PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Racial Attack (final Touch)

SailorLovins
March 14th, 2018, 03:26
Thanks to several awesome people I have finally made a workable racial trait that is an attack. Here is my snippet (This is virtually Copy and Pasted from the Firebolt Spell).

You hurl a ball of energy at a creature or object within 30 feet. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 force damage.
This spell's damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 4th level (2d6), 8th level (3d6), 12th level (4d6) and 16th level (5d6).

My question is what do I put in this line to make it so FG automatically adds the race's charisma modifier to the damage without manually having to change information in each time I make the race?

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2018, 11:55
The short answer is you can't. The parser for racial traits really only looks at certain specific things such as Dwarven Resilience, ability score increases, skills, speed and languages. What I suggest you do in this case is create a new spell or cantrip for your attack and then have the trait be as described in something like the Tiefling's Infernal Legacy trait which pretty much does the same thing. If you word the spell correctly the effects will be set up when the spell is dragged into the character sheet.

Unless the PC is a spellcasting class (and therefore has the spellcasting ability) you are always going to have to set up the correct bonus for the ability score in the character sheet, either in the meta data for the power group or in the individual spell or ability. So there isn't any kind of wording that you can use to add an ability score bonus to the effect string.