PDA

View Full Version : Map Woas?

Varatta
March 20th, 2018, 06:02
Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new but getting the hang of (and loving) FG. Apologies for yet another noob question.

Today I have map questions:

1) I've read and watched a number of items about importing FG maps. I made one with DungeonPainterStudio and saved it specifically for FG in my new campaign folder. When I go into FG and try to open it, however, it always just pulls it up in the windows image viewer program (whatever is default for Windows 10). So frustrating. How do I get it to appear in an FG window that lets me add grids, etc?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here. Any ideas?

2) Can you copy the maps you get in a module (for example, FG comes with some free maps)? Here's some context: Just by way of example, let's say I want to use the same map twice in the same campaign - once when the PCs first encounter a demon, and a second time when they go to check on the creature (because the hapless villagers are STILL disappearing, now even faster!) and find that his overmaster has moved in with his interdimensional armada? Let's say I want to have it all set up for both instances/encounters - is that possible? Can I somehow make a duplicate so I can set one up for one encounter and set up another copy for a completely different circumstance?

At the moment it looks to me like once the 'board is set' it's there until you're done with it and clear it yourself.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious for both.

Aaron
March 20th, 2018, 06:18
Hi Varatta,

The map that you're having trouble opening, are you attempting to open it from within FG, using the 'Maps' button? 22715

For your second problem, you can easily set up two encounters on the same map. Create your first encounter, using the "Encounters" button, drag the monsters onto the map ready for the encounter, then close that encounter. The map will appear fresh again. Then create another encounter, drag the monsters onto the map ready for the second encounter. The only thing you will have to remember when you play through it is after the first encounter has been completed, the map will remember the first fight. Right click each token remaining on the map (except probably the PCs as you can move them to where they will start the second fight), and then use the "Add Encounter to Combat Tracker" to place the second fight, ready to go.

damned
March 20th, 2018, 06:48
Aaron is right on both fronts :)

I might suggest you ignore the Dungeon Painter Fantast Grounds export option and export to 50px instead.
Here is more info on Encounters.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

Varatta
March 20th, 2018, 07:00
Hello @aaron,

Map in FG problem: Yes I am trying to open via the maps&images icon - which gives you the option to open 'store' or 'folder' - I click folder and can see the maps I want to open so I click them - but they open in the windows program as a new window, not in FG. FYI, I've exported them as PNG files.

With regards to the encounters on a map: I read the section @Damned posted and that helped a lot. Thank you both!

damned
March 20th, 2018, 08:08
The Folder icon launches explorer so that you can copy your image into the correct location.
Click on the Image link within the Images window.

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2018, 10:12
You should use jpg files for maps rather than png. In fact apart from tokens use jpg for everything. Once you have put your map into the FG folder, close that folder. To access a map in a campaign click the images button and you will see a list of images in the window that opens. Select the map you want from that list, clicking it to open it.

Varatta
March 20th, 2018, 10:28
Thanks for the input everyone. @damned & @Zacchaeus, I think that's exactly what I'm doing. but it's not brining the image to FG but rather opening up the default image viewer in Windows 10.

Here is my process:
- PNG files already in the Campaign/Images folder as per instructions
- open FG Campaign (corresponding to the above)
- click 'maps/images'
- click 'folder' (it takes me to the folder and I can see the map I want)
- single click on the map I want. ...nothing happens. Double click on the map I want - Windows Image viewer opens and the map shows up. Click back to FG .... nothing happening.
- converted to JPEG - same process, same result.

After I click the map I want in the folder it is supposed to be in having accessed it from FG, I get this (please don't make fun of my map, it's my first one): 22716

What am I doing wrong here? I feel like for everyone else this is really straight forward and I've read instructions and watched videos - no dice. I'm sure it's something very basic I'm missing (or not) but I'm at a loss.

spite
March 20th, 2018, 10:57
Don't open the folder. When you click "maps/images" it should show up as a clickable file name that you press once to open. Like this image. https://bit.ly/2GKADNN

spite
March 20th, 2018, 10:58
It should be under "Old Man Rankin's Barn----"

Varatta
March 20th, 2018, 11:19
BRILLIANT! We have a winner! Thanks @Spite & everyone else for the help. So it wasn't recognizing the PNG files (as in they weren't showing up under maps/new) but it DID recognize the jpeg that @Zacchaeus prompted me to create - I just didn't check under 'new' maps after I did it (my bad).

Thank you all very much!

LordEntrails
March 20th, 2018, 15:57
When you open the "folder" in the Maps and Images, that does indeed open a Windows Explorer, and the only thing you should use this for is to copy images INTO the campaign. Once you do that, close that Windows Explorer and when you close it, FG will update the Maps & Images list with the stuff you added to the folder.

Hope that helps understand the behavior and usage.

Varatta
March 20th, 2018, 21:45
Yes, thanks LordEntrails!