PDA

View Full Version : Converting large modules

Three of Swords
March 7th, 2018, 15:24
I'm looking for advice on bringing a large module like Red Hand of Doom into FG.

When creating a large adventure module, especially from a published module, do you break it down into several smaller modules or leave it as one large one?

I've read things like the Adventure Module Best Practices document (which was useful). But the one thing I haven't seen addressed is module size.

I can't think of any Pros or Cons for either method. But I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of.

Thanks for any input!

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2018, 15:36
Unless there are compelling reasons to create several separate modules (like, for example, was done for The Yawning Portal; since they were really different adventures wrapped up in one package) just do it as one.

damned
March 7th, 2018, 15:36
I ran the Red Hand of Doom on FG using Castles & Crusades.

I started converting everything in a prep campaign but stopped 1/4 way thru and only prepped maps and NPCs and Encounters. I stopped prepping speech and descriptive text etc and simply read from my physical copy those parts.

If you are going to do the lot you can do it all in one module - just keep exporting to the same name.

Three of Swords
March 7th, 2018, 15:57
Thanks for the input!

I had already planned to 'be lazy' and only do maps, NPCs, encounters, parcels, and magic items in the module. Forget all the text. Way too much of it.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a compelling reason to break it down into parts.

Callum
March 7th, 2018, 19:13
I would do it as a single module, unless there are parts that would be useful as a separate module - for example, details of a city.

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2018, 20:35
The only reason I can think of breaking it up is to help the GM remember to manage shared images. i.e. when I open a new module I need to close the old one (and therefore remove all the shred images).

Axoid
March 7th, 2018, 22:31
Thanks for the input!

I had already planned to 'be lazy' and only do maps, NPCs, encounters, parcels, and magic items in the module. Forget all the text. Way too much of it.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a compelling reason to break it down into parts.

That's what I thought I would do as well, but once I started converting it (to 5e) I just kept on going. Copying text is the easy part. once I got through all the monster conversions, NPC creation, map layouts, encounter and parcels and images, blah, blah, blah - doing the text was the quick part.

Oh, and it's one module, with separate story sections.