steam you cant buy an Ultimate in one item - you need to buy a Standard and Upgrade to the Ultimate. This is just because a tiny fraction of Steams products have different versions of the same product so the system is not setup to understand them.

The only legal solution in your case is having the software on the one persons computer. The license is actually per person rather than per computer etc or per group.

Buying Standard Licenses for each person is the best way when many of them take turns at GMing. The challenge you have is that DLC is not shareable/lendable etc. If DMJohn runs D&D and DMSusan runs CallOfCthulhu and DMRaj runs Savage Worlds thats easy - they each buy the DLC they want to use/run. If DMKim also wants to run CallOfCthulhu they would also buy the ruleset and any DLC they wanted to run.

My group runs lots of different systems and different members have completely different items in their DLC (we all have D&D of course) depending on what the GM likes to run.

Its a harder sell value wise but the FG platform really does deliver a great experience.

Depending on when you ping me - I can try and load up a Cal of Cthulhu table for you to log into and have a look for yourselves.

If that Steam bundle doesn't include a Standard license the verbiage may need to be changed.

damned
March 26th, 2018, 14:29
If that Steam bundle doesn't include a Standard license the verbiage may need to be changed.

I apologise - it seems that bundle is different to the one on the Fantasy Grounds Store.
It specifically does include the Standard License.