PDA

View Full Version : free official wotc adventures for personal use ?

freckle_smoker
April 12th, 2006, 05:30
is it ok if I remake an adventure for My group and dont distribute it , mainly to avoid copyright issues . I have contacted wotc and the asked me to send a letter to someone somewhere if I wish to distribute it online but I am going to wait until I have finished making the adventure and then send a copy of it to wotc for them to approve it hopefully . Btw it is the free adventure "the burning plague" , and I am about say 60% complete. I just need to redo the map using either cc2 or dundjinni , that is if I can get my hands on either one .wish Me luck .oh and thanks for any reps .

Griogre
April 12th, 2006, 05:36
It is my understanding, under fair use you can put WoTC's free adventures in FG as long as you don't distribute it.

Cypher
April 12th, 2006, 06:58
I've already done several of the free wizard's scenarios. I've run them for groups, but I haven't put them on a website to distribute. They're free for your personal use, so use them.

And enjoy :D

ghedrain
April 12th, 2006, 08:07
That being said, if we purchased an adventure book and input it into FG to run a campaign that's ok too? (As long as it doesn't get distributed or sold)

DarkStar
April 12th, 2006, 08:18
That being said, if we purchased an adventure book and input it into FG to run a campaign that's ok too? (As long as it doesn't get distributed or sold)

Why not? Besides, do they look into your computer to see if you have made a Fantasy Grounds module of their adventure? :P Why do you care about such things as personal use? If you download a free module from WotC website, you are entitled to DM it with your friends. Because using FG you can't sit by the table, you have to prepare an electronic version to run. I see no problem at all.

Griogre
April 12th, 2006, 22:07
The problem with FG is that you end up distributing content. That is what is different from playing with your friends in a face to face game - in a face to face game you do not give them perfect digital copies of copyrighted material. That is why it pays to be careful. Maps on the DM's computer are distributed to his players, as are tokens. If these are copyrighted, and most module maps are, techincally you are distributing them in a way your wouldn't if you were face to face where you would at most just show the players a map.

That said, I don't really think you would have a problem with anything the players could download themselfs for free from the WoTC website, however.

It is unfortunate FG distributes material this way. If they encrypted or did some other thing to protect copyrighted material there would probably be more conversions of modules into Fantasy Grounds.

freckle_smoker
April 12th, 2006, 23:04
I guess that could be in 1.07 patch since I very seriously doubt it can be in the next one . and yes it is most unfortunate that fg distributes content in that way .

Cypher
April 12th, 2006, 23:52
I redo the maps for my games anyways, but even if I didn't I would still put any module I want to run with my friends into the game.

I really can't see any of the publishers coming after you for playing their modules. How many stories have you heard where a publisher came after someone for using FG to play their modules? I haven't heard a single one. If they did, it would be an absolute joke.

I worry about this less than I worry about a hangnail.

freckle_smoker
April 13th, 2006, 04:43
That is so true Cypher . I just wish I could let someone who has made a module before take a look at the one I am almost done with to tell Me what looks correct and what doesnt . After I am done with this one ( My first module) I may just make one of My own adventures into one , but I am still brainstorming on that one .

Sigurd
April 13th, 2006, 18:01
These are my personal beliefes -- I am not a lawyer.

If you legally acquire a module (free or priced is irrelevant) you have to be expected to play that module. Every module I've ever seen in play 'distributed' images from the module for player comprehension - they're often even called Player Maps.

Veteran players of a particular module know a lot about that module -- it has ever been thus. I've never known a situation where players and DM both had to buy a module -- that would be unheard of.

I won't worry about playing a module with my friends, in person or over the internet.

Lets look at the other side though.

If you use images from a module to make a new module that influences the marketplace you should contact and reimburse the copyright holders of those images. 'Influence' can mean that you 'sold' the module and took money from the market or even that you 'gave it away' and discouraged someone else from buying a module.

If your creation never influences the marketplace than it is still an extension of the old module and not new.

Making an extension of a particular module that might increase its appeal might be appreciated by the original creator, they might like the advertising they might support 'amateurish' things -- they might not. Be prepared to yank any component that you cannot get permission for. 'Not for profit' doesn't have a lot to do with it unless that appeals to the copyright holders. (If Joe is selling a thousand posters a day at $10 and I give away the image from that poster, he still loses $10,000.00 a day.)

I think the really important thing to remember, surrounded by vage and difficult rules, is your intent and to pay attention to possibly harming the source of your inspiration. There's a whole level of readyness you have to consider before distributing a module simply playing one on Fgrounds, from whatever source, is not distribution. IMHO

Sigurd

kalmarjan
April 13th, 2006, 18:50
One thing to remember here is that FG does distrube the maps to the players. In almost all modules, except for the really old blue ink ones, it is perfectly acceptable to photocopy the module for your own use in the gaming group, including distributing to your gaming buddies. Now, with the potential of having thousands of gaming buddies online, this presents a different problem...

I find that modules are really not the core issue here at FG. Moreso the issue is with rulesets. While the images to a module are distributed to a player in the campaign, this pales in comparison to someone who plays in a game with a modified ruleset. The whole ruleset is transfered to a player, so they are able to play in the campaign. When you have groups playing in Ebberon, all a person would have to do is connect to a game, and they will "own" the ruleset. (And would not even have to own the book, depending on how far the person with the ruleset has gone with the data entry...)

I beleive that SW has laid the ground work to combat this issue, as seen with the module import functionality with 1.04. Now you do not neccessarily need to have the ruleset to see the module in the campaign, provided you edit the campaign.xml file to allow modules from a different ruleset.

All in all, I think that the whole issue of copyright verses you honestly playing a game is moot. What I dread is a person who uses FG as a vehicle for copyright infringement. I am also glad that CMP is working with SW, so that hopefully there will be a future with rulesets like eberron and FR. (Keep your fingers crossed y'all :) )

Sandeman

Emryys
April 14th, 2006, 21:24
is it ok if I remake an adventure for My group and dont distribute it , mainly to avoid copyright issues . I have contacted wotc and the asked me to send a letter to someone somewhere if I wish to distribute it online but I am going to wait until I have finished making the adventure and then send a copy of it to wotc for them to approve it hopefully . Btw it is the free adventure "the burning plague" , and I am about say 60% complete. I just need to redo the map using either cc2 or dundjinni , that is if I can get my hands on either one .wish Me luck .oh and thanks for any reps .

I wrote to Wizaeds regarding this kind of topic and ironically the same module ;)

I wanted to make a copy to post, slightly different but maybe informative...

"Could this be directed to the Legal Department

I wish to make available a conversion I made of an adventure on your downloads page called The Burning Plague

I made the conversion to GRIP (Generic Role-playing for Internet Players) Software.
https://www.travellerrpg.com/Catalog/software.html

I feel this adventure is great to show novice DM's how to create/convert their own adventures into GRiP format :)

It would be made freely available, on a personal website, with full credit being given both inside and outside the file on the site.

If this is possible, could I be directed on how to go about doing this in the proper manner.

It has not been published, shown, posted or in anyway made public, so If this is not possible, it never will.

A response on if or how to proceed would be greatly appreciated"

I got this response...

"In order to pursue this you will have to contact Hasbro and enter into a licensing agreement! I am including a link below that will put you on the right path for contacting the Hasbro Legal folks about this!"

And then got this from Hasbro...

"Thank you for contacting Hasbro, Inc. regarding a new product idea. We appreciate your interest in our company.

As you can imagine, we receive many contacts and inquiries such as yours, and while we appreciate hearing from our friends and consumers, we must advise you that we do not accept unsolicited submissions for review.

For many years it has been and remains our company's policy to decline offers to consider unsolicited external ideas or suggestions. We depend on employees and other organizations with whom we deal on a regular basis for such ideas. Also, the toy and game industry has had the unfortunate experience of law suits being filed by individuals who allege misappropriation of their ideas as a result of a company's consideration of even the most general concept, and we simply cannot assume such risks. Therefore, we do not encourage the submission of ideas by individuals who are not directly associated with our company or its agents."

I guess they don't want this to occur :(

Cypher
April 14th, 2006, 21:32
That's just an automated response because they thought you were pitching a new toy idea.

Emryys
April 16th, 2006, 07:44
That's just an automated response because they thought you were pitching a new toy idea.

Agreed. So then it becomes, how do you actually contact someone about these types of issues... I'm sure lots of people would like to make "adventures" to share with others, but the rules (FAQ's, etc) aren't all that clear. I certainly don't want to violate anyone's copyrights and trademarks, but part of RPGing (even online) is sharing the stuff you made.

Whether it's good or not ;)

Thore_Ironrock
April 16th, 2006, 15:06
Agreed. So then it becomes, how do you actually contact someone about these types of issues... I'm sure lots of people would like to make "adventures" to share with others, but the rules (FAQ's, etc) aren't all that clear. I certainly don't want to violate anyone's copyrights and trademarks, but part of RPGing (even online) is sharing the stuff you made.

Whether it's good or not ;)

You need a licensing contract to do this ... period. Yeah, this might seem like a "canned" email, but it is the flat-out policy. Trying to bypass it will get you one just like it or a cease and desist letter.

Currently, Code Monkey has this covered for the realm of converting WOTC products to Fantasy Grounds, and WOTC does not want to deal with anyone but CMP at this time regarding Fantasy Grounds.

Rob and I talked once about these adventures awhile back, and when he asked he was told no. Part of the reason I believe is that if certain contracted web content items are "republished" WOTC may have to issue payment again based on the original contract.

Back at TSR when we use to issue contracts for RPGA tournaments, they were *lesser* paid contracts because they were not printed products, and there was a clause that said if this adventure/article was published *again* or in more *professional* venue the author would receive compensation based on current *professional* rates. It is my guess that this is the case here, and why they refuse to allow CMP access to these adventures or fan-based conversions -- because they would have to pay the authors (and probably the cartographers) all over again.

As far as "making adventures to share online", you can do that all you want as long as it only contains content from the SRD, and it doesn't already belong to anyone else. If someone violates copyright in this manner by converting published material without permission, then posts it on a website for download (or a forum post saying to email me, or some sort of similar annoucement) that will prompt a call from the lawyers.

Hope that sheds some light. If anyone has copyright questions please feel free to message me and I'll help if I can.

Emryys
April 17th, 2006, 04:55
Excellent Thore Ironrock :)

Not in the content of the answer but the clarification. I presumed this but just wanted a clear answer. Thank you and it is understandable that this would be their policy.
So I have to write my own huh...

Emongnome
April 17th, 2006, 20:49
So what's the consensus? If I go to a gaming store, purchase a module, then create my own tokens / maps for the module to use in a D&D game played through Fantasy Grounds, am I in violation of some copyright law? If so, is it really going to matter in this case? I can see the issues with distribution, but within the framework of a personal game that will never go outside that group of gamers, I hazard to guess that this will never invoke the ire of any company. If so, I'll never buy their product again!

Emongnome

Cypher
April 17th, 2006, 21:48
So what's the consensus? If I go to a gaming store, purchase a module, then create my own tokens / maps for the module to use in a D&D game played through Fantasy Grounds, am I in violation of some copyright law? If so, is it really going to matter in this case? I can see the issues with distribution, but within the framework of a personal game that will never go outside that group of gamers, I hazard to guess that this will never invoke the ire of any company. If so, I'll never buy their product again!

Emongnome

Hehe, I think the tread got a little side tracked there Emongnome. In the end they were talking about distribution, not running, of modules that you put into Fantasy Grounds. I do not see any problem with you putting any module that is either free, or you have purchased, into Fantasy Grounds to run for your friends. So it sends any images... big deal. I have, and will continue, to put purchased, and free downloaded, modules into Fantasy Grounds to run for people without fear of retribution.

Griogre
April 18th, 2006, 04:47

Emongnome

The thread did get sidetracked a little. No game company would go after you if you do not distribute the module to others.

It does appear that you may be technically in violation of copyright law, because of way FG distributes images, maps and tokens from the DM's computer and places them on the players computers. It's argueable under "fair use" either way.

As far as provoking the ire of companies, it very well may. They wouldn't respond by going after you, they would simply never license any conversions of their modules into FG. Take a good look around at how many modules that are not free have been converted to FG from a commercial module. Not many - 3 that I am aware of. How many companies have allowed their even their free "promo" modules to be converted? One - that I am aware of - Necromancer.

Food for thought. That's why I wish FG did a better job of protecting copyrighted materials.

Thore_Ironrock
April 18th, 2006, 23:57
Take a good look around at how many modules that are not free have been converted to FG from a commercial module. Not many - 3 that I am aware of. How many companies have allowed their even their free "promo" modules to be converted? One - that I am aware of - Necromancer.

That number is going to go up sharply if I have anything to say about it. :D

Every time that Digital Adventures gets publishers involved in Fantasy Grounds I pitch that they allow us to convert their free adventures as a way to promote their other FG products.

As it stands right now we have nearly all of the free Arcana Evolved adventures converted, and will be releasing a few every two weeks. I posted two just the other day. In addition, I hope to be annoucing two new ruleset conversions very soon, and both of them will have free adventures posted as well.

Griogre
April 20th, 2006, 00:15
Yeah, I saw the release shortly after I made the above post. Kudos to Digital Adventures and Malhavoc.