PDA

View Full Version : Raw "preinterfaced" magic? What is it called?

SailorLovins
March 13th, 2018, 23:07
Hello everyone. I am writing a 5th edition module I am calling Skybound. In it I have created a race called an Aurdra which is a physical manifestation of the raw stuff of magic before it is made either divine or arcane. For some reason I have been presumptuously calling this raw energy "The Weave." Where did I get this from? I can't seem to find it in the PHB. I don't want to add "more" rules and names to the basic rule set...at least not yet until I have designed the world itself. The campaign is inspired by Ebberon where it is mildly steam punk. What do you all call the raw magical forces that interfaced by Divine or Arcane magic? If it is indeed "The Weave" where did I freaking hear this from? It's so familiar.

LordEntrails
March 13th, 2018, 23:17
I believe "The Weave" comes from the Forgotten Realms mythology. Specifically Mystra who manages the Weave. I don't think it is necessarily the 'stuff' before it becomes divine or arcane. At least my impression in the FR is that The Weave powers both arcane and divine spells and their is no distinction in the energy, only the way the power is channeled/obtained.

Check out the Forgotten Realms Wiki, it should have more info.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2018, 23:20
'The Weave' is associated with only Arcane magic controlled by Mystra, at least in the Forgotten Realms. Divine Magic is a different thing altogether and comes from powers granted from the Gods - although the magic still depends on the Weave divine casters have no power to manipulate it in the same way Arcane casters do.

SailorLovins
March 14th, 2018, 10:33
Hmmm then with what I'm doing I'm going to have to name it something else for the world I am making. The way I am interpreting it is a sort of Pyrmid structure. There first is the raw energy that magic is. It is what the Gods draw from directly to grant spells to believers and perform miracles. Nothing can short of a major God can access much less manipulate this raw form. Mortals access through interface magic, IE...Divine and Arcane spells that shape it into a useable form. Now... A name.

lordjeb
March 14th, 2018, 17:58
"The Force"? ;)

Nickademus
March 14th, 2018, 19:02
Primal energy pulled from the essence of the inner and outer planes.

Nylanfs
March 14th, 2018, 19:22
What about dweomer?