PDA

View Full Version : Restricting Access

Pandastic
March 9th, 2018, 22:43
Hello! I'm brand new to Fantasy Grounds and excited to start running a game for my group. I have quite a few questions, but let's start with these two.

Question #1: Is there anyway to lock character sheets? I have a few players who are technologically inept and during our trial encounters have already managed to alter their pregens. Which would be fine if they could even remember what they altered to revert the changes... So i was just wondering if I could avoid running into any issues by locking their sheets in some manner to prevent such accidents.

Question #2: Is there any way to limit what buttons (large) are available to my players? I'd rather my players not have access to my NPC's and Story.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
March 9th, 2018, 23:09
Hi Pandastic welcome to FG.

1) No. just like the paper and pencil version the character sheet is fully editable.

2) Even though the players have all the buttons they cannot see your Story or NPCs, unless you have shared them with your players which obviously you should not do.

Edit: you can save the characters once complete (click the brown button at the bottom of the PC window and then on the blue arrows beside each PC). That way you can have a copy if you ever need to get back to the original.

Pandastic
March 10th, 2018, 00:04
Thanks so much Zacchaeus! Didn't know you could save a copy which is actually better in my case. As for the second questions I must have given them access by mistake.

mlesnews
March 10th, 2018, 00:34
Players are supposed to manage their own character sheets as well as export backups. Teach them early on how to put everything in each tab, including helping them fill out effects coding in the action tab. I have a directory set aside in Google Drive specifically for their characters and after the initial creation. I export the sheets after every by session#-mm-dd-yyyy.

damned
March 10th, 2018, 02:10
Did you share the adventure module you are playing?
If so - unshare it.
Have the players clear/nuke their cache.
You only share the piece of information you want to.
Eg a handout, a map (with masking if required), an item, a single story entry etc.

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2018, 02:31
When you drag a link to the chat window, it will share it with the players. When you drag a link to a character portrait in upper left, it will share it with that single player.

When you are looking at the campaign record lists that you can open from pressing the buttons on the right side, you will see a circled P for any records set to public access, and a circled S for any records shared with specific players. Just click on the P/S to remove access.

Cheers,
JPG

Pandastic
March 11th, 2018, 17:29
Sorry for the late replies!

mlesnews, yeah I need to go over with everyone what each tab does in detail to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

damned, I actually did do this by mistake. I ended up deleting the campaign and starting a new one. For whatever reason I had forgotten that I could just log in as a player in another instance of FG. I'm doing that now to make sure everything is as I'd like it to be. Is there anything I may miss checking myself this way?

Moon Wizard, I did not know this! I will keep this in mind when sharing things.

Thanks for the responses!