PDA

View Full Version : Changing the name of a field in the character sheet

CallMeTheFalcon
March 7th, 2018, 18:34
So I'm trying to figure out how to change the name of a field in the character sheet, specifically I'd like to rename the "Race" header to better fit the theme of my homebrew world. However, I'm not sure of how I would do this. I found this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24109-Custom-Character-Sheet-Help-Wanted) that had a similar request, but it requires making manual changes to the .pak file. It was mentioned in this thread that making an extension would be another solution, as the changes would not be overwritten when Fantasy Grounds updates. Has anyone made an extension like this, and if not, where should I got to find more resources on how to make such an extension?

dberkompas
March 7th, 2018, 18:51
What ruleset do you want to modify? I'll walk you through writing an extension.

Dave

CallMeTheFalcon
March 7th, 2018, 18:58
Thanks! I'm wanting to change the D&D 5E ruleset specifically. Ideally I'd like to change the name of the "Race" header in the character sheet itself as well as the name of the "Race" button in the sidebar, but I'm not sure if the latter request would be possible to do.

dberkompas
March 7th, 2018, 19:13
Renaming the ribbon graphic takes a bit of work, as you'll need to create a new graphic icon.

If you just want to replace the text on the character sheet, take a look at the file I'm attaching.

You can put this directly into your extensions directory.

It's a zip file, so feel free to take a look, there's nothing fancy going on.

I simply replaced strings_campaign.xml with an identical copy, but changed RACE to FRED.

Dave

This likely could be done a whole lot simpler using the merge command and only designating the appropriate string definition.

CallMeTheFalcon
March 7th, 2018, 19:16
Awesome! I'll take a look at the extension and poke around with it when I get home.