PDA

View Full Version : Ran Attack of the Tyrantclaw

mclimbin
March 13th, 2018, 21:25
I ran Attack of the Tyrantclaw last weekend on my new gaming table with an inset 40' monitor and Fantasy Grounds. Everything went smoothly, FG worked great (thanks for everyone on the forums for all the various threads that I pillaged for advice), and my players had a great time.

However, if you run this game, there is one warning: the rules say to make 6th level characters with 3 magic items, one rare and the other two lower (so uncommon or common). My players asked if they could have rare Wondrous Items; the rules didn't specify, so they each brought a rare Wondrous Item, any one of which would have broken the game. So, they walked all over the Orcs and Dinos.

Like I said, they had a great time! More than a little frustrating for me.

If you are curious, they brought a cube of force, a horn of valhalla, and the instant fortress thingie. Sheesh.

The reason I'm posting this is in case someone in the future runs Tyrantclaw, and checks the forums to see if it's been discussed.

To those future GMs: Don't let your players have any rare items (except for maybe weapons). To more experienced GMs, this is probably common sense. Lesson learned! :)

All in all, we had fun. My players were quite amused by all the f-bombs I dropped when trying to fight the horde of berserkers. :mad::D

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2018, 21:42
Yes, the magic items question gave me a lot of headaches when I did this conversion. This was originally a 4e adventure and the way magic items worked is a little different than in 5e. Looking at the DMG rare items should start to become available at level 5 and in Xanathar's Guide it is possible that a very rare item could be obtained at level 5. Overall I think player's should get the rewards for clever play but as you say giving them open house might not be the best idea. I've only managed to run it once and a couple of players chose Cloaks of Displacement which sort of allowed them to trample all over the module too. But bottom line is that everyone had a great time, so no harm no foul.

mclimbin
March 13th, 2018, 21:44
But bottom line is that everyone had a great time, so no harm no foul.

Exactly Zacch. Thanks for your hard work converting this. We had a great time too.

Bidmaron
March 14th, 2018, 05:36
Welcome to the forums, mclimbin!

mclimbin
March 14th, 2018, 06:59
Thank you Bidmaron. Seems like a nice place.

notrealdan
March 14th, 2018, 18:15
I ran Attack of the Tyrantclaw last weekend on my new gaming table with an inset 40' monitor and Fantasy Grounds.

So, got any pics/details of your new table? I'm planning to build something along those lines and love seeing other people's designs and how they're working out!