PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Fantasy Grounds Videos.

Doswelk
March 15th, 2018, 21:51
A little history....

Over the years I have made videos on Savage Worlds for Fantasy Grounds and posted them on YouTube, I started this due to a competition run by Smiteworks (make a video about Fantasy Grounds, stick it up on YouTube, at the end of the month the video with the most hits, won an Ultimate License) which I won.

I found I actually enjoyed making the videos and have carried on over the years, I only have 169 subscribers (thank you Pepor for subscribing as I typed the first draft of this) but I was recognised (by my voice) at Gen Con 2010 by people who were fans of my channel, which as a Brit on my own in another country was awesome.

Over the years I have asked for suggestions and questions for videos and I have had a few responses, but I feel I could do more, so I have decided I'd post a thread here on the Fantasy Grounds website in the Savage Worlds Forums and "abuse" my power as a moderator to make it sticky.

What I want to do is use this thread as a place where people can ask questions and I'll make videos to show visually the answers, in addition any suggestions or things you have noticed that have changed in Fantasy Grounds that make my videos incorrect and out of date please post and I'll make more videos.

The videos will be focused on Savage Worlds on Fantasy Grounds, other people on this site have made much better rule set independent videos and I urge you to watch them first, once you get how Fantasy Grounds works or find something in those videos that the Savage Worlds rule set does differently please come here and ask.

I have posted today the first part of a 4.6 update video where I cover Heavy Weapons, Heavy Armour, Combat Tracker changes and can be found here: https://youtu.be/epT_4rmXPJ4

Phantom Whale and Ikael have made an awesome rule set for Fantasy Grounds over the years and without them I'd not have any content for my YouTube channel, so I'd like to thank them for all the hard work.

Current Videos (4.6 onwards)

Savage Worlds 4.6 Ruleset Part 1 (https://youtu.be/epT_4rmXPJ4)

Savage Worlds 4.6 Ruleset Part 2 (https://youtu.be/fAU4mY-F5u4)

Combat Demo (https://youtu.be/_72PM8M06PE)

Chase Demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRk0HAxoS8&t=211s)

Quick Answers - Videos that answer a specific question

How to specify a custom Fighting skill for an attack (https://youtu.be/FMdt9-enpno)

"Fanning the hammer" - how to create a sub-attack with 2-6 die rolls + wild die (https://youtu.be/JN86DQeG2IE)

[Currently requested videos]

None at the moment

dragonheels
March 16th, 2018, 17:27
Thanks a lot for the video. It's very useful and it's great to see some great enhancements.
BTW I am one of your followers on YouTube.
One video that I think would be great is to simulate a combat using all the possible functionalities. Including multiple attacks, i mean 3 attacks with one wild die only and how to treat that when targeting 2 or more opponents. (eg fanning the hammer in Deadlands).
Showing gang up, cones and burst pointers when dealing with powers and do on. Effects and modifiers Windows.
Would be great to show my players.

Doswelk
March 16th, 2018, 18:23
Thanks a lot for the video. It's very useful and it's great to see some great enhancements.
One video that I think would be great is to simulate a combat using all the possible functionalities. Including multiple attacks, i mean 3 attacks with one wild die only and how to treat that when targeting 2 or more opponents. (eg fanning the hammer in Deadlands).
Showing gang up, cones and burst pointers when dealing with powers and do on. Effects and modifiers Windows.
Hello dragonheels and thank you for responding my first request how can I say no!

I am currently finishing off part 2 of the 4.6 video this is taking longer than expected as I keep finding bugs :)

I did a combat video a few versions back you are right it does need updating...

mac40k
March 16th, 2018, 19:00
I have always enjoyed your videos, but prior to yesterday had not subscribed. When I first started reading your OP, I was afraid it was going to lead to you saying you were done with such a thankless task. So happy that I was wrong! Subscribed now and looking forward to part 2 of your latest series.

damned
March 16th, 2018, 23:42
I would love to see a video that is not strictly about teh FG side of things (but ou would be demonstrating in FG so it would still be FG helpful) on how players can maximise their combat effectiveness...

Baufrin
March 20th, 2018, 06:30
I am curious if power armor can add toughness I have tried and failed. I would also like to be able to set a strength die to it some thing like Armor +5 Toughness +3 (this is to show a more durable tech base) and some thing like strength d12+2.

Doswelk
March 20th, 2018, 17:35
I am curious if power armor can add toughness I have tried and failed. I would also like to be able to set a strength die to it some thing like Armor +5 Toughness +3 (this is to show a more durable tech base) and some thing like strength d12+2.
Hello,

[Toughness +3] will add three toughness to the armor when resisting damage in the combat tracker, at this time you cannot make the strength d12+2 but you can add dice to strength using e.g. +2d to increase by two die steps.

twistedtechmike
March 20th, 2018, 23:17
Anxiously awaiting more videos. The 4.6 video is the bees knees. I also agree with above, any combat videos are appreciated. I'm new to SW, and trying to teach my group as I learn :fail:

Baufrin
March 22nd, 2018, 03:16
Just downloaded update and works now. for Toughness is there a way to do multiple effects? I.E. like strength and toughness?

Doswelk
March 22nd, 2018, 08:05
Just downloaded update and works now. for Toughness is there a way to do multiple effects? I.E. like strength and toughness?
Yes: [Toughness +3, Strength +2d, Agility +3d]

Also in the next 4.6 update you can assign a value to a stat [Strength =xd] where 'x' is a number:

[Strength = 1d] ==> d4
[Strength = 3d] ==> d8
[Strength = 7d] ==> d12+2

Jay_NOLA
March 23rd, 2018, 19:53
Thanks for the videos. I've enjoyed all the ones you've done as they helped me learn Savage Worlds.

I would love to see videos dedicated to theses:

More combat ones are always helpful.

One showing all the tip and tricks on using the Enhancement Extension. Embedding images and stuff that isn't really easy to figure out.

How the awesome Savage Worlds Fantasy Grounds themes are done. Videos and and tutorials exist on how to make themes, but none of them show how to do custom bennies and I'd love to see exactly how the buttons, etc. are made using art from Savage Worlds products.

One showing how to make custom action deck card. A lot of the older Savage World setting have PDFs of cards specifically for them and I'd love to see a good video tutorial on adding and making cards to the action deck. A lot of the older PDF cards are about 1-2 pixels larger than the recommended size for FG versions too.

Not a Fantasy Ground one but a good video on Savage World charter generation and combat optimization. The Combat Survival Guide helps with that but seeing a combat video showing off those tricks and one one how to optimize new characters by an old time player would be helpful. The newer Savage World players I had had a real rough time trying to figure out how to make survivable characters for combat and the tricks to do.

twistedtechmike
March 29th, 2018, 14:28
@Doswelk, any chance we can have the first post edited to house all the video links?

Nyghtmare
March 30th, 2018, 16:44
@Doswelk, any chance we can have the first post edited to house all the video links?
You could just go to the videos page on his YouTube page, which will list all of the 25 videos that he has created.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doswelk/videos

Doswelk
March 31st, 2018, 19:57

Done :)

Doswelk
April 9th, 2018, 08:57

Done, not sure it is the most interesting one to watch, may try again another day...

dragonheels
April 9th, 2018, 13:10
Big thanks for the video. You covered many things, and in real situation. I loved it. I got conirmation on certain points i wasn't sure, and learned a few tricks :) For instance with the effect linked to Boost trait (one die +) !

GunnarGreybeard
April 10th, 2018, 08:14
The videos definitely help. Reading the books is one thing, but seeing the ruleset in action like that is another and most helpful. I'm a visual learner. :rv:

Ikael
April 16th, 2018, 18:03
Doswelk, maybe you could do video about different usage and features regarding bennies?

unclejayrazz
April 20th, 2018, 19:05
I'd like to see how Dramatic Tasks and Chases are handled. Thanks again for your help today on Discord!

Cantra
May 20th, 2018, 00:28
Would it be possible to have a video made on the usage of Effects (spell and otherwise)? I see that they're there for the Savage Worlds rule set , but am unsure as to how to work them into gameplay.

Valyar
October 22nd, 2018, 12:18
Thank you for the videos on the Savage Worlds ruleset! I am currently exploring the system and the Deadlands setting for game set in the Wild West and looking for Sci-Fi one for another adventure. Having videos that demonstrate the functionality and the richness of a ruleset is definitely something that speeds up the purchase of a product. While 10 USD are not much for the foundation ruleset, when I start adding settings and other modules, the price goes up pretty fast. The decisions must be informed, rather than a leap of fate :)

YamaShintaku
April 8th, 2019, 22:45
Awesome videos! Thanks! Are there any plans to add more, or update with new ruleset versions?

Doswelk
April 9th, 2019, 10:48
I have been asked to make a chase video, basically I tend to make them for updates to SW ruleset and when asked to shows how to do stuff.

Glad you like them.

Please make suggestions for more!

YamaShintaku
May 10th, 2019, 14:43
I have been asked to make a chase video, basically I tend to make them for updates to SW ruleset and when asked to shows how to do stuff.

Glad you like them.

Please make suggestions for more!

Chase would be awesome! Also, as I mentioned in another thread, how about a video that covered some combat scenarios showing detailed usage of your explanation of the Frenzy attack and how different versions would work in FG. The ruleset gets a little confusing when we discuss Frenzy, so it would be great to describe it a little deeper and make it understandable.

Thanks again the fantastic videos!
-Vaughn

YamaShintaku
May 25th, 2019, 15:58
Another SWADE video idea would be Dramatic Tasks, and also Mass Battles. Covering how they're handled by SWADE rules and how to incorporate them in Fantasy Grounds would be awesome!

rgk13
February 26th, 2020, 21:42
I too want to say thank you for the videos. You really do have a talent to explain clearly and it helps me a great deal. I have an ask. I would love to see a video on automating in SWADE. How to automate certain actions using [ ...] writing. I'm trying to automate as much as possible and some commands are not easy to understand...some I dont even know if they exist since I was never able to find a complete list of the commands. I did check out the one that Ikael did but some I just cant find like multiply...example (1d4 X 10 hours) how can I do multiply. Stuff of this nature would be great. Thank you.

Tommycore
April 17th, 2020, 12:52
Hey Doswelk, a huge thank you for your Savage video tutorials on SW(ADE), they've been extremely helpful. If your offer to make new videos still stands, I'd like to delve a bit into creating a Savage setting. Not just making a module for FG, there's plenty of videos about that, but rather how to tailor and implement a setup for your setting, and all the hidden menus. I'm thinking about something along the lines of your custom skills for weapons video, where you show how to use the combat skill double handed.

Jiminimonka
April 7th, 2021, 23:02
Another SWADE video idea would be Dramatic Tasks, and also Mass Battles. Covering how they're handled by SWADE rules and how to incorporate them in Fantasy Grounds would be awesome!

Dramatic Tasks please :)

Mike Serfass
April 8th, 2021, 02:47
I'd love to see a video on dramatic tasks and mass battles. Especially if mass battles uses chillhelm's extension.
Thank you Doswelk for the videos you've already done!

Jiminimonka
April 23rd, 2021, 23:24
A little history....

Over the years I have made videos on Savage Worlds for Fantasy Grounds and posted them on YouTube, I started this due to a competition run by Smiteworks (make a video about Fantasy Grounds, stick it up on YouTube, at the end of the month the video with the most hits, won an Ultimate License) which I won.

I found I actually enjoyed making the videos and have carried on over the years, I only have 169 subscribers (thank you Pepor for subscribing as I typed the first draft of this) but I was recognised (by my voice) at Gen Con 2010 by people who were fans of my channel, which as a Brit on my own in another country was awesome.

Over the years I have asked for suggestions and questions for videos and I have had a few responses, but I feel I could do more, so I have decided I'd post a thread here on the Fantasy Grounds website in the Savage Worlds Forums and "abuse" my power as a moderator to make it sticky.

What I want to do is use this thread as a place where people can ask questions and I'll make videos to show visually the answers, in addition any suggestions or things you have noticed that have changed in Fantasy Grounds that make my videos incorrect and out of date please post and I'll make more videos.

The videos will be focused on Savage Worlds on Fantasy Grounds, other people on this site have made much better rule set independent videos and I urge you to watch them first, once you get how Fantasy Grounds works or find something in those videos that the Savage Worlds rule set does differently please come here and ask.

I have posted today the first part of a 4.6 update video where I cover Heavy Weapons, Heavy Armour, Combat Tracker changes and can be found here: https://youtu.be/epT_4rmXPJ4

Phantom Whale and Ikael have made an awesome rule set for Fantasy Grounds over the years and without them I'd not have any content for my YouTube channel, so I'd like to thank them for all the hard work.

Current Videos (4.6 onwards)

Savage Worlds 4.6 Ruleset Part 1 (https://youtu.be/epT_4rmXPJ4)

Savage Worlds 4.6 Ruleset Part 2 (https://youtu.be/fAU4mY-F5u4)

Combat Demo (https://youtu.be/_72PM8M06PE)

Quick Answers - Videos that answer a specific question

How to specify a custom Fighting skill for an attack (https://youtu.be/FMdt9-enpno)

"Fanning the hammer" - how to create a sub-attack with 2-6 die rolls + wild die (https://youtu.be/JN86DQeG2IE)

[Currently requested videos]

None at the moment

Could you add the Chase demo to the top post please Doswelk :)

Maetco
December 20th, 2022, 17:32
Is there a video how to Deal with the Devil in Deadlands?

I checked the Fanning the Hammer video, but it seems to be outdated. In the video there is no number of bullets visible. When I made the fanning the hammer as it was done in the video, the attack consumes 50 bullets and I didn't find a way to change this.