PDA

View Full Version : Folders for tokens

Emongnome
April 11th, 2006, 23:49
When I make new tokens (as DM mostly), I always place them in the fantasygrounds/data/tokens folder. What does the fantasygrounds/tokens/host (and shared) folders do for me?

Also, as a word of warning, I lost several of my tokens a while back and wanted to share this for others, if it hasn't been said already. The first session we played, I DMd and had some tokens made up for the encounters and characters (25x25 pixels) placed in my data/tokens folder. Went well, but we thought that they were too small, so we went to 35x35. No problem. I made new tokens and deleted the old ones on my computer but named them the same (we love that size, btw). The next time we played, another person was DM. When I connected to him, apparently it copied all the smaller tokens that were still on his computer onto my computer, overwriting my bigger tokens. Not a big deal, I just made them again and put them into a shiney new folder I created to prevent it from happening again until I can get everybody to delete all their old tokens. Can using those other folders prevent this? Also, does putting tokens in the /host folder mean that the players don't get the tokens in there at all when we connect? Thanks.

Emongnome

Cypher
April 12th, 2006, 01:11
When I make new tokens (as DM mostly), I always place them in the fantasygrounds/data/tokens folder. What does the fantasygrounds/tokens/host (and shared) folders do for me?

Also, as a word of warning, I lost several of my tokens a while back and wanted to share this for others, if it hasn't been said already. The first session we played, I DMd and had some tokens made up for the encounters and characters (25x25 pixels) placed in my data/tokens folder. Went well, but we thought that they were too small, so we went to 35x35. No problem. I made new tokens and deleted the old ones on my computer but named them the same (we love that size, btw). The next time we played, another person was DM. When I connected to him, apparently it copied all the smaller tokens that were still on his computer onto my computer, overwriting my bigger tokens. Not a big deal, I just made them again and put them into a shiney new folder I created to prevent it from happening again until I can get everybody to delete all their old tokens. Can using those other folders prevent this? Also, does putting tokens in the /host folder mean that the players don't get the tokens in there at all when we connect? Thanks.

Emongnome

Hi Emongnome,

The host directory allows you to see your own tokens, but doesn't share them to the other players connected to you. If you place them in the shared directory, then everyone connecting to you can see those tokens.

Word of Warning! I, as well as others, have experienced players dropping from the game when placing tokens in the shared directory.

You do have the right idea about a seperate directory for your tokens though. I create a directory called "tokens" inside each campaign directory, and put my tokens in there. Those tokens are available for that campaign only, and downloading other players tokens do not overwrite them.

Hope this helps you.

Emongnome
April 12th, 2006, 02:22
Yes, it did help. Thank you very much. I'll just have to play around with all these things and go from there. I think I'll ask everybody in my group to delete all their tokens that they got from me and the other DM. There are lots of those smaller tokens floating around and I want to get rid of them so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Emongnome

Larac
April 30th, 2006, 12:27
How do you assign Pics to tokens?

Also, If I have made an NPC, can I link a token to that char?

Thnks

Lee

Griogre
April 30th, 2006, 21:15
How do you assign Pics to tokens?
Basically you put the pic in the token folder. Don't do this while FG is running it will crash. Then restart FG they will be there. FG does not scale the tokens so you need to make sure your tokens are scaled correctly before you put them in the token folder.

Also, If I have made an NPC, can I link a token to that char?
Tokens are not attached to anything. The are just like minis in a Face to Face game. You can use that orc figure to be the dragon, or the nun, or even an orc. ;) Adding a token is like getting another mini figure, sure you can use them for just one character, but you don't have too.

As was pointed out above, shared tokens are transfered to the players from the host. Host only tokens are not. So if you have a special token for an NPC you put them in your host folder to "reserve" it for your use only.